1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Zeliq article

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by AKMan, Jun 8, 2012.

1. AKMan

AKMan New Member

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-06-procedure-fat-cells-woman-surgery.html

The instrument clamps to the body and gets cold. It doesn't freeze but gets cold enough that it fatally damages fat cells just beneath the skin.

"It doesn't have to be very cold; the skin doesn't freeze or frostbite," Ridenour said. "Except for the tugging on the skin, it's painless."

He couldn't say what the effective temperature was. The manufacturer, Zeltiq Aesthetics Inc., won't reveal that information.

I'll bet i know the effective temperature--it's the same as a baggie full of ice and water...$1500, please.

2. Owl

Owl New Member

You've made a typo in the name, it's Zeltiq.

From http://inyourface.ocregister.com/2009/12/17/lipo-rival-zeltiq-aims-to-freeze-away-fat/13699/

“It chills the fat to about 5 degrees Centigrade [41 degrees Fahrenheit]. This is enough to cause frozen crystalline formation within the fat cells,â€￾ said Dr. Christopher Zachary, chairman of the UCI Department of Dermatology. “Keep them like this for 30-60 minutes and this induces ‘programmed cell death’ a gradual process whereby the fat cells just quietly disappear.â€￾

From http://www.americanhealthandbeauty.com/articles/?article=3138

"It's very controlled freezing of fat cells and then the fat cells don't rupture, there's no immediate death to the fat cells, it triggers apoptosis which is a programmed cell death so they die gradually over a period of three or four months. There is a specific process that the cell undergoes as it dies away." Dr. Fitzpatrick explains, "Initially it sets up an inflammatory reaction so if you biopsy the skin – the fat cell is surrounded by an inflammatory infiltrate so there are white blood cells that move into the area and actually the area feels tender, it feels kind of like a bruise if you push on it but as that resolves, the fat cells then are just gradually reabsorbed. So they go into a programmed cellular death where that's how your body gets rid of cells that are no longer useful so the cold doesn't immediately kill the cell it goes into a stage where it dies gradually."

The treatment is completely painless and is pretty simple. As Dr. Fitpatrick describes, "We have an applicator cup... with a vacuum and it pulls the skin and fat up into the cup and there are cooling plates on both sides of the cup that drop the temperature down and that controlled drop in temperature freezes the fat cells and actually once we finish we keep them frozen for about an hour – when we take the applicator cup off there's actually like a frozen stick of butter there, the skin is very firm like a little frozen brick and it is red at that point. Now it thaws over period of 5 or 10 minutes or so and then there's some redness that the skin has afterwards which is just related to increased blood flow immediately post treatment. Occasionally the patient will get a bruise much like hickey I mean so that's kind of secondary to the suction of the vacuum. If there is a bruise it will generally fade over a period of about a week or so and as I mentioned if you biopsy the skin a few days after you will see an inflammatory reaction around the fat cells and that is accompanied clinically by just some tenderness in the area. Dr. Fitzpatrick says that it is very easy to predict how the fat will be lost and that after the cells die, they are reabsorbed into the body. "You lose that layer of fat cells that's right underneath the surface of the skin. It's a very predictable process, it's good for spot reduction but right underneath the outer layer of the skin, right underneath the dermis there's a layer that will be lost that's about at the most about a half inch in thickness. That layer will be the same no matter how much fat is underneath it, you cannot make it take out more fat if there's a big thick layer. So, sometimes if you have a thick layer you may want to go back after about three of four months and retreat the same spot but in most patients the single treatment works really well.

Around 25% of the unwanted fat can be removed in a single treatment. Slight contour differences are visible after three weeks but dramatic results may take between 3 to 6 months to be seen. This is the period of time the body needs to naturally eliminate the fat. Some patients may actually need a second treatment, which can be done after two to four months, reducing another 20% of fat."

3. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

So 41f might be the magic number. the coldest i have done CT is 42f and I felt it was more effective and not uncomfortable. I'm going for 41 or lower if I can get my water down that low.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Dali that is not correct......remember the parameters they are using that you are not.......they use metal as the conductance 100 times more conductive than air and 75 times more than water.....but they also do this in 45 minutes.....and it takes 6 weeks for the apoptosis to happen........with CT the process is slower but safe because when you shorten duration and use metal you can induce thermal injury awfully fast........ask me how I know.......when I began I did all kinds of crazy things and I found out about how to safely to do this trial and error..........My protocol is safe and can be done by anyone in their house.

5. AKMan

AKMan New Member

That's what happens when you try to type right out of 35 degree bath...

6. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I do enjoy the colder temps.

7. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

So then, how many hours x days of spot CT do you think is equal to a single zeltiq treatment?

8. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I thought the point of CT was more broad then spotting specific fat cells? I thought getting of skin temps down cause an overall cellular reaction that helps our bodies burned stored fat but also increased our metabolism to prevent storage I the future? Granted I spot and tub and I do believe the spotting has helped but was looking long term overall better health. I don't see how the Zeltiq would give those benefits.

9. Greg rx

Greg rx New Member

Ok, I am dying to share this. I have been spot cting my abdomen for the last 8 or 10 weeks along with air adapting by riding my bike in shorts and short sleeves. This started back in March here in Michigan with temps in the thirties. Two relative points 1) I reached my halfway goal this morning and it appears I lost all 30 pounds from my stomach. 2) On my way down the stairs after weighing myself, I caught sight of my calf and ankle muscles in the mirror at the bottom of the stairs . Even though I am still quite obese, this part of my body looks ripped and well defined. Keep in mind the extreme cold (and exercise ) this part of my body was exposed to. Also note worthy is the lack of feeling of lactic acid build up from my statin damaged muscles. The muscle fatigue has returned since the temps have increased, but much improved and getting better all the time.

Now I just have to figure out how to get full body ct.

10. Greg rx

Greg rx New Member

Do you think it is safe to put ice on my fat cheeks?

11. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Zeltiq is only for spot reduction of fat deposits. It's not the same as CT'ing for optimal health reasons. However, if you are CT'ing with submersion in cold water and or spot ice, directing some of that cold on your love handles will have the added benefit of Zeltiq-like fat removal.

12. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Butt cheeks or face cheeks?

I think most people with 'chubby cheeks' of the facial variety don't really have fat cheeks, it's just the facial features and musculature that make them look that way.

Either way, I'm sure it's safe, but I've seen a lot of Eskimo's with round faces and chubby cheeks.

13. ealachan

ealachan New Member

So...reading this thread made me wonder something, and I apologize if this has been answered 437,405 times before and I just missed it, but: why does cold seem to destroy fat cells but NOT other kinds of cells?

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

That answer is based in evolution......of leptin. And I have not hit it yet but the next big series will have some other facts about fat that may surprise you. Fat is directly tied to our environmental cues.......our DNA faces.

15. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I read that fat has a higher freezing point than other tissues. Zetiq works because it can freeze the fat, but not surrounding skin or muscle.

16. ealachan

ealachan New Member

That would make perfect sense, really. If you put the same size lumps of fat and protein in the freezer, the fat will freeze solid much sooner than the protein.

Interesting.

17. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Interesting observation ealachan!

18. Just got a side of beef this week (yeah!).

The frozen cyo-vac'd fat I had them give me felt significantly less cold to the touch than everything else. Not strange conceptually, but very weird when you feel the difference with your own hands.