1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Wim in the heat! This ought to answer our questions...

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by PaleoMom, Mar 30, 2012.

1. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

copied from: http://www.innerfire.nl/wim-hof-blog

2. Lexi

Lexi New Member

i wonder about the length of his telomeres.... are we really designed to run marathons?

3. MonteD

MonteD New Member

One thing that I noticed after becoming thoroughly cold adapted was a rather drastic change in my perception of hot and cold. Before, when I was severely leptin resistant I always wanted it cold. All the way to the point of wearing shorts and a t-shirt to school while it was snowing out. After cold adaptation I became very indifferent. Heat no longer bothered me at all. I kinda even liked it...

4. Croak

Croak New Member

Didn't seem to work out well for Pheidippides.

5. agatha

agatha New Member

Hooray - I have been quite worried about how I'll cope in summer.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Wim is interested in performance and his abilities......and training people to cold adapt. He is not exploring the health angle at all because he does not eat the perfect cold adapted diet. His abilities might even be greater if he did.

7. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

He isn't coming at it in the same way that you are, but he is very much interested in the health angle, that is his true mission actually. He allows many scientists to do testing on him to help bring attention to his method and it's health benefits. He teaches people in hopes of helping as many people as possible to strengthen their immune system, cardiovascular system and general ability to be strong, healthy and free of disease.

8. JC2K

JC2K New Member

In re. the marathon drinking, there's a book by Tim Noakes called Challenging Beliefs. In it, he talks about how before the 60's, marathon runners either never drank, or only drank a few times. No heat problems. After the 60's, runners were encouraged to drink till they sloshed so they didn't become "dehydrated", suddenly heat strokes, people dieing, etc. All because of drinking too much water during the race.

9. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Love it, crazy man, lol.

Anyone know how hot that desert was?

I think the idea is that we aren't meant to run a bunch on a regular basis. Even the persistence hunters in Africa only do that once in a while. Far cry from running many miles a day, training for a marathon, and repeating that over and over again.

Me, I can't wait to get my energy back, start SimpleFit, and then after a few months of doing just squats, push-ups, pullups, walks, and occasional sprints, bust out a 10K with no training.

Then I'm going to do a triathlon with no training and laugh at the dropped jaws.

10. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I once read a book (sorry I don't remember the name) about a woman that went on a walkabout with the aborigines. They really thought it was funny and silly how the white people need to drink so much water all the time.

11. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

Wim doesn't train for his events either, just does it. Like you said, I'm also really looking forward to some physical awesomeness it the future, courtesy of CT!

12. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Oh my gosh, I am totally not making this up - I was reading a travel blog before our Puerto Rico trip, and they mentioned one site where you had to walk ... not making this up ... 1/4 mi in the sun (never gets above about 86 degrees there), so "you definitely need to remember your hat, sunscreen, and water).

BANG HEAD OWWWW!

13. SimonM

SimonM New Member

Thanks for that, PaleoMom... v.important info...

I'm a masters runner and have been wondering how I am going to cope with the heat after doing CT. Given that something like 75 per cent of muscle activity goes in heat rather than propulsion, this is pretty crucial for competition. One theory (but there are MANY) why the Kenyans, Ethiopians etc are so successful at long distance events is that their engines seem to run cooler. Now, if The Iceman can run across the desert, I'm good :cool:

@ Croak and Lexi

14. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I just read 'Becoming the Iceman' by Wim Hof and Justin Rosales. Wim does train. You guys should read this book. I guarantee Jack read it, a lot of what he says I recognize in the book. I bet I also know what Factor X is, too!

15. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Akman, will you share what you think the Factor X is?

16. AKMan

AKMan New Member

In the book, "Becoming the Iceman", Wim Hof discusses at length the importance of breathing. He has specific breathing exercises he does and explains how.

17. AmyK

AmyK New Member

Good to know it is a worthwhile read. Thanks, AKMan! I'll check it out.

18. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

I did read this, and that is what made me say he doesn't train for the marathons or climbs. He is very active though. Did you mean he trains for the cold? He does do lots of that kind of training....

19. AKMan

AKMan New Member

In all his mountain climbing records, he spent several days acclimating at different altitudes, same as all mountain climbing teams do. Prior to his marathons, he ran barefoot around his lake in increasingly longer distances until he had run the equivalent of his goal. Same for swimming under ice, he trained a lot for that. To me, saying someone ran a marathon barefoot on the snow w/o training would mean taking a guy off the street who has never run barefoot, let alone in the snow and watching him run a marathon in the snow barefoot.

Page 104: discussing his polar marathon, "months before the run, I had prepared myself by sitting in a horse stance, with my knees bent to practice getting rid of acid build up."

Not to take away from Wim, he's a remarkable man, but he's very fit and active, cycling, swimming, rappelling, canyoneering, etc... He's hardly as sometimes portrayed as the average man who ran a barefoot marathon in the snow without training.

20. AKMan

AKMan New Member

It is kind of strange the way it's written, but a good read. Takes about 6 hours to get through (Tampa to Seattle flight)...