1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Women Who Chart Basal Body Temps etc.

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by L8F, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Ok.. I'm a total HOT MESS of HORMONES! WTF?! I have no clue if this is DETOX, the adjustment to the hormones, the or the chaos of PMS! Last night DH and I had a total blow out, feelings were hurt on both sides, and I was so mad I left and went for a drive - which freaked DH out b/c he knew he EFFED up. Eventually I came back and we ended up talking through everything - laying both of our issues out, and trying to figure out what we each needed to do to fix what we both broke. fortunately, even though we're both bad at communication, and telling the other person what's wrong - when we have a blow out - the results are for the better of our relationship. we decided we each needed to come up w/5 things we wanted to work on for ourselves, and 5 things we want to work on for each other and the family,we'll share those w/each other and we'll focus on 1 from each list, a month for the next 5mths, then start over.

it took us talking until about 3am to get everything out on the table, and get over our anger at each other, and hurt feelings... but at least we worked it out. ugghhh the end result to all this was a freaking migraine due to lack of sleep, and all the emotional stress... And here I was doing so well w/o a migraine... so Now I've had a migraine - but I don't know if its the result of hormones (I don't think it is - based upon what happened last night) or just stress from the blow out - and the ensuing late night talk session to get it worked out... Damn... marriage is hard freaking work! One thing I can say is I'm glad the kids were asleep while we were fighting...I wasn't the best person I could have been last night....

2. That Sux, Shijin13. Not to be too "woo woo" on ya, but there is some bumpy astrological weather going on right now...maybe all this resetting and rewiring has you more sensitive?

Sometimes things do have to explode first to be put back together ... kind of like what it feels like is going on internally, just natural that it would be seen externally as well.

Glad you worked it through. Be easy on yourself and your dh!

As for me...I felt like I was major wussing out on CT, so I re-dedicated myself last night with a 45 minute cold tub. I was really cold. And this morning, my temp is down even lower - 96.9. I did a 30min spot CT session at 6:45 am and I am still cold! Shouldn't CT be helping my internal temp?

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

My Hormones are a freaking mess... my cycle this month was 26days! WTF??? Completely explains the total meltdown 2nights ago! so I'm guessing the migraine I had yesterday was both stress and Hormonally induced. I think I need to go up in P, but I want to follow this cycle a bit before providing more feedback... to the DzLogic folks...

4. L8F

L8F New Member

Shijin, sorry. That all sucks. In answer to earlier question on hunger pre TOTM, YES!!! It is out of control. Also think the E dump and CT is something to think about, and sounds very plausible. I have not done CT in abut a month!! After I got sick, then PMS timeframe, I have just not wanted to get back into it. Also got a lot busier, and was feeling better generally too.

I hope that the DZ folks can get your BHRT on track. This stuff has no easy answer, and it seems that everyone you read/see has different ways of assessing what one needs. I went to a new Funct. MD and she likes DHEA at above 100, which is low compared to reading I have done. ALso she doesn't like to muck around too much with hormones if possible. She prefers clinical signs over straight lab values which I appreciate, but wish she were more into lab values a little since mine suck! Ugh, so hard to sort out. Easier to say to a person as a clinician "Let's watch and wait, you are on the right track" when they are not the one going through hormone induced hell!! Glad you and DH sorted it out, always tough.

She gave me a supp that feels helpful---I had the option of Cytomel for T3 or the supp called Biotics Research Brand GTA-forte (not Forte II) which she said is a glandular formula with the T4 removed (so only T3) as well as some thyroid support minerals etc. It def has an effect.

Maybe a cycle of temping too would be helpful to see where things are at? But it might be too hard to do with two little guys etc.

5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I probably should temp - the problem is finding a good bbt - that doesn't run on batteries - that I can grab 1st thing in the am when I wake up...but alot of times I'm up at 430-5am, when the boy climbs into bed, then I go back to sleep.... then wake up to nurse him w/in the next hour & 1/2

6. ChristineKleiber

ChristineKleiber New Member

My two cents... it is possible if you have been without ovulating for a while that you will have middlesmerch - ovulatory pain. Also it is not uncommon to have a dip in temps before the rise post ovulation. I would stick with the progesterone cream another 10 days and then drop it. If the current discomfort is ovulatory then you've covered yourself with progesterone for the LP. If you discover in the next few days that your temp drop and discomfort is an attempt at menstruation, then ditch the progesterone as soon as you make that discovery.

