1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Window transmission

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by brookway17, Feb 10, 2019 at 3:35 PM.

1. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

In a video you had posted on your Facebook page you were talking about the transmission of sunlight through I believe a window in your new clinic. You said that you had measured adsorption in the red band. I spent a lot of time dealing with glass back in the late 70s when I was trying to encapsulate photovoltaic cells. I remember that the glass manufacturers went to great lengths to ensure a fairly flat transmission curve in the visible portion of the solar spectrum.
    I was wondering if the window that you had measured had a low E Coating to enhance Thermal performance. These coating’s usually reflect radiation in the infrared range. As is usual for optical coatings there is some bleed into adjacent wavelengths, in this case the red. It is ironic that yet again another energy conserving technology results in a red light hazard.

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

No they did not according to the scope. Spectroscopes show you just how effective manufacturing of glass really is.

3. Jamie Ward

Jamie Ward Gold

Personally, I think the tied has turned on shielding EMR vs allowing unfiltered natural light through in the building... A compromise would be to have unfiltered glass that transmits as much light as possible (including EMR) and then having a shielding material in your curtains so at night you can block out the EMR at least when you sleep.