1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Why METHYLENE BLUE FOR MITOCHONDRIA?

Discussion in 'Mitochondrial Rx' started by Jack Kruse, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I found an MB eye drops (Collyre Bleu) yesterday, but am very cautious of trying it without knowing a lot more about it. I'm hacking ghee as a sun cream, (and cloud and rain bathing :D) and this post from Jack
    had me putting a tiny drop of MB in a little bit of ghee and rubbing it on my wrist before using red/NIR light. I figured getting it up to the neurons and my eye through the blood supply was a safer bet without knowing what the eye drops would do, or what else was in them. Will extend the cream round the top of my wrist and report back on the skin. :)

Alex97232, lohd2015 and Mystic Rose60 like this.
  2. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

Alex97232 likes this.
  3. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Mystic Rose60 likes this.
  4. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

I had MB shipped from bluebrainboost.com to Europe without issue. First bottle is still half full after a year of almost daily use.

Hard to say the direct effects of MB since I've been doing a lot more and feel great compared to my early twenties. Either way the combination of many mitohacks is worth it.

Brent Patrick, caroline and Alex97232 like this.
  5. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

@Jack Kruse . This may be a stupid question but I was looking at whether the ancients could have used woad as a MB and found "When Australian toxicologist Elizabeth Gillam was studying bacteria implanted with human DNA, her cultures unexpectedly turned blue. She suspected a mold contamination. But after conferring with Fred Guengerich, a colleague at Vanderbilt University, Gillam realized she'd stumbled onto something wonderful: The bacteria were producing the indigo molecule as part of their metabolism. "This is a good lesson for student scientists," says Gillam. "If something looks bizarre, don't discount it. It might be much more interesting than the result you expected."" (http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0306/resources_who.html).

Apart from the electron connection, could the mitochondria use the MB and electrons to generate a source of light?

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Mitochondria already generate light: IR-A. This helps them make more to affect less water......for a decent effect.

Brent Patrick, Alex97232 and Sue-UK like this.
  7. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

You're welcome @lohd2015 . I'm not sure about the quality because I just recently sent the link to a good friend who wanted some. I'm still well stocked on the blue brain boost here. I ordered from them a long time ago and stocked up, before they put a limit on the # of bottles you could order.

Alex97232 likes this.
  8. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

upload_2017-6-4_13-34-35.png
    Looking at the absorption spectra of MB, I wonder how much of the positive affects are due to the UV end of the spectrum? And yes, I'm hacking it, but not at smurf levels. :D

lohd2015, Alex97232 and Lahelada like this.
  9. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Not to mention the PEAK in the IR end as well. Do let us know your experience. :)

10. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Started with ghee – better skin condition, improved tanning. 1 teaspoon does whole body. Did experiment with 1 glass of from the tap cold water, with a blob of ghee versus a glass of hot from the tap water with a blob of ghee. Left both side by side in UV7. In the cold water the ghee stayed in a lump with a few bits separating out, when I gave up the experiment the ghee hadn’t bleached much. In the hot water steadily losing heat to the cooler surroundings the ghee spread out in a circle on the top of the water, and at the end of the experiment the ghee was completely bleached.

Then I had to make up a MB solution, so did it as usual and got some on a piece of kitchen paper when I was transferring it to the dropper bottle. Usually I would just put it straight in the bin, but this time I took it outside and put it in direct sunlight. Before long it bleached. So then I put the same number of drops on two pieces of kitchen paper, put one in direct sunlight, and the other under a rosemary bush in complete shade. In the same timeframe, the sunlit one bleached, the shaded one kept its colour. I was interested in why the ancients in Britain and Europe painted themselves with woad in a low UV yield environment. Then I found the spectra of Indigotin from woad
    upload_2017-6-5_9-30-30.png
    http://wwwchem.uwimona.edu.jm/courses/CHEM2402/Textiles/Dyeing_Fibres.html.

And compared it to MB.
    upload_2017-6-5_9-31-25.png
    So I wondered if, as well as the red end frequencies, they were using it to amplify UV in a low quantum yield (and it was also used on poultices etc for wounds, had they sussed out its role in preventing infection?)

So then I mixed 3 drops of MB (very dilute solution) with the ghee (almost immediately it started bleaching the carotenoids in the ghee) and applied it as usual. Went outside and sunbathed. Didn’t notice anything particularly. Yesterday morning I did 7 drops (ghee went a very faint blue – not noticeably blue at all when applied to the skin). It was cloudy and cool, and I noticed that my tan seemed lighter, lost the sunkissed glow IYKWIM, as if the cream and/or the cool air was keeping the blood further in. When I came back in (the equivalent of shade or evening?) my skin then started to go redder, like the delayed reaction to a session in a higher UV sun. It was raining the rest of the day so I was out less, but that prompted me to do a Finsen red room session after lunch. (Amazing ….:D).