7. ChristineKleiber

Okay, do I need to drive around the beltway and find you??? Siorry that you had that blow up - since I can say I've pegged the PMDD meter before, I can appreciate hormonal disasters and the havoc they wreak on a marriage. Glad you have a plan in place.

Now for the serious plug for BBT - I do the oral with the digital that you can find in most drugstores, it is just a minute. Now the glass therm for the vag should go about 6 mins. Whenever I start stirring and think I might be up for the day, in it goes. I have to put on my glasses for a sec to note the time across the room. And then I lay there, trying to discern which day of the week it is, how I am going to order my stay at home life, say a few prayers, that sort of thing. If I fall back to sleep - no worries, just note the time when I do get up. I do have a baseline time that I usually get up and then the dh just adjusts the temp from there. If I do have to get out of bed at a particular time (like when I was doing that 0515 CF class) I set my double alarm, 6 mins apart - to go off with classical music -- so much more humane than an alarm.

1 click on amazon is all it takes to get one :)

Holler if you need help doing time adjustments on charts.

8. ChristineKleiber

Almost afraid to post this, but my cycle continues to be better. Last month went long because of the delayed ovulation being sick, but I had a really nice mark of TOTM unlike the 5 months of ammenorhea I had before I tried to get LS. The libido is really back on the front end of the cycle - strong from about day 7. Tons of CM - almost feel like I'm back in my 30's, other than I do have some staining from that dang fibroid. Things I'm looking for this cycle - LP length. Looks like I'm still a bit short - 11/12. I am NOT doing CT right now. Allergy hell is in full swing here and I'm riding the edge in the sinus dept, so the CT will have to wait. Need to also get off my arse and more serious about a post reset protocol. Not really exercising at all and I'm afraid to do it, thinking I'm going to need more carbs.

9. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Ladies, I think I may have found something amazing in this! I need to find some anthropological work on this ... but seriously, does it seem reasonable to imagine that a "normal" period would actually be two days of medium-heavy bleeding, and then shut off like a faucet (maybe with a patch here or there over the next day or two, but nothing that is even enough to leak, only caught when wiping, much like the way CM is caught)?

Could this be what we're *really* supposed to experience?

I already had the good fortune of spending my whole life without PMS cramps or hormone stuff or bloating (did have some killer mittelschmertz once or twice, though), and I really believe that's supposed to be the norm. I also had the good fortune to experience very extended lactational amenorrhea and I *know* that is supposed to be the norm.

So what if a woman's menstrual life is supposed to look like this: starts around 15, arrives without symptoms the day the full moon begins to shed (mine did!), & lasts two days ... then she only has these cycles about 30-50 times in her life (b/c of pregnancy and breastfeeding spacing babies about 3 years apart), until it stops without drama in her 40s. (I still haven't found good research showing whether the age of menopause has been affected by modern life.)

That ... instead of a week of pain & mood swings followed by a week of serious bleeding, repeated every 3-6 weeks (often totally unpredictable), from the time she's 11 till she's 50+ with only a few months off somewhere in the middle for pregnancy (no postpartum respite), and ending with a decade of even more irregular cycles transitioning into hot flashes, mood horrors, and much more.

What if ...?

How would that change our views, and especially those passed to our young daughters, on the blessings and supposed curses of being a woman?

If that really is the way we're made to be, I imagine I've reached it sooner than others simply b/c I am lucky enough to have a great reproductive system (before you get jealous, don't forget my thyroid, adrenals, and addiction centers!) ... maybe this is in store for all of us. (similar to how some have reached LS or weight goals or sleep bliss or energy goals faster than others, just individual differences) ?

Anyone have any anthropological data on traditional women's menstruation length & length/timing of perimenopause & menopause?

Would love Dr. Kruse's input on whether he's seen anything like this.

