1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Your wired internet experience/speed

Discussion in 'The EMF Rx' started by Hope, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Hope

Hope Gold

So I am still on the phone with our provider....it's been 1.5 hours and 4 people. I can't switch back to anything DSL. The FIOS folks actually had to look up if you could turn off wifi on our router...guess no one asks that? Ugh.

My head is spinning. It appears that we can turn off the wifi feature and then use the same high speed via the ethernet?? Would ethernet over FIOS be just as bad as wireless, or slightly better than wireless? Hm.

Gotta get out in nature and hug some cherry trees...

Have any of you made the switch, besides Audrey in Oz? Would love to hear...

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

3. tweety

tweety New Member

I'm looking into this setup like shijin posted. we switched providers and I specifically asked for direct connection, no wireless. Guess what... we have wireless. And even though we are directly connected, we can't turn off the wifi during the day. I forwarded shilohman's post to my husband so we could figure it out but it's slow going around here.

4. Hope

Hope Gold

ooooooooooh Gretchen, brilliant. THANKS!!!!!!

5. lioness7

lioness7 Gold

I was told that I could take my wifi hub, call the company and have them explain how to turn off the wifi. Once it is wired with an ethernet cable, the computers and hub do not talk anymore with the wifi off. The hub can be placed in the basement or anywhere else far away enough so that it is only receiving the signal to the hub and not transmit to the computers in the house. Also , I found out a while ago that my printer (about a year or more old) eventhough I had never set it up wirelessly, was still on wireless mode by default....ugh. I went into the programming mode and was able to turn it off. Just for some further info for those who have gaming systems: Wi , once off is off, but the controllers are emitting wifi everytime your kids play. The more hand sets, the more signals. Some systems such as xbox, even when turned off emit a signal :(, apparently that is how they come from the factory...i guess just another thing to worry about/consider. Without an ethernet connection, I will have to go back to dial up (no, horrors, 24k speed) in which case I can no longer watch webinars, download talks etc...shudder the thought!

6. Hope

Hope Gold

Lioness, that is fascinating. It's like they are purposely trying to fry all our brains out!!!! lol I guess it's to make it all super easy for you when you get it...just plug and play. I never had any electronic games, and I never missed them (as a kid)...nor now. I like playing outside, still.

I just still wonder if it's truly off...and if Gretchen's path isn't better. I have to look into it, if DH lets me. But my gut says, there's still something bad...otherwise, why would Michael Neuert have a slower connection rather than doing this (just turn wifi off). It can't be the price.....

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

I had this very conversation yesterday with the Internet provider ....on my modem the wireless lite was lit. Even tho I had had 2 glasses of wine - I was very concerned ....so he went thru the steps with me to turn off the wifi and he did something too. I recognize that I really don't know for sure without testing but-
    But I questioned him multiple times about it and he kept assuring me that there would be no Emfs....

He was very kind and patient and knowledgeable - so I will trust him for now. After we were done - I told him that he now needed a glass of wine. He said his wife doesnt like him drinking but will tell her that I said it was necessary!

8. Inger

Inger Silver

The modum I got for wired internet had the wifi on too! I did not know before my bro come and told me! He turned it off on the internet site of the providers. I would never have managed it for sure, I had no idea at all.. I lived about 1 week in the believe I had no wifi, but it was on all the time..lol You can check it when looking on the modem, there is a light that must be lit (green), the wifi - light.

I have way better connection now. The wifi did not worked well here. So slow and bad connection, especially when bad weather. The wired works great! I took the fastest connection they had, to make it more efficient and spend less time on the computer. Slow connections sucks. High speed is more expensive but it really pays back.

9. Hope

Hope Gold

Inger, wow - so glad you are all set now.

I thought I could just buy an ethernet cable but maybe not.

here is a website I just found.....about what wifi does even when not in use:

http://www.emfwise.com/low-emf-computer.php

"Your internet access via cable modem, DSL, or FiOS, may have come with a wireless router by default. These wireless routers transmit all the time by design, even when the internet is not in use. See just how strong wi-fi signals are and recommended distances Some models of wireless routers allow users to disable the wireless capability using the web-based setup interface. A few models even allow for power level reduction (e.g., up to a factor of 10) and/or scheduling capability."

...I should have not been OK with getting wifi in 2010. I was always against it before...ugh. Would be so much easier. Definitely learned my lesson, though. Must totally change my day. Have specific times to be on the net - and nothing more, and turn off wifi - i.e. the wireless router...until we're on ethernet. DH is NOT happy I want to get rid of wifi. It's so so sad.....it's like his god. He doesn't care I guess how much it affects me (not him, he thinks, I guess). anyway......

10. David

David Silver

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

12. Hope

Hope Gold

OMG HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!! This is so so funny. SO funny........

I think I just decided not to get an iPad......I was thinking of it bc sometimes I travel and need internet access for email and conferencing....but must do something else.

Thanks so much, David

13. Inger

Inger Silver

Yeah... I loved the video clip too...LOL too cool... haha

14. tellmisty

tellmisty Administrator

So, I've got an Apple setup and today, I successfully killed my wifi. No signal coming from the Time Capsule or my computer. And my internet is actually faster. :) I've got to figure out the printer piece now ... how I'm going to get things to print ... and I have to order a new wired trackpad. But relatively small obstacles to overcome. :) I took an RF meter around last night with Michael on the phone to test for RF fields ... fortunately, the electric fields in my house are really low, so we just had to find where all the RF fields were coming from. I even threw the breaker on the whole house to test. It felt very ghost busters; heh.

I might need to look into some shielding now for one side of the house, but I feel much better knowing that I've taken out the biggest source of RF in my home / office!

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

way to go Misty!

16. Hope

Hope Gold

Faster with wired internet, wow!! May I ask..what speeds are you at? I need some ammunition for my DH

17. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

18. Hope

Hope Gold

Oh thanks ATLP!!!! Awesome. I will send this to my DH, building my business case for wired. He may say "I like convenience...."

I will keep at it

19. I recently received and installed my 'network over power' kit and finally disabled the wi-fi on my Airport Extreme. The relative performance of my desktop computer, Playstation 3 and Roku streaming video box is noticeably faster now that they're hardwired. Not only that but my emf readings are considerably diminished.

20. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

OK..... still reading through the EMF.... how terrible is it to have Wireless? What if you only use your computer while having your feet on an Earthing Mat...