I was thinking that the delayed reddening of the skin may be a defence mechanism in a high UV, to prevent overbleaching of the RBCs, or in the cold a defence against heat loss. The stimulus stopping may be the trigger for the blood to go to the surface to collect the harvested photons.

I was hacking MB in the CT tub last summer but this summer I’m hacking it with the ghee, and if it goes well I’ll use it in the winter. But my first thoughts are that the surface skin lipids (or something like ghee if the skin is deficient) is important, as is getting light into the usually higher levels of subcutaneous fat in more northern latitudes. (Winter supply of photons?) Nowhere near connecting or discarding dots though ….:confused: But experimenting is fun. :D

11. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

WHOA, I LOVE this, Sue!!! Can you please try MB with coconut oil? PLEASE???? Thank you.

12. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I'll repeat the experiment with MB and either coconut oil or ghee on a glass plate, either in full sunlight or shade, and see if there's a difference.
    "Out of these nonvolatile or fixed oils taken, the SPF value of olive oil and coconut oil was found to be around 8; castor oil, around 6; almond oil, around 5; mustard oil and chaulmoogra oil, around 3; and sesame oil, around 2. Hence it can be concluded that olive oil and coconut oil have the best SPF values, a finding that will be helpful in the selection of fixed oil during the formulation of sunscreens." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3140123/

Its why at a latitude that doesn't grow coconuts or olives I would only ever use coconut oil or olive oil as an after sun lotion, but intuitively even that doesn't feel right. :)

Brent Patrick likes this.
  13. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

You read my mind, Sue. In fact, I was JUST thinking about the fact that coconut oil is probably not the correct oil for you to use at your latitude, and that you'd probably mention something to that effect. LOL. But I can't help my curiosity, since I don't have any MB to play with in Mexico (for now, at least). So for the sake of 'science', if you could repeat the experiment with coconut oil, I'd be forever grateful. :love::rofl:

14. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

OK I'll do the plate experiment first, then if the response isn't weird, on the next higher UV day I'll cut a circular hole in some card and use that as a template on one leg to put the coconut oil mix on, and use my usual for the rest of me. Who knows, a differing circles suntan may become a trend :rofl:

15. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

That would be SOOOO awesome. Thank you Sue!!! :love::love::love::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Brent Patrick likes this.
  16. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

@lohd2015
    We've had a storm here so have so far I've been unable to do the test, but @Mystic Rose60 has an interesting report in the Methylene Blue thread in the ask Jack section. From the ghee and MB, it hasn't deepened my tan, but I held my energy level and dopamine up despite 3 days of torrential rain and then intermittent rain but storm winds and grey skies. I was scavenging a bit of light at an open doorway for a short while, and sticking my head out the window to at least get the circadian signal to my eyes. But the weather didn't frustrate me like it would normally, I was surprised at how well I felt before I could head out this morning under not so strong winds and intermittent cloud. There's enough to top up. :)

17. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Very encouraging indeed. Can't wait for more reports! :thumbsup::)

Mystic Rose60 likes this.
  18. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I'm obsessed with yellow at the moment ... In one of the Alexander Wunsch videos he showed a pic of one of the earliest sunlight therapy, they used a shield covered with gold leaf I think it was .... I was drawn to that much more than aluminium foil as a reflector. I just had the feeling it was better in a low quantum yield. Then I found this on the absorption frequencies of gold
    upload_2017-6-7_13-45-23.png

I've bought some gold shiny gift wrapping paper to use in the cooler weather instead of aluminium foil. :)

Mystic Rose60 and Brent Patrick like this.
  19. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

One of the reasons gold is highly prized by ancients?
    On a totally different subject, Sue:
    Have you ever worked with green? I have been reading a brand new study citing monochromatic green stimulates the synthesis of melatonin. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jne.12468/full

20. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Funny you should say that .... I bought a wine coloured long sleeved full length kaftan, and I'm waiting for the green to come back in stock. I've spent the storm days studying the difference between plant cells and animal cells, and trying to do a reverse photosynthesis :confused: for signalling and light harvesting. Red raises IOP, green lowers it, and the yellow-green frequencies of sunlight drop at dusk, so I've wondered whether IOP is supposed to rise after darkness. There's a small spike in the sleep pressure circadian cycle after lunch (when an animal would seek shade under the green of the trees?). Its a colour I have used, but the length of time and the timing is important I think. Too much might be depressing.