1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Zakalyatsa: Russian cold adaptation

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by PaleoDentist, Apr 9, 2012.

1. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

I just remembered something interesting...

We had a Russian family (only been in the US for 3 years) rent the house next door for the winter. They walked around every day in the yard, but dressed really warm. They have 2 little kids too. She commented to me though that my kids weren't dressed warm enough for the cold!

2. Birdy

Birdy New Member

Sure would like to hear from Dr. Ukropec

3. Coriander

Coriander Silver

4. I can't stop watching the russian you tube ice dunking stuff! I wish I spoke this!

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

stop watching and begin doing.......

6. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

I'm in Jamaica now (vacation). Fortunately there is a cold plunge pool here a the spa. 58F. My 8 y/o son and my friend's children (8 and 11) love getting into the cold plunge pool with me. they beg me to go every day! we even go twice a day. the love it. now they are jabbering about getting cold adapted. its pretty wild, but they enjoy the cold water and do not seem very frazzled by it.

7. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

I love the song! Thanks, I had no idea there was one!

can't wait to watch the videos when i have time!

8. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I get a pop-up button offering to translate the page, and while it doesn't tell me what she's saying, it does say she's 86 years old and still does the icy lake bathing, snow rubbing, and cold water pouring. It refers to the lake bath as "swimming in the hole." Another "swim in the hole" video popped up in the sidebar, and this lady is doing it the way I expect most of us would ... slowly, tentatively, getting herself psyched up for it, unlike the girls with the babies or the 86 year old lady.

9. Coriander

Coriander Silver

Thanks MG! Wow, she's 86?! I watched it a few times; she's amazing.

10. lioness7

lioness7 Gold

I can only say wow! He looks like he just ate a chocolate ice cream cone, so content. My MIL would have a major shit fit........Great video!

11. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

She is saying:

"rub the snow on the eyes so you have better sight.

when there is no snow splash with cold water.

see the steam off my body. this means i am hot"

the interviewer said: "its 10 degrees Celsius now."

"now I will have some tea with honey"

note how lean she is.

12. Coriander

Coriander Silver

Thankyou! Do you think this is a news story because her behaviour is unusual? Is it done with a sense of pride/respect, or amusement?

13. jihad4o

jihad4o New Member