Two months in a row for me, since starting CT. Primal and/or cloth pads had already taken me from 7 mostly heavy days to 4-5 mixed intensity days.

I'm just amazed, y'all!

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I've got 6 oral digital thermometers that no longer work - I've purchased new batteries, replaced them - nothing... I just can't bring myself to buy another one, that will fail w/in the next 9mths. I've got 4 thermometers for the kids that don't work either...I finally broke down and bought the kids the exogen temporal artery thermometer using my FSA so we'd have a thermometer in the house that works! I know I should temp, but since I'm fixed, I've had the why bother attitude...maybe I'll pick up another one this weekend...and see. probably wouldn't hurt especially now, that I've moved from cytomel to Armour for my thyroid.

MamaGrok;14882 wrote: Ladies, I think I may have found something amazing in this! I need to find some anthropological work on this ... but seriously, does it seem reasonable to imagine that a "normal" period would actually be two days of medium-heavy bleeding, and then shut off like a faucet (maybe with a patch here or there over the next day or two, but nothing that is even enough to leak, only caught when wiping, much like the way CM is caught)?

Could this be what we're *really* supposed to experience?

I already had the good fortune of spending my whole life without PMS cramps or hormone stuff or bloating (did have some killer mittelschmertz once or twice, though), and I really believe that's supposed to be the norm. I also had the good fortune to experience very extended lactational amenorrhea and I *know* that is supposed to be the norm.

So what if a woman's menstrual life is supposed to look like this: starts around 15, arrives without symptoms the day the full moon begins to shed (mine did!), & lasts two days ... then she only has these cycles about 30-50 times in her life (b/c of pregnancy and breastfeeding spacing babies about 3 years apart), until it stops without drama in her 40s.
    (I still haven't found good research showing whether the age of menopause has been affected by modern life.)

That ... instead of a week of pain & mood swings followed by a week of serious bleeding, repeated every 3-6 weeks (often totally unpredictable), from the time she's 11 till she's 50+ with only a few months off somewhere in the middle for pregnancy (no postpartum respite), and ending with a decade of even more irregular cycles transitioning into hot flashes, mood horrors, and much more.

What if ...?

How would that change our views, and especially those passed to our young daughters, on the blessings and supposed curses of being a woman?

If that really is the way we're made to be, I imagine I've reached it sooner than others simply b/c I am lucky enough to have a great reproductive system (before you get jealous, don't forget my thyroid, adrenals, and addiction centers!) ... maybe this is in store for all of us. (similar to how some have reached LS or weight goals or sleep bliss or energy goals faster than others, just individual differences) ?

Anyone have any anthropological data on traditional women's menstruation length & length/timing of perimenopause & menopause?

Would love Dr. Kruse's input on whether he's seen anything like this.

Two months in a row for me, since starting CT. Primal and/or cloth pads had already taken me from 7 mostly heavy days to 4-5 mixed intensity days.

I'm just amazed, y'all!

Interesting - I have noticed that my TOTM has been shortening since I've been on the LR. Last month was 4days. this month I just started - and it started on what should have been CD 27.

March cycle was 28days, w/ 4 days of menses,

Feb cycle 30days w/4days of menses,

Jan cycle was 30days w/4days of menses,

Dec cycle was 32 days w/5days of menses,

Nov was 30day cycle w/6days of menses

Oct was 31 day cycle w/4days of menses

Sep was 34 day cycle w/5days menses

Aug was 38 day cycle w/ 8 days of menses

July was 20 day cycle w/6days of menses

June was my first cycle in 4yrs - w/2 days of menses

I hope by the time DD begins her cycle I'll have figured most of this out, and I can show/teach her everything she needs, to understand her body

11. ChristineKleiber

Good gravy - I think I've bought maybe 3 digital therms in 25 years of marriage - probably didn't even have them the first few years (lol!) Mine is a BD designed for doing BBT. Maybe order a new one of those with the glass one.

12. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Amazingly, I have found the same thing happening. Roughly 2+ months on CT, and my last two periods have arrived without me noticing any pre-period symptoms and have vanished entirely in 2 days (and on the second day there was no blood during the night!). Going paleo helped my cycles and stopped the PMS (but I still had period pain on the first day). CT has taken it the next step, it appears. Now, I'm 45 so I'll be interested to see what happens with menopause. I had the impression from other things on the site that we'd stay fertile longer this way, but maybe I got that wrong (I'm done having babies!). I must keep an eye on the lunar calendar, too.

13. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I just lined up my cycles since AF arrived post-partum in December, and they're all 1-4 days after the full moon. They've also begun full flow - I used to have two light days to start off, always, whereas now, I just mark 14 days after O day on my calendar and BAM! the next morning wake up bleeding! It's really crazy!

14. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

Does anyone have any experience with regaining a period after coming off the pill? I stopped taking mine Feb. 12 and am anxiously awaiting a return of my cycle. I know I shouldn't be worried yet, but it would be nice if my charts would start making sense. I'm jealous of all of you who have your rhythm so intimately figured out...

Patience is a virtue, I suppose.

15. ChristineKleiber

Yes patience is a virtue. And please dear God grant it to me now!

I have never taken hormones for more than 3 months to try and fix any of my issues, so I can't offer a personal n=1. But my understanding from what I read is that 3-6 mos is not uncommon. So try to relax and get ready to start lining up multiple months of charting and see some improvement. And do try not to make to many changes at once. If something needs to change, by all means do it. But too many changes at once is going to make it harder to see trends in your data.

I'd tell you to be patient, but I'm still lecturing myself.

16. L8F

L8F New Member

PaleoCowgirl: I re-looked at your chart, and I like what I see. A lot less rocky looking/less jagged temps that are coming closer to the cover line. I thin this is a good thing...

MammaG: Interesting stuff, I think especially interesting since your repro system has worked so well prior to this. My period usually lasted about 2 days of seriously very light flow, with a day or two on either side of spotting. But the cramps used to be killer on day one and two. Never ever had much flow, but on ultrasound I always had a good thickness lining. Now it has stretched out over a few more days, and close to no cramps. More bleeding, but nothing heavy. I do remember from doing acu for fertility, that she said that the period should indeed turn on and off like a faucet, and the different patterns mean different things according to Chinese medicine. Also, starts and stops during the bleeding also mean something else (no idea what, chinese medicine is too much for me to take on at this stage in my life!) SO I think ideal would have to have been a good on/off switch, as well as a couple days of moderate bleeding without too much disabling pain, or else I cannot image a hunter gatherer type lifestyle being able to tolerate much more than that and still get by...

WIll have to check the lunar calendar more carefully. Any good sites that you use for lunar stuff? I think lunar calendars are pretty and should get one to put up...

Shijin: I think that you could just get a crappy digi for ten bucks and get some use out of it. I had a purple one from CVS that I loved til I lost it in traveling a while back. I now have a pink one from another pharmacy chain that I don't love. I think it could help you to exactly map out your sx with phases, and get some added data with that.

CGK: Like the thoughts on temping above...we need to post screen shots to have a lovely chart gallery, esp as people get to adding/subtracting bhrt, and take a look and see what that does.

17. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I've just googled "full moon March 2012" or whatever when I wanted to look it up.

So much I've learned in the last five years has made much more sense out of pre-technology living. I've learned that we don't need soap or shampoo to avoid stinking, we don't need hard-to-prepare or hard-to-find foods or sweets or dietitians to enjoy taste & health from food, we don't need diapers (EC), we don't need TP (honestly, good primal poops come out easy in a squat and leave no trace), we don't need pads (maybe just a piece of cloth tucked in the loin strap for a couple days, lol), we don't need painkillers or doctors or dentists or surgery or most of modern medicine as long as we avoid lions & falling from trees ...

It sure has made camping a lot easier. :D

18. ChristineKleiber

So.... do I dare ask where things are in the chart world for you now?

19. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Thanks for that, Jennifer! Just FYI, it is not an option for Catholics. There *must* be wheat in the wafer for it to be able to be consecrated. Low-gluten hosts, receiving only from the chalice (I do this), or spiritual communions are the only options of which I'm aware.

I don't have any spiritual issues at all with the option I'm using; it's only a practical issue when I'm at a Mass where the cup is not available.