1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Wine: Polyphenols

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Jack Kruse, May 6, 2019.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

While cultivar contributes meaningfully to the level of anthocyanins and PA in wines, the influence of other viticulture practices is not insignificant. We hypothesize that wines produced from grapes cultivated between steady daily temperatures at 15–25°C with moderate sun exposure from flowering to harvest, lower vine-water status, resulting either from lower precipitation, and irrigation practices or more permeable soil types, will produce a wine with a higher concentration of anthocyanins and PA. The limitation of fertilizers in a soil rich with mineral deposits can also be considered in order to activate abiotic stress response. Furthermore, winemaker manipulation including maceration of red wines for 3 to 4 weeks appears to result in the greatest optimization of overall healthy phenols. Fining practices should be avoided or limited in use given their effect of decreasing phenolic compounds. Aging wine in oak may enhance tannin content along with lignan, lignin and other potentially healthy polyphenol content, however, wines aged excessively may experience a breakdown of anthocyanins. Wines consumed that follow these criteria are hypothesized to have a different, beneficial effect upon health.

All studies that have assessed the associations between wine consumption and health have viewed wine as a single entity. The above information provides significant evidence that wine consumption should not be viewed as a binary entity, and the multitude of growing and production conditions, including temperature, water availability, soil type, maceration, and aging can create a remarkably dissimilar final product. Based on the available studies, two types of wine with vastly different chemical and macronutrient profiles can be produced based on the type of grape, growing conditions, and production methods, and differing health results are to be expected after the consumption of these wines. Future studies should incorporate these differences.
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2019.00044/full

2. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

I'd be curious to hear Dr Kruse's take on surprising conclusions of extensive research on alcohol's effect on body (spoiler conclusion: alcohol is indeed unsafe in any amount). Aren't there safer ways of ingesting valuable polyphenols without having to take in alcohol as a byproduct?

My apologies to wine lovers everywhere-- but facts are facts.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2011/mar/07/safe-level-alcohol-consumption

Danco3636 likes this.
  3. Saichi

Saichi New Member

I sometimes cook with wine but make sure all the alcohol's burned off. Does that preserve the health benefits?

4. http://frenchscout.com/types-of-red-wines#malbec

http://frenchscout.com/polyphenols

France — Where to start? The French, of course, are the perennial masters of wine, and prolonged contact with skins and seeds is usually taken for granted in many varieties of wine. French wines are better designated by region, rather than by variety of grape. Each wine region can vary widely in flavonoid content:

• Bordeaux red wines rate moderately;

• Burgundy red wines low to moderate;

• Languedoc-Roussillon red wines moderate to high (and many great bargains);

• Rhone red wines (Côtes du Rhône) moderate to high.

• Malbec and tannat seem to be the varieties with the most OPC.

5. Solidsilverteeth

Solidsilverteeth New Member

Isn’t it better to eat the grapes as long as they haven’t got pesticides sprayed on them?

Most wine even the expensive ones are full of pesticides.

Even the so called organic grapes just have a differ list of chemicals sprayed on them. Better to grow yourself and I spray my grapes with my own urine.

ElectricUniverse likes this.
  6. ElectricUniverse

Exactly. If you have a garden plot and your soil/climate is ideal for grape cultivation why not grow your own? (Grapes have too much sugar for my taste but that is always a personal issue).

Love your uses of urine. When I have a garden I will spray the soil liberally with my urine. It is a great fertilier (nitrogen) and I like the idea of adding my personal touch to garden crops.

Solidsilverteeth likes this.
  7. drezy

drezy Gold

Eat zero fruit for 9-ish months, do 3 x 15 min 50F cold tub sessions during late summer or fall, as your warming back up in the sun pick a few grapes off your own vine and eat them.

I'm also not into sweets, but something about that experience makes total palate sense to me.

8. Sandra Barton

Sandra Barton New Member

What do you think about this wine?
    http://www.freywine.com/?
    method=pages.showPage&PageID=4071F2C5-C837-0544-9BD7-9C4979577831&originalMarketingURL=Our-Winemaking-Philosophy/Biodynamic-Wines

9. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

If Dr Kruse does not answer you,have a look at what he says about water quality in CA and why he drinks wine from the high Andes.

10. Sandra Barton

Sandra Barton New Member

Understood. I do enjoy Malbec as well. I would be interested into better understanding their methods.

Christine_L likes this.
  11. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

If you read Dr. Kruse sold all his California wine,he mentions that the water in caliifornia is not good. The wine from the Andes is good because it uses melt water and comes from 5000ft plus alltitude( more UV light=more Resveratrol etc). California no matter what production method they use cannot replicate that

Christine_L, drezy and Sandra Barton like this.
  12. I used the drink the CA organic wines but now only look at any Argentine/Chiliean Malbec or Cab and read the labels. Key word is high altitude or Mendoza. If they say high altitude I usually buy. Its not even a huge price difference.

13. Life is short - drink the wine!:zzz: :rofl:

Nicer answer - Maybe, I think the link above talks about the fermentation process also bringing out the health benefits.

14. Solidsilverteeth

Ignorance is bliss with many things, but not when it come to pesticide levels in wine.

Seriously look at the studies, the amount of pesticides in wine here days is dangerous.

Go back to .bible times and wine was good for you, it not these days in the pesticides.

15. Sandra Barton

Sandra Barton New Member

Yes agreed. Please read the link. it is organic biodynamic process.

16. Solidsilverteeth

IT amazes me how many people spend a fortune on organic food and then go nd drink wine and coffee

There is more pesticides in wine and coffe than conventional non organic foods

17. When did I say ignorance is bliss? Worrying about pesticides is not going to help. Are you drinking gallons of pesticide ridden wine? No. There are pesticides on even organic farms or growing your own vegetables or fruit because of water runoff, its well known. This goes to say the same for organic wines. Therefore, purchasing something from a higher altitude from Argentina/Chile is a better option. You cant control everything.

I'm no farmer but doubt your grapes would grow if you put your urine on them....

caroline and Solidsilverteeth like this.
  18. Well they dont know and/or dont care.

Coffee in a 5G world causes more dehydration. Drink lifeless water and take CBD and thats pretty much non-mito person.

19. ElectricUniverse

I don't want to opine on the eternal alcohol lover vs teetotaler debate-- suum cuique. I personally try to even avoid alcohol tinctures, although I think perhaps an itsy bitsy, tiny bit of alcohol in a tincture dose might be hormetic in some way and thus have some epigenetic benefits. But who knows. It's all an n=1 world mainly.

That's so true about virtually everything in our environment being laden with toxicants like pesticides. Good grief, even mother's milk can be a cesspool of toxic chemicals these days.

That's why it is so very important to start a permanent daily detox regime and hope you stay ahead of the barrage of toxins we are exposed to 24/7-- no matter where we are.

Christine_L and Solidsilverteeth like this.
  20. Solidsilverteeth

You are wrong about urine, its the best thing ever for my plants.

10% urine 90% rainwater works best, it's the only thing I spry on my fruit and nut trees.

ElectricUniverse likes this.