1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Worried about Mercury in Fish: Don't be.

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Jack Kruse, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Quote, "But in the case of mercury, that doesn’t happen. You can have a lot of mercury in the presence of lipids and no direct damage occurs. What it’s really all coming down to is that tissues that have a lot of oxygen consumption, like brain or heart, they produce a lot of free radicals or oxidative molecules, and so you need a real potent antioxidant system to keep those oxidative molecules from harming your brain lipids or your heart lipids, and if you don’t have those enzymes doing their job, you will start accumulating damage rapidly."

My take away: The brain has the best built in system ever to protect us.......unless your brain is suboptimal, then mercury can cause some issues.......

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

4. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

Thanks for this. I always can use some reassurance in simple explanations.

5. TheKid

TheKid Gold

I'm more worried about the Fukashima radiation than mercury, cause my only source of wild fish is sourced from Alaska and Canada.

6. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

This interview helped with a nuance I hadn't understood before. It is not that selenium binds to the mercury and makes it inactive... it is that mercury binds up selenium. Hence, the mercury in the fish is less than the selenium, you still have a net positive of selenium and Se is essential to health. So it isn't the total amount of mercury in the fish, it's the ratio that is most important (I love how he suddenly made eating tuna a good thing!). This also helps explain why a net positive of Se in the body can override concern about mercury levels upon testing.

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

BG has a nice Selenum section. So does the top 10 supplement blog.

8. Endless

Endless Guest

Any thoughts on the Fukoshima concerns?

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I have been looking at fishery data from west coast........concerned yes. But the only thing I have done is stayed away from West Coast fish and I buy from gulf and East coast.

10. Inger

Inger Silver

I am not that much concerned, even if eating fish regularely from the probably most radioactive sea in word. Baltic sea.

I have been reading a Norwegian book about radiation. People here are concerned about Tjernobyl spreading radioactive waste here too. But the book tells, the radiaton we get just from nature naturally are quite huge and reading the book gave me a very different view.

Around Tjernobyl there are lots of wildlife now. Deer, all kind of animal. They prosper. How can they? In this extremely polluted area? I dunno but I am thinking when one eats natural wild foods and lot of seaweeds it will not affect you too bad. Why would someone die and others got nothing, even if they were very close when the explosion in Tjernobyl happened? There must be a reason why. Not even after many years. Many moved back to the polluted area, growing their vegetables and stuff. There are such reports in the newspapers now and then here. Makes me think. Makes me be not afraid, when I only eat from all the superfoods in nature.

Sure I mix my sources and try to get fish from antlantic too. But I am not afraid to eat the fish here. The fishermen in Finland are very healthy even in old age despite eating the fish in baltic sea says research from our government.

I would say.. eating more seaweeds.. But yes, I do my own Nr.1. I sure will report if I start to feel ill or something. So far nothing. I do go for testing as much as I have money, so far everything looks great!

Lindsay Alfieri likes this.
  11. TheKid

TheKid Gold

@Inger - I'd still be concerned.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20002056

In many European countries levels of I-131, Cs-134/137, Sr-90, and other radionuclides in milk, dairy products, vegetables, grains, meat, and fish increased drastically (sometimes as much as 1,000-fold) immediately after the catastrophe. Up until 1991 the United States imported food products with measurable amounts of Chernobyl radioactive contamination, mostly from Turkey, Italy, Austria, West Germany, Greece, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Sweden, and Denmark. These products included juices, cheeses, pasta, mushrooms, hazelnuts, sage, figs, tea, thyme, juniper, caraway seeds, and apricots. In Gomel, Mogilev, and Brest provinces in Belarus 7-8% of milk and 13-16% of other food products from small farms exceeded permissible levels of Cs-137, even as recently as 2005-2007. As of 2000, up to 90% of the wild berries and mushrooms exceeded permissible levels of Cs-137 in Rovno and Zhytomir provinces, Ukraine. Owing to weight and metabolic differences, a child's radiation exposure is 3-5 times higher than that of an adult on the same diet. From 1995 to 2007, up to 90% of the children from heavily contaminated territories of Belarus had levels of Cs-137 accumulation higher than 15-20 Bq/kg, with maximum levels of up to 7,300 Bq/kg in Narovlya District, Gomel Province. Average levels of incorporated Cs-137 and Sr-90 in the heavily contaminated territories of Belarus, Ukraine, and European Russia did not decline, but rather increased from 1991 to 2005. Given that more than 90% of the current radiation fallout is due to Cs-137, with a half-life of about 30 years, we know that the contaminated areas will be dangerously radioactive for roughly the next three centuries.

