1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Why MD's struggle with QED fundamentally?

Discussion in 'Educating Doctors' started by Jack Kruse, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Docs are taught numbers and taught to believe in the numbers diagnostic tests provide much like baseball and football statisticians rely on them to develop an intrinsic value of the player in question. The irony is numbers can never explain science or nature. Math is the alphabet of nature but it cannot explain anything germane to it.

Numbers help justify decisions, remove some risk, and mitigate accountability. But they can also keep a great opportunity from being fully considered.

Einstein understood the limitations of math in a quantum world. I find this level introspection one of his greatest abilities because he saw the limitations of the science and math he helped create.

Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted, counts.

How do numbers mislead us in medicine and science? They can't explain the influence of the environment in which the numbers describe the probability of what might happen and not what would happen in a specific context of the environment nature is in at that time.

The unspoken issue with traditional cold mathematics metrics is that at times, we are so dead set on justifying a clinical decision or an investment in a therapy that we search until we find the metrics that support our decision. That tendency is cleverly spoofed by a series of Geico commercials where a gentleman stands next to a table offering a “car insurance taste test.” On the table are two cups of juice: sample A and sample B. He asks a passerby to take the test, drinking one sample and then the other. Without fail, sample A is “delicious” and “refreshing,” and sample B is “disgusting” and “terrible.” The gentleman tester then reveals that sample A was the Geico sample and sample B was “Other” insurance company. Obviously the taste of juice has nothing to do with car insurance, let alone Geico’s quality of insurance. But the ad makes a good point: sometimes we’ll try anything to prove our labs values or our numbers worth. Geico hopes you’ll also see the satire. Now I hope you see why I rarely get caught up in the numbers of any lab test or battery of labs.

JoeBranca, digital and Shijin13 like this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

This is why I love MRI's......that picture gives me a real time picture of what labs mean in the present environment.

Cpt.Tired and Shijin13 like this.
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Life is like the sea. The greater the volume of water, the higher the waves can climb and the greater the splash can be. Dive in deep water tonight and wet the world with your splash.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  4. Bill1

Bill1 New Member

no kidding - just got back my Neuroquant MRI results. Yikes! :confused: :eek:

5. Joe Gavin

Joe Gavin Face Everything And Rise

I thought about posting my labs on my journal, from 2013 when I was inflammatory mess to the ones I had done a month ago. Even painstakingly put the values from each year into an excel spreadsheet so "everyone" could comment and tell what me I was doing wrong/right/ whatever.

I came to the conclusion that the only lab value that matters is how my brain is working.
    • Am I sharp?
    • Are big words flowing out easily?
    • Am I thinking with clarity and honesty?
    • Am I emotionally resilient to work and life matters?
    • Do I have the mental strength and courage TODAY to do what I want to do and say what I want to say?
    • Am I living fully and freely?
    • Do I have the strength to Face Everything And Rise (my new definition of FEAR)?
    These are the only labs that matter to me.

caroline and Cpt.Tired like this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

7. shoot! I just got a phlebotomy this morning:confused:

8. digital

digital Gold

This would be a great mini blog entry.

9. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Just out of curiosity, when you see an MRI and the images are bright, does that mean their redox potential is good or does it mean that they are leaking more light to their environment?

10. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

You got it Pontiac!:D

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Read the Redox Rx 2 blog........its all there.

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  12. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Thanks Dude!:)

13. Butters

Butters New Member

Seems like Jack put some protein on^^

14. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Cool shirt - you have style. Do you wear Rock Revival jeans too? I do (^_-)★彡

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator