1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Would anyone be interested in a monitor that isn't lighted by LED?

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Tarun, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Tarun

Tarun Silver

Hi folks,

I'm considering making a monitor which has the backlight removed, and can therefore be lighted by sunlight, candlelight, or basically any light you place behind it.

Think something like this, but less barebones:

Would anyone be interested in such a device?

2. Wesley Fujishin

Wesley Fujishin New Member

I would be!

Tarun likes this.
  3. Who wouldn't be? That's really cool!

Tarun likes this.
  4. Wesley Fujishin

Have you done a successful mod of a battery powered monitor, either part of a laptop or independent?

5. Tarun

Tarun Silver

Glad you like the idea!

I haven't done such a mod yet, but I've just ordered the first monitor to tinker with and make this a reality. Will keep you folks posted in this thread.

6. Tarun

Tarun Silver

Finally weekend, had some time to tinker with it.

Started off with a refurbished LCD monitor
    [​IMG]

Standard monitor that you would see in doctor's offices and the like. The stand was quite heavy.
    [​IMG]

First check whether it actually works, would save a lot of hassle if I find out now rather than later
    [​IMG]

Removed the stand
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Removed the shell
    [​IMG]

Removed the power cables for the backlights
    [​IMG]

Removed the back subshell (making up words) that contains the circuitboards
    [​IMG]

When you remove the back subshell, you come across the backside of the lighting panel
    [​IMG]

This is the circuit board of the LCD screen, it wraps around the top of the lighting panel, otherwise it would obstruct the light coming from the panel. This is something I didn't realize before when thinking of making the natural light monitor.
    [​IMG]

7. Tarun

Tarun Silver

I forgot to keep making pictures at this point, but at some point the LCD screen fell of my desk and it bended the connectors, effectively breaking the monitor. :(
    [​IMG]

It's a bit hard to see in the picture, but the LCD panel is indeed see-through and looks dark green by default.
    [​IMG]

These are all the components that (I think) are necessary to run the monitor. THere's the LCD panel, the circuit board for the power cable, the circuit boards for the VGA and USB cables, and a circuit board with buttons to turn on the monitor and the buttons for the monitor settings.
    [​IMG]

I'll buy another monitor and give it another ago next weekend. I want to test whether the monitor actually works in the setup of the final picture.

If it does, I need to find an extension cable of the SHS E188165 flat cable, so the cable doesn't interfere with back lighting. If I can manage this, my plan is to 3d print a shell and then work on reducing the EMF.

I'm also extremely curious what to see that the color spectrum would look like, but it's a bit too steep so shell out more than a grand for a Spectrometer MK 350D. I've been looking into renting a spectrometer instead, but am only able to find ones for industrial applications, not for testing led screens. If anyone in the Netherlands has a spectrometer I can rent, let me know.

8. Wesley Fujishin

Do you need to use a special variety of spectrometers for LCD screens? Looking forward to seeing more progress!