12. I'm with Inger on this one. Life has had to deal with radiation of all sorts for a very long time. Certainly mother nature has through evolutionary processes developed "countermeasures" to mitigate negative cellular effects. Certainly acute exposure to unnaturally high levels would be catastrophic, but relatively "normal" and chronic exposure would be easily handled by healthy organisms, including humans. I think the science on this is still immature, but from an evolutionary perspective, ... Maybe not, imho.

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The more fat the food has the better protected it is from radiation. The same is true of foods.

Helio Silva likes this.
  14. Joann

Joann New Member

I had my hair tested about 2 years ago from Genova.....fwiw, it showed High uranium and bismuth (i dont use any bismuth products) not what I was expecting since I only ate fish, no meat at that time, was no mercury problem.

15. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

I must be reallllly protected. LOL :p

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Im not concerned at all with radiation in fish.

Toby King and Danny like this.
  17. Toby King

Toby King Gold

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Why do you have to be careful with alternative meme's and narratives that are linked to money? Often they are not true and people get "herded" into a belief system that they need expensive testing and therapies to remove their risk of heavy metal toxicity. I see it daily. Mercury is prevalent in apex marine predators, it can be a problem with eating these types of meats often. (tuna). However the lower in the food chain you go the "less prevalent it is". So eat your oysters as the Epi-paleo Rx tells you! The selenium in the seafood is what protects against metal poisoning. If you are worried, eat a Brazil nut every day. What about quick Mercury bio hack from my upcoming bio-hacking book? In high mercury toxicity states you might notice that your balance is not good after an acute exposure. Any time I go to my dentists office for anything or eat predator fish as I often do, I do this test on myself. I also do it after I eat seafood to see if the fish might have been tainted. Try to do some yoga poses that require you to be on one leg. You will notice a big change and your balance will be decidedly off from normal. When this happens I usually supplement immediately with Selenium and eat a lot of Cilantro the next two weeks. Why? It’s a natural mercury chelator and selenium is the antidote for mercury toxicity. Now if you have high heteroplasmy rates and your mitochondrial makes a ton of ROS/RNS then you need to get spectroscopy testing to truly see if you are toxic. Most people are not. For those who are then you really need to worry way more about the light in your environment and not the fish you're eating. Why? Hg in your body can act as the receiver of resonant energy from light if it is present. I only tell folks to avoid mercury vapor fluorescent bulbs if they have documented mercury toxicity. Hg bulbs are a light source that can act as a sender of resonant energy to the atoms of mercury in your tissues. This is one of the reasons, as a former dentist, I am not in favor of amalgam removal in most cases. It seems counterintuitive to my core beliefs I share with you here daily, but let me explain why. In its free form, Hg easily vaporizes at room temperatures. It likes to find harbor in fatty tissues below the skin. When Hg is charged by a current or photoelectrically by blue light it can be a real nightmare. Mercury has a spectral array that give two lines in the violet/blue at 404.66 And 407.79, one in the indigo range at 435.84, one in turquoise at 490.05, one in lemon at 546.08 and two in the yellow range at 576.92 and 579.03. It binds to sulfur enzymes which act to remove these compounds from biologic use and interferes with ECT in mitochondria directly below its location by lowering energy production in mitochondria. I am not worried about Hg resonance with outdoor lights/sun because UVA/UVB light does not penetrate our surfaces deeply. The blue light in sunlight is balanced by the red light in sun.

But I worry about it a lot in dental reconstructions done indoors because most biologic dentists are completely unaware of the risks of resonant light transfer from fluorescent or LED bulbs in their dental lights, offices, or their oral work lamps. If they are going to work on you teeth in this type of light environment, you should request a red lit environment when undergoing removal of amalgams. I have yet to hear of one biologic dentist in the USA that even knows about this mechanism of energy transfer. Their offices are built with blue/white LED and fluorescent lights which all have higher color temperatures as a result. This is akin to putting a match to gasoline with respect to Hg toxicity. Blue light is very dangerous in this case because it can penetrate very deeply into fat layers where Hg lies dormant, and dentists wear lamps on their heads that have extreme blue spikes at 435 nm with high color temperatures that can photoelectrically energize Hg in your tissues. So those with mercury issues focus in on fish when they should be focused in on their light environment. This risk is much greater with blue artificial light because it penetrates far deeper that UVA/UVB light can as the picture shows. Hg is rarely found in surfaces of the body. there is speculation it maybe in the retina but if true I should be dead considering how much DHA is in my RPE.

mrc, Jenelle and Phosphene like this.
  19. caroline

caroline Moderator

I have to have a bridge repaired. I guess I, at least, should take my blue blockers and eat a ton of seafood...

Any other suggestions?

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

bring your own red bulbs and ask the dentist if you can change them out with his LED's and fluoresecents..........she'll/he'll likely laugh but the interaction might teach her/him something