1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

WINTER SURVIVAL GUIDE

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Christine_L, Sep 3, 2019.

1. The unofficial end of summer means only 1 thing to me. No, not that I will be drinking PSL.:rofl::coffee: But in the 40th latitude the next 2 months colder temperatures and less UV light means, I will start prepping for fall and finally winter.

To me, that means to prep:
    -Charge my batteries now - keep on getting UV sun
    -Less carbs
    -Apparel in the winter - tan through shirts and bathing suits ready
    -Colder nights/mornings mean cold adaption :thumbsup:
    -More CT
    -Planning a greenhouse for outside time to avoid wind - NEW

In winter:
    -Always watch every sunrise - expose your skin (wear a hat/gloves/socks as needed)
    -Ground using wool socks, leather shoes or earthrunners
    -Always get daytime sun with exposed skin (exercising outside helps - love to hike)
    -Blue blockers carry them with you all the time especially when it gets dark before 6pm
    -Night time lighting choices
    -Eat your damn seafood!
    -Even MORE CT
    -Fireplaces - NEW
    -Enjoy!

What is your winter survival guide? What are your tips for us Northerners?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Pablo, MITpowered26, Hilde and 2 others like this.
  2. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

It would be nice to have a greenhose tent I could go pop up at the park or beach to block the wind but allow IR and UVA through. I wonder if there is somthing already pre made or easily convertable. Any ideas @drezy ?

drezy and Christine_L like this.
  3. Saichi

Saichi New Member

If not your place but park/beach why not just CT the whole time as well? I'm thinking 90 minutes in 30 to 40 degree sunny air would be similar to 45 minutes in 50 degree water? This will be my first winter as a mito.

4. Sun Disciple

I will be in the water as well. But when the lake freezes and I chainsaw my way through it I only do about 10 minutes.

Christine_L likes this.
  5. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

The Germans invented the famous Strandkorb for comfort on those North Sea beaches, which could be quite chilly depending on season. That of course would not stop nature-loving Germans.

Basic concept is a wrap-around shell to shield occupent from winds, yet allowing full sun exposure on one side. You can buy them online. Most look rather heavy and luxurious but you might be able to find a stripped-down lightweight version (or make your own) to tote to your favorite sunbathing spot.

upload_2019-9-4_10-28-14.png

6. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

Well, for this coming winter denizens of northern hemisphere might get more than they bargained for with new-fangled, more aggressive winters 2019-20 and in future winters = expect them colder and snowier than we are used to. Old Farmer's Almanac seems on board with this prognostication for much of US this winter.

So, plenty of opportunities for cold thermogenesis therapy indeed!

But, for those who don't want to feel chilled and miserable for much of Dec-Mar, make sure your house is reasonably tight (not too tight or you encourage indoor mold) and check if you need to bump up R-values in wall and attic insulation. A good woodstove will keep the home hearth burning warmly on those especially bitter, dark winter nights.

Here's to a cup of hot tea while snuggled under a blanket.

MITpowered26 and Christine_L like this.
  7. I remember on an old Q&A someone in Vermont built a greenhouse with that lets UV light pass through the plastic. They placed it over their CT tub! @Jack Kruse is the member on the forum?

drezy likes this.
  8. I will also be doing that as well.

Add to the list - Fireplaces and hot tea :)

ElectricUniverse likes this.
  9. kris90

kris90 New Member

Up in Canada at the 45th latitude. I actually do MORE CT in the Fall than in Winter. It helps offset any potential fatgain while I'm still eating some carbs that are in season (i.e. apple picking season and pumpkin season). Works like a charm, and in Winter I find I don't need to do as much CT with water, because I can simply go outside and it gets as low as -30 C on some days. Driving with windows down, and sunbathing on my sheltered porch that blocks most wind is my choice of CT for Winter, and sometimes rolling in the snow. But Fall is typically when I do deep CT when my pool is still open. It's part of my training to jumpstart the ancient pathway to thrive in wintertime.

I use a UVA/UVB tanning bed throughout winter as well. Keeps my Vitamin D levels from dropping so I don't have to supplement. The only other thing that changes is I'm in ketosis and increase my already high seafood intake from 3-5 days per week to 5-7 days per week.

10. Saichi

Saichi New Member

How many minutes per day do you use?

11. Sun Disciple

In my opinion nothing beats getting in the water Ive never got even close to the same benefits from sub zero air temp.

drezy likes this.
  12. drezy

drezy Gold

I tried this for my wife in winter. It did not hold up very well.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOO83UK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think there is a niche for a general purpose heat/light tent that will hold up well.

If one of us tries out a portable heat-bent PVC tent + plastic wrap design that stands up to the wind and sells a pdf on how to make it, I think that would be forward movement. All products I see now kinda blow. I'd sign an NDA* just to add advice in order to get that moving.

That goes the same for anyone with any idea. I'll sign off rights just to be able to consult.

I realized that even if I optimize health, I still die someday. I know what you're thinking! There will be future generation that will not be able to check forum.jackkruse.com in order to follow the antics of drezy???? It's true though.

I sure wouldn't mind lassoing our minds together in order to begin a marketplace.
    I sure wouldn't mind agreeing that we provide any of these products to the "Farm" at cost in order to acknowledge our teacher.

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/greenhouse-ct-adaptation.22611/

Last seen Jun 2019

* NDA - non disclosure agreement. I'm happy to give advice that would benefit the development of a product that I would have zero shares of and legally be unable to replicate.

13. kris90

kris90 New Member

I'll go to a tanning salon and do about 10 minutes in a turbo bed once or twice a week. I sometimes use a UVA sperta as well especially in December, and will do 5-10 mins every few days.

A little bit goes a long way!

14. kris90

kris90 New Member

For sure I'll have to give that a try this year.

15. malc0088

malc0088 4th dimension

I second this technique. This year we are adding 3 trips to mexico. I like to pre-condition my skin using IR-A and cold before i go use 10 minutes of UV-A/B bed. Then I'll do some CT after with IR-A lamp.

16. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Have you guys measured how much UVA/B you're getting from the tanning beds?

Thinking about an adventure now to a local salon to measure myself!

MITpowered26 likes this.

17. 100% behind this. Lets brainstorm, people!

18. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Instead of making a new product why not just buy a tempered glass greenhouse if you don't want to do simultaneous air CT?