1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

WINTER SURVIVAL GUIDE

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Christine_L, Sep 3, 2019.

1. drezy

drezy Gold

I agree, just don't tell my wife. I enjoy watching her throw her wet shirt into the wash every time.

2. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

If you check around you may find an old bath tub (though you may get some raised eyebrows about a tub in your backyard-- but a great conversation-starter!) someone wants to get rid of. Probably yours just for the hauling (and put hubby to work).

Christine_L and MITpowered26 like this.
  3. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

I started by laying in kiddie pools because we had them. Well really I began by CTing inside in my bathtub because it was wintertime in NC. Then the kiddie pools. They're so cheap! I loved it actually. I'd put ice packs on my abs. Then I got a used horse trough off Craigsist and I love it so much! Now we're in Florida so I have just been going in the pool all the time. I'll pull out the trough at some point though for deeper CT. However you can do it, make it happen now and tune it as you go. Find a way! :)

Christine_L likes this.
  4. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

What a great idea! I'm fine with the neighbors gossiping, which they'll likely do if they see me out in that tub with snow on the ground.

Thanks for the tips. I really to want a deep and long soaker so I can stretch out, but as you say, start now and tune as you do. That's why I bought the Cool Fat Burner vest and torso wrap. But I can't get cold enough in those. Could be my environment is still too warm, and I'll get the best CT next month when I drive to the ocean (water temps in the 50s).

Christine_L and LieselK like this.
  5. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

Oh yes, everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I feel good and am taking care of me! The circumstances will never be perfect, but if you start with what you have and where you're at it literally buys you time to evolve. I never thought my family would live in Florida, but here we are! Whatever you do for you will be worth it.

6. malc0088

malc0088 4th dimension

I decided to go with a sperti rather than going to the tanning booth. 3 reasons - I can use dminder to track my estimated Vitamin D snag from the sperti, I can pair red/ir light with it, and I snuck it into my office at work so i can use it during mid day. As another little hack for the winter, we recently had half a tree fall on our room (no damage thankfully) but i had the tree trimmer cut it up into firewood. I love to CT outside in the winter with my firepit roaring. This is when it dawned on me as I was stacking the firewood that I was harvesting light from the tree via combustion....just like what our mito's do! I can thank my sunrise AM sunlight for that epiphany. I am and I'd encourage anyone else supplementing light this winter to review the biphasic dose response to LLT article. While my skin can handle the light, I've found myself on the bad side of the dose response curve a couple times. Essentially, it feels like I've put too much charge into my human battery and it can't handle it ( ie excess ros, nfkb, excessive NO, etc). So, I'm curious if anyone has any insights, I measure my HRV daily. When i was sending too much current via light into my human battery and I felt the negative effects, my sympathetic nervous system was jacked way up (along with even my resting heart rate). What is the relationship or interaction between UV light and the Autonomic Nervous system? I took a day off and it normalized. I've noticed this even with sun exposure, particularly during strong UV hours of the day. It shoots my sympathetic nervous system through the roof. I take a day or 2 off, everything normalizes. Is it simply that my human battery can't handle the charge?

Cuffy and MITpowered26 like this.
  7. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

WOWZA. Just caught up on this amazing thread in full! Thankyou @Christine_L for the amazing start, and everyone that has given their input!

question for the newb. I'm likely moving to an off grid acreage and wonder how to do wet ct in the winter?
    idea: find an old freezer someone wants to get rid of..leave it unplugge and outside... but my question is what if its subzero? do i warm up the water a bit to reach optimal temp with a propane heater or something? i'm clueless!

Pablo and Christine_L like this.
  8. drezy

drezy Gold

Where roughly would you be? I'll look up temperature ranges and see if I can do a little math on that.

MITpowered26 likes this.
  9. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

T5Y6B5, Canada

10. drezy

drezy Gold

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    MITpowered26 likes this.
  11. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

for winter season? @drezy

12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Edmonton AB T5Y 6B5
    Canada

53.70488" N, 113.369096" W
    ---------------------------------------------
    Pigs lard if whale's lard is not available.

13. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

I don't get what I"m looking at with @drezy temperature flux

14. drezy

drezy Gold

I edited the image/chart in my post to show the months. I'm just seeing if you personally confirm the temperature ranges for the winter months.

MITpowered26 likes this.
  15. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

shit. i'm slow.. ummmm hmmm pretty accurate? i guess winters have been less extreme lately./

oh edited! i guess i'm not that slow and imagining things.

although with WINDCHILL, it will hit -30 on some days. .. so i think its a bit inaccurate.

16. drezy

drezy Gold

OK I'll throw this one on my homework stack for the weekend and get back to you.

MITpowered26 likes this.
  17. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

haha thanks :)

18. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

Perhaps just fill it with lukewarm tap water with a hose (but that hose can't stay outside or it will freeze too) in subzero temps. Freezer is well-insulated so it would take a while to freeze water, especially with a warm body in it. If icy winds threaten you might hold them at bay with a tarp.

Just don't snooze during CT session or you will end up a popsicle. What a way to go-- as an Ice Man! When you thaw out in spring people will wonder at how well preserved you are.

19. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

LOL

20. drezy

drezy Gold

Old school rough calculation and in my old chicken scratch hand.

Assumptions:
    A chest freezer has 3 squared meters of surface area exposed
    14 C is your desired temp
    -8ºC is a typical ambient 24h average daily temp
    The R factor of the chest freezer would be 8 (I see claims of 7 -12 online)

homework.jpg

0.87 degrees would be lost in a sealed cooler over 24 h.

By the same sets of equations a near boiling 2 litres of water add back 711kJ (the amount you lose in 24 hours @ -8ºC)

The numbers scale linearly. So if instead you get an average -12 (like the below chart seems to show) you can just multiply by a (-12/-8) factor. That gives you a loss of 1.3ºC and 3 boiling litres to reset the temperature.

edmonton-average-temperatures-chart.gif

From: http://www.edmonton.climatemps.com/temperatures.php

Phosphene and MITpowered26 like this.