1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Why might I think I fear CT?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Matty_M, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Matty_M

Matty_M Purple Angel Club

I have been as strict as possible epi-paleo for the last few months with some small deviation. I intend to remain ketogenic, epi-paleo, w/the Leptin Rx and Leaky Gut Rx until things improve a bit more (I have a journal thread if you want to know where I'm coming from).

I began CT with the face dunks for 3 weeks, about 5-7 dunks per session, averaging around 1:00-1:30 per dunk, with one session a day. I loved it, and added 14 lbs. of ice to my chest each night. After I was up to doing 10-15 dunks, averaging 1:30 each, sometimes nearing 3:00, and could do an hour with the two 7lb. ice bags on my bare chest (about 1.5 weeks), I decided to take to the bath.

It has been very cold where I am, outside of Philadelphia, so the tap water comes out around 42 F. I really just have to take the leap and put my foot in, get my torso under, and shiver. It is not too bad after I get in. The worst part is before getting in, the anticipation. I am not sure why.

It has been only three days, and each bath I went about 30 minutes torso under, and 10 minutes legs under, because once I warm up (after about 10 minutes), I feel like I could stay in for a bit. Then, when I come out, I shiver for about 30 minutes to an hour. I haven't noticed a significant difference in how I feel (yet), though I didn't expect to for a little bit.

The problem is that I am sort of "afraid" of getting into the tub, so it takes a lot of self-pressure to do something that I know I want to do anyway. Even now, hours before filling the tub, it makes me pretty nervous to think about.

How long might it take until I am adapted so the baths don't have to feel so cold? (or does the immense cold feeling not go away?)

Also, would going up a few degrees in temperature make a difference in feeling? I feel like it will be cold anyway so after getting in I would have preferred the colder temps.

Any advice? It just makes me nervous thinking about.

P.S. I do wear socks, gloves, and a hat while in the tub.

Thanks,

- Matt

2. shah78

shah78 Gold

Three years and over two thousand "dunks" later, I STILL NEVER enjoy the first three seconds. So be it. The next 5,000 seconds are not so bad :). ..... More often than not there is a slight nervousness before each and every initial dunk. It has never gone away. I don't think it ever will. It gets better in summer. Duh? What a surprise. ... now go jump in!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Danco3636, nicld and Kristi Lambert like this.
  3. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Here's what I did when using a bathtub. I started by running just an inch or so of lukewarm water and sit in it. Then I started turning the water to cold. It helped take the edge off so to speak. Much easier to turn on colder water when you are already sitting in some water.

Of course, I can only do that down here in the winter. In the summer our "cold" tap water is 70+ degrees.

Danco3636 likes this.
  4. shah78

shah78 Gold

You jarred my memory. I did that "death by a thousand cuts" for the first few weeks. I thought it was very useful.

5. nicld

nicld Gold

It does get better in the summer, especially when you can do CT then go outside and rewarm in the sun naked :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. Matty_M

Thanks! This is really motivational.

Once cold adapted, do the baths feel better?

- Matt

7. shah78

shah78 Gold

The baths felt good from the get go . They got colder and longer and more frequent, but they don't really "feel any better".

Danco3636 and nicld like this.
  8. Matty_M

I just want to get to the point where I can be like that Sherpa that Dave Asprey references often, who walked into a freezing stream in a light jacket, and took Dave's offered jacket and put it into his bag, as he "wasn't very cold".

How long might it take to become this adapted? I'm down for it.

9. nicld

nicld Gold

It all depends how your redox is, your environment, your hormones and diet. Some adapt quickly some it takes much longer. For me, I started CT in the summer and by that winter I was better able to handle the cold of winter and started doing deep CT by adding snow to my tub.

Just keep doing it and go at a pace that works for you but still challenges you once in a while.

10. Matty_M

Thanks!

- Matt