1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Wim in the heat! This ought to answer our questions...

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by PaleoMom, Mar 30, 2012.

1. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Ditto for me.

2. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Thanks Akman.

3. AKMan

AKMan New Member

4. SimonM

SimonM New Member

Yeah, thanks AKMan. He does train. And he didn't climb to 26.000 feet on Everest wearing shorts (as Jack said in his talk), either - he got to Base Camp, which is 18.000 feet. 26,000 feet is well into the "death zone" - summit is 29,000 feet. Moderately fit tourist backpackers make it to Base Camp, no probs. Wim Hof IS amazing, and he prepares very thoroughly for what he does, but he has got nowhere near climbing Everest, in shorts or otherwise.

Jack does have a tendency to exaggerate for effect. Like Michael Phelps training 12 hours a day in 50 degree water, which he also claimed in the talk today.

5. LisaAPB

LisaAPB New Member

I was reading about some Russian doctor that did a lot of amazing things with cold and breathe control. My impression was slow and shallow rather than large and deep. Also, that doctor taped his patients mouths to train them to breathe slowly through the nasal passages, mouth breathing was a no-no.

6. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

He never says anything about running hours a day though, like most people training for marathons do. That is what I meant by not training. He is super active and what not but doesn't follow any sort of traditional training routine like others that do these events.

7. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

He reached 24,280ft on everest. http://www.wimhofmethode.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Life-December-11-2009.pdf In pictures I saw that he did have boots, gloves and a hat.

8. JC2K

JC2K New Member

It goes a lot faster if you just skim or ignore the Rosales parts. :)

9. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I know what you are saying. I'm a huge fan of Wim Hof, but to think that a sedentary, overweight, SAD person could soak in an ice tub a few times and then run a full marathon on snow barefoot is not the message that should come out of all this.

I've known several 'regular' people who ran marathons, including the Pike's Peak marathon in Colorado Springs. They ran progressively longer distances for several weeks/months, but didn't run 26 miles until the day of the race. One guy I know never ran more than 5 miles before running 26. He didn't set any records, but finished it. The guys that win marathons are a different story, but as we have learned they will probably die young.

10. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

No, my thought is that a "normal" (biologically, not culturally) male, meaning good physical condition, regularly active, used to going barefoot, used to cold, would be able to up and do it without the usual marathon training of running dozens of miles per week for months to make yourself able to stand it.

Thanks for the amazing story about Phidippides!

11. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I just walked barefoot 1/4 mile down my frozen driveway with 1" of fresh snow. That was tough! Not enjoyable at all! But I can see if I did it several times a week it would toughen up your feet, but the thought of hours and hours for 26 miles...trained or not, anyone who could do that is definitely super-human!

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The Ancient Pathway at work

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Wim lives on.......and Phidippees dies.......and what do modern humans praise? marathons? And think what Wim is doing is madness.........does anyone see the irony here.......of how a neolithic thought can subjugate a paleolithic gene?

14. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Just saw a sad post - http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-missingrunner Caballo Blanco (from Born to Run) is dead. I wonder if it's another marathoner (ultra-marathoner in this instance) killed by his "passion."

They really pump vegetarianism in that book, and I have to think that while the Tarahumara clearly know how to run a lot and thrive, vegetarianism plus ultrarunning is a recipe for early death. As a matter of fact, the T's are not vegetarians, and the author knew this (he notes bone broth & leather sandals ... where does he think they got those?), but pushes their beans instead.

15. SimonM

SimonM New Member

As Akman said: "Prior to his marathons, he ran barefoot around his lake in increasingly longer distances until he had run the equivalent of his goal." That's training.

People training for marathons don't run hours a day; the most popular training program out there at the moment - check any issue of Runner's World - is a run 3 days a week schedule, and only one of those is a long run. ANYBODY can "run" a marathon - it does not require any special physical capabilities - it is all a question of speed. The elites cover 26.2 miles in under 2 hours 15 minutes. That requires severe, dedicated, telomere-shortening training.

The "average" person, minimally trained, takes 4.5 to 5.5 hours. If you "run" a marathon in 5.5 hours you are basically jogging. It is not physically hard, but mentally insanely boring :)

Of course jogging at 12.5 minutes to cover 26.2 miles at the Arctic Circle like Wim did is another matter!

16. That was an awesome book. We totally went barefoot after that as much as possible, and tried to keep shoes off the kiddo. Of course, I also was motivated to run my 230 lbd fat ass for many many miles a week and train for a 10k. I did it. Telomeres shortened no doubt. My 45 year old husband ran a marathon and thought about an ultra, I finally beat that out of him ;)

Did you catch the "legs in a cold stream" thing. That struck me for some reason. I think he probably had a passion, and ultimately who's to judge total quality of life if you are so rewarded by what you do you want to keep doing it? I'm sure some, may look at the Cold-Movement (tm) as a waste of good life as we all spend hours sitting in cold water, eating keto half the year, in the dark at sunset and know in their hearts that's not how they want to live their lives. Perhaps the rewards to an ultra runner are similar to their mental states as cold is to ours?

Each year I get older, I become less and less judgmental (unless I've walked in their shoes - then I'm a raging bitch) and Jack's philosophy of do it for yourself and teach by example really strikes a chord for me on these things.

I hope I get a nickname one day that cool!

17. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

Not anyone. I have never been able to run or jog an entire mile in my life. It is actually a goal of mine for the year.

18. SimonM

SimonM New Member

Yes, anyone :) Start with that mile and then you will surprise yourself.

19. SimonM

SimonM New Member

Thanks for the correction, PaleoMom. You're right. Wow, it takes a lot of checking! There's nothing about this on his blog, nor on any videos I can find. But yeah, 24,280-feet or so, Camp Three - which is traditionally the final pushing-off point for a summit bid, and about the last place you can go without supplemental oxygen unless you are supremely well-adapted. He went up from and back to Base Camp. I was reacting to Jack's statement of 26,000 feet - which IS in the Death Zone.

20. SimonM

SimonM New Member

I'm speaking as a Total Wimp when it comes to wet and cold (although it IS improving)...but I'm really not sure about the super-human bit :) Wim insists that ANYONE can do what he does - and appears to have the students to prove it. Isn't that what Jack is saying, too? These are normal human capabilities waiting for us to unlock them.

Hah! Just noticed that Wim is Wimp without the pee. MUST be a clue there, hahahahahahahahahaha.