1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Yummy Uyghur skewers

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by drezy, Mar 22, 2018.

1. drezy

drezy Gold

Every spring I start remembering eating the interesting Uyghur ethnic food when I was in China's capitol and it was yummy. Since it was being served in the Capitol it was one ethnic group's take on another ethnic group's food.

I whipped up some of these on a trial run and will be making them for dinner with the below edits. You may want to tone down the red pepper flakes to whatever your spicy sensibility level:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/05/spicy-lamb-skewers-chinese-street-food-recipe.html

Edits to the recipe:
    Fatty Pork shoulder substituted for Lamb (it fits right in)

Added 1 t powdered Fenugreek to dry rub
    Added 2 t turmeric to dry rub

Social implications:
    I have this cheap tabletop grill we all sit and talk and tend to our own skewers. I like this so much more than having one cook running around like an idiot(aka me usually). There is something about having a little fire near you and a swirl of cooking food smells while we all wait that seems to encourage more discussion and just a plain old happier family.

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Looks so good - thanks Dan.

You sit this table top grill on your table? seems like a stupid question I know ..........but I would worry about harming our table......

3. drezy

drezy Gold

FWIW I think the recipe mentioned by @John Saf is more optimal in cooking technique:

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/pork-belly-suggestions.520/#post-237367

It's just once in a while in spring I just like to reproduce one of the best street foods I ever had.

The grill I have sits 5"(12+cm) above the table and I placed a small oven/smoker rack wrapped in foil right under the grill. It's seems to reflect the heat away from the table well. If it ever proves insufficient I'll get some metal plating. There is something nice about cooking together in the evening with a little hot infrared bathing everyones face as they cook. I can feel any tension in my own face get totally relaxed after a few minutes.

Maybe when putting my best face forward to my family it's a infrared heated face that's best...

caroline and Lahelada like this.