1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Windchill vs. cold water - can it be effective and safe?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Butters, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

I ride by roadbike to work. In the summer months this can be a heat issue (I experienced that at 37°C). Now its autumn and it already has got really cold like 2-3°C on some mornings here. Because I create much heat while driving I couldnt stand long bike bibs and long arm shirt so Ive done it mostly short-short. I recently switched to a compression shirt for the low temperature and found it very pleasing. I noticed after 25 - 30min (which is my time to work) I have quite red legs and also red chest/stomachs with a little numbness, so its like doing CT with water.
    Now is the question how effective CT this way can be if we compare it to water, when we have a strong windchill factor. And can it be even more dangerous than using water?
    Because riding a bike with a certain speed is like having a wind with the same speed against me, more heat is taking away and the conduction must be much greater than in air without movement.
    [​IMG]

I seems windchill lowers the temperature not so much, but how it effects the conduction? Basically water is 24 times more effective than moveless air. But was if air moves rapidly or something is moving through air? I ride 25-30 km/h with my roadbike. My red skin is telling me something is going on but quantifying it would be interesting.

2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

3. Butters

Butters New Member

What does it mean?

JanSz likes this.
  4. I wonder if you need beware of frostbite. While the air might not remove heat from the body core as fast as a liquid, the actual temp at the upper epidermis and in the extremities maybe pretty extreme. Last week it was 75F and I was riding 50mph shirtless, now it is around freezing and I wear mittens, tuque and parka and am keeping it under 20mph. I am not generating heat like you as I'm on a motorcycle. Ride safely!

JanSz and caroline like this.
  5. Butters

Butters New Member

For now we're talking only until ground freezes. So far it should be ok for that time. Eventually I will switch to one layer long. When ground freezes it's to dangerous for me because I can't use spikes.
    But I would like to know how the effectiveness changes with air flow. I already noticed hand blood flow change. Starting without gloves it gets warm in the middle of the ride with blood flowing more into the hands.

6. Butters

Butters New Member

I have to say since I was riding bike outside, mainly to work, I havent had a big cold for months. So its the 5th months now and I havent been a little sick over the whole time. It was the summer months, with sunshine etc. yes, but I think this is a big plus. I have 1 hour almost every workday that I spend outside more (despite clothes and glasses, because I have to see :) ) but thats is 1 hours exposed to the elements with light endurance and sometimes intervall training. And I dont have any EMFs like inside of a car.
    So I can say: that is a simple biohack for me this year and I plan to do this everytime when its possible. When I dont do it, I miss it.
    And because we have snow on the streets and frozen streets max. 10-20 days per year, I can do this pracitcally year around.