1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Zakalyatsa: Russian cold adaptation

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by PaleoDentist, Apr 9, 2012.

1. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

I was born in northern Russia. I immigrated to the US when I was 9.

It dawned on me a few days ago that there is a word in Russian, ZAKALYATSA. It basically means cold adapted.

I went to my parents house for Passover dinner on Saturday. there were a bunch of their friends, all Russian, ranging in ages form 55-75. I asked them about the meaning of the word and the the process.

the general consensus was this: zakatyatsa is done to improve the immune system and people who practice this never get sick in winter. basically it is people who tolerate the cold or are able to withstand the cold. they spoke about taking cold showers, splashing themselves with cold water in the morning, swimming in cold water. they said the epitome of this practice are people who swim in ice cold water in the winter. they are called "seals". In the US, we call this "the polar bear club".

Thuis has been practiced for hundreds if not thousands of years in Russia. it is ingrained in the language and culture. People who are "zakalyeniye" are very respected for their abilities.

Thought this was pretty interesting, and in line with what Dr K believes!

2. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Thanks; awesome! There's a great video of people doing this on YouTube; unfortunately it's all in Polish, so I LOVE your English explanation!

3. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

Awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing this story :)

4. iliarski@yahoo.com

iliarski@yahoo.com New Member

I'm also from Russia (Ukraine, to be exact...). ZAKALYAISYA means something like "expose yourself to cold to get stronger", similar to how you convert iron to steel - by putting hot iron into a cold water. Ever since reading about CT and every time I get in the cold shower/tub, I cannot help but start singing a Russian song from the Soviet times, I think, 1940s... Rough translation of this song from Russian to English sounds something like

"If you want to be healthy, ZAKALYAISYA, try to forget about the doctors, get under cold water. Sun, air, and water are the best remedies from all illnesses, zakalyaisya and get as strong as steel..." This song has a very uplifting melody - you can find it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXk3gPD3s34&feature=related[/video]][video=youtube_share;JXk3gPD3s34]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXk3gPD3s34&feature=related[/video]

NaturalHealthForLife likes this.
  5. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

How cool! Norwegian are the same, they roll around in the snow and the people who has done it for decades seem to live very long in good health.

6. agatha

agatha New Member

Please could you give is a phonetic version of the words of the song together with the meanings - i want to sing that song in my bath!

7. agatha

agatha New Member

There are loads of clips on winter swimming in Russia on YouTube - pop across and have a look if you want some inspiration!

8. eva

eva New Member

i originally from estonia, living in finland - it is traditional in both countries :)

9. Tucker

Tucker Silver

10. iliarski@yahoo.com

iliarski@yahoo.com New Member

Here is the transcription:

ZAKALYAISYA!

Esli hochesh byt' zdorov,

Postaraisya pozabit' pro doctorov,

Vodoi holodnoi oblivaysya,

Esli hochesh byt' zdorov!

Nam polezney

Solntse, vozduh i voda

Ot bolezney

Pomagaiut nam vsegda

Ot vseh bolezney nam polezney

Solntse, vozduh i voda...

If you do a search on youtube for the following word , you'll find a lot of Russian clips with winter swimming: Закаляйся

11. Wow! I wonder if my babies would totally freak out if I put them in the cold pool with us. I also wonder how long would be safe to have them in the cold pool.

12. Tucker

Tucker Silver

Hi Trisha,

I would think if you did just a quick dunk to begin with would be a good start, just like they did in the video. It seems like that has been a tradition for a long time in Russia. I wonder if some of the Russians on the forum could ask their grandmothers to give us some tips on how to do CT with the babies. Isn't it cool how all this old wisdom is resurfacing?

I would think if you did this with your babies they would never get sick, considering all the information that is coming out about cold adaptation and the up regulation of the immune system.

Did you notice how red the skin got on the 2nd baby after getting out of the water? I'm assuming that was his BAT engaging after the cold dunk.

This is so intriguing! The more and more I learn about CT the more and more I'm getting excited about obtaining Optimal Health myself!!!

Here's to COLD ADAPTED BABIES!!! These babies are going to RULE the WORLD, because they will be the only ones healthy enough to do so.

13. That would be awesome!

Oh boy... I'm going to make my babies MAD I'll bet! My 7 year old swims with us. Now I just need to figure out a way to get my 3 year old on board :)

14. Marsha

Marsha New Member

Fantastic thread -thanks, paledentist! -and all of you!

15. Tucker

Tucker Silver

Trisha,

Your babies might be surprised at first but if you go into the water with the same attitude as those Russian mothers did with their babies I don't think your babies would be mad at all. Those Russian mothers just seemed to have a very calm and matter of fact attitude as they walked up to the lake and then under the water we go. If you convey the unspoken attitude to your babies that hey we are going to have fun and this is completely normal and for the highest good they will totally pick up on that and will reap huge health potentials.

Now if you do end up doing this you MUST make sure you video your first dunk with them and then post on the forum. I would love to see it. Those twins are going to be cold adapted SUPERSTARS!!!!

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Many think children can not do CT and they are actually better adapted to it than we are. Babies are born with a lot of BAT. Children tolerate cold very well.

17. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Remember the First Nations grandmother said that they did the same thing - dunked newborns in cold water.

My 2yo just hopped right in the bath with me and loved it. Not a complaint! When she got out, she wasn't cold at all, whereas she is normally shivering like crazy after a warm or hot bath.

I LOVE these videos and stories. Keep 'em coming!

I love that the mothers, and those in the Polish video, show people just getting in the water. They're not intimidated, not inching in super slowly; you can tell they're already used to it and it's no biggie. They're not even shivering to death as they walk to the water, ro when they get out.

Awesome! Normal!

18. agatha

agatha New Member

Thanks for the lyrics Tsatsa.

I loved the babies clip - though I'd want to take precautions against slipping and accidentally dropping the baby in the cold water. It was amazing to see how unconcerned and pink the babies were.

19. OMG that is so awesome! I want a little ice baby!! Wonder if CT will turn back the clock enough so a mid-40's can have a bambino.

20. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

That baby video is amazing! I love it.

I used to have an old Swiss neighbor who told me that over there they would put their babies in their prams for a nap outside everyday, even in the winter, to make keep them healthy. She told me this after my first was born (in December too). I thought that sounded scary and didn't do it, but how I wish I knew then what I know now! Out in the cold she would have gone!