1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Willing to trade my labour for some in person mentoring and guidance (sort of like WWOOFing)

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Arete, Feb 8, 2018.

1. drezy

drezy Gold

There is an interesting and constructive purpose behind duolingo just in case you didn't know you were helping civilization by using it:

Starting at 12:13 https://www.ted.com/talks/luis_von_...ad&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare :

2. @drezy little bit like like mining for bitcoin then... You are essentially coding or de-coding but for the purposes of language translation... Very interesting

3. drezy

drezy Gold

Yeah, presumably once you proceed far enough along you're given material that will be cross checked with other translations and slapped up on the internet.

It's got an entanglement ring to it. What you translate may end up useful to a Spanish kid looking something up on wikipedia or someone looking for a classic novel translated to their tongue.

Sean Waters likes this.
  4. I like that - it is also really good app itself, it is repetitive style learning... You keep selecting the right words for sentences and it begins to stick. It is really working, and I don't mind spending an hour on it. Whenever i have tried to learn before, books or whatever, I get tired of it easily...

Just an example of my low dopamine brain - I need a lit up little app that makes noises and has colourful animals telling me how good I am LOL

5. drezy

drezy Gold

LOL any means necessary.

Tangent warning:

No way to know for sure, but along with the LWM around here I like to think that avoiding that kind of overwhelming praise personally and automated helped my son developed the strong focus he's demonstrating now. I lifted the idea from the notes of one of Einstein's buddies Jean Piaget. In fact there were 2 great ideas I lifted from his (or his wife's) notes of family life with a child developmental psychologist father:

1.)When asked by his own son why the sky was blue, Piaget replied "Why do you think it's blue?"His boy said "It's painted that way."
    Piaget asked "What is the paint sticking to?"
    And on and on. Instead of dumping information on the kid he asked his kid to develop and hone theories.

2.)When his children accomplished something, instead of rushing in as an adult and heaping on loud (though well intentioned) adult praise. he let his children evaluate for themselves how to feel about it. The way I lifted this is that I take note of what my boy accomplishes, let him have his own moment, and later before bedtime I let him know that I saw what he accomplished and ask how he felt about accomplishing it. Usually he responds that he felt really good and after that I'll let him know that I also felt that way too. I think it helped him not rely on immediate external praise/rewards.

If you ever have a little one yourself or even just end up working with young people I think it's a worthwhile exercise to try.

seanb4, karenr and Sean Waters like this.
  6. You are wise beyond your years mate @drezy I appreciate your insight a lot, I often think of how I will raise my kids, and I have a broad idea but things like really help. Instead of just... I will tell them about LWM and make them learn etc. It is far better to do what you have just done, and then the kid won't feel forced into it or maybe patronised by your praise... let them explore it themselves

7. drezy

drezy Gold

No I just steal from the best and drive it like I stole it.

If you find yourself with interest, time, or dealing with young people someday hit me with a PM or something. I'd gladly introduce you to the works of Piaget, Erikson, and Vygotsky that all significantly impacted how I raised my son and enhanced my empathy for others.

We silly humans can overthink things. We have a blessing and curse in self-reflection and that genie doesn't go back in the bottle unless maybe wallowing in a low dopamine state maybe gets you close and away from the "horror" of true self-reflection.

I have a mantra to try to improve myself. If I want the world to be better in some way I have to be significantly better in that way myself. That's all I really have any ounce of control over.

Arete, Sean Waters and karenr like this.
  8. karenr

karenr Silver

So important. My childhood of loads of external praise did nothing for my self-esteem. Just gave me more to have to live up to.