1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Wiggle room, or All-or-Nothing?

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by ginastarke, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ginastarke

ginastarke New Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how strict I need to be for the long haul, since I'm past the first 6 weeks. I have 70-something pounds to lose, and haven't had a cholesterol test in the last few months, so no nightshades for now. I try to get to bed as soon as it's completely dark, but you know how it is sometimes- life doesn't allow that.

Since I'm going to be under 25 grams carbs for the rest of the year, I was wondering if it's possible to work in some fruit as long as I stay under 25 grams, or if it has to be "permanent winter" for me until I see my goal weight.

2. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I think there are two issues to consider. One is seasonality - you would never eat any fruit that wasn't in season. Two is your boy's ability to be a fat burner (vs a sugar burner). If you are a sugar burner and/or LR, fruit will simply fuel that process, mess with your blood sugar, weight loss, etc etc. Personally, if I'm craving fruit it typically means that I'm craving sugar and cravings are a symtom that something is still amiss. Just my experience.

3. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

I would consider opting for lower glycemic fruits. I.e. avoid:

banana

apple

pear

You can look up the glycemic load online easily. It seems that most berries have a really low glycemic load. On the other hand we don't need fruit in the short term and I haven't had more than a handful of grapes in the last 3 months. I plan on loading up over summer though! As far as I understand it it's the fructose in the fruit that gets the insulin resistance going as it has to be processed by the liver. I know there are plenty of beneficial food stuffs in fruit, I'm just laying off of them while doing CT etc...

jesse

4. ginastarke

ginastarke New Member

Summer's what I'm thinking about, too. I could live without most fruit, but going all summer without any Oregon strawberries or wild blackberries is a little unbearable. In my area in August, you can smell ripe blackberries on the wind, and it's more tempting than coffee, bakery, heck even a barbecue smell, (I bike home hungry for dinner, LOL ) I've been low carb so long I'm definitely a fat burner. I get a kind of sugar high off prime rib - only it lasts a lot longer without a crash!