1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Why is this taking so long?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by Eve, May 17, 2012.

1. Eve

Eve New Member

Why is it taking so long for my leaky gut to heal?

I've been on GAPS intro more or less since Feb 2011. Before that I was gluten free for 2 years (but tried restarting it in Fall 2010 and failed) and was trying my best to be corn-free until I realized that corn is in nearly everything.

I've been doing the Leptin Reset since Jan 2012, with only one cheat late Jan (several glasses of wine one weekend). For the past couple of months, I have been doing CT face-dunking (1st month 2-3 times a week) and spot CTing on my stomach every day or every other day for the past 3 weeks. I've tried taking a bath a couple of times with a wool hat but it was pretty unpleasant even at 65 degrees.

In the past month, I've been consistently getting glutathione IV once a week, although it's expensive. I've been taking glutamine powder since Feb but reacted to all other supplements.

Since adding CT my sleep is better. And in the past month, my skin has been consistently smooth. After starting GAPS last year, my skin has a nice glow to it. Headaches are less and reactions to food intolerances are not as bad but still debilitating.

However, now to the not so good stuff...My leaky gut is terrible! And I fear that it is never going to get better. It seems that I react to everything -- gluten, corn derivatives, all grains, dairy, nuts, chocolate, coconut butter etc....And if it's not that either everything has corn in it (corn derivatives) or I react to it because it's not organic. I would kill for some bacon or sausages but can't find a brand even natural ones that I don't react to. Plus I'm sensitive to fragrances -- makes me feel nauseous. I tried bovine colostrum and was repulsed by the taste. I was taking probiotics since Sep 2011 but realized a couple of days ago that they are not gluten-free and that I was having a reaction to them.

I'm going to make some sauerkraut soon though to supplement.

I've also more or less weighed the same the entire 5 months on Leptin Reset and I need to lose at least 25lbs. I did start losing weight after I removed the poultry I was reacting to but then I tried some 100% chocolate and nuts this week and am now almost 10lbs up.

My doctor won't test my estrogen or progesterone levels. I'm not overly concerned about my hormones because my last month's period was finally regular and mostly cramp free (vs. my previously heavy ones). My HS-CRP was 1.6 last month...which I would think would be higher because of all my leaky gut probs. My O6:O3 ratio was 10.8:1...but I tested at a time I was reacting to some poultry that likely had some corn in it or wasn't truly organic. Once I took the poultry out, my soft skin returned.

I was on T4 meds for my thyroid since Feb 2008 but last month I convinced my doc to switch me to natural dessicated thyroid. When I was on T4 meds, my labs last month were 0.03TSH and free t3 bottom of range and free t4 middle of range.

Is there any hope for me? I can't even give up because I can't eat anything else and have to eat only meat and veggies by default. Yes, this is a post out of desperation.

2. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

Have you ever considered that Candida overgrowth in your gut might be ther eason your leaky gut aint healing? This was the case for me. 8 months of constantly trying everything I could to fix my leaky gut, and I only mildly improved. Then I went and actively treated my Candida overgrowth, and while the die-off was horrific for the first 3 days, then prettyc rappy for the next 6 weeks, I came out on the other end feeling much better. Now I consider myself 90% healed, while before fixing the candida I was stalling at 50% healed without any signs of improving.

3. Eve

Eve New Member

Thanks for your response. I had considered Candida at one point but wasn't sure cause I don't have any itchy skin or yeast infections -- typical candida signs that I've read about it. But I'm willing to try anything. What did you use to combat it? Difflucan?

4. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I didn't have any signs either, other than constant thrush back in my SAD-days, but I had a thick, yellow coating on the back of my tongue. THAT is a typical sign of Candida in the gut. I used kyolic garlic, daily coconut oil, but never Difflucan. I think Difflucan can be a good idea though, if you have the signs of candida. Another sign is yellow/amber colour around the irises in your eyes. I had it, but now its gone. So is the coating on my tongue.

5. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

Kyolic garlic is a very storng and powerful antifungal. You start with 2 capsules daily, then build up to 4. The whole course should be an entire box, which is normally 200 capsules. Youc an buy it any good health-shop.

6. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

My situation is very similar to yours, and I totally feel your pain on the food front. I am down to meat and veggies as well (no bacon or anything cured, and no pork in general, no mushrooms). I have had 3 yeast tests (2 stool, one urine). The 2 stool tests returned negative for candida, the urine one showed yeast metabolites. When I eat something I'm sensitive to, I gain tremendous weight overnight, much like you describe.

My doctor recently tested me for the presense of mold (with a urine analysis from Realtime Labs), and my test confirmed exposure. Since the toxins are stored in the fat tissues, he had me do a 1 week weight loss diet (which was really difficult because I don't drop weight very easily anymore), and then re-test. I wil get those results on Monday morning, and then he will create some kind of treatment plan, based on my toxin load. He is also suspicious of lyme disease for me.

I also struggle with thyroid issues. With low free T3.

7. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I'm confused, there is something I am missing. Where are getting all the corn, etc. from? There is no corn, gluten, etc. on the leptin reset unless it is in your supplements. Are you saying that cuz the chicken was fed corn you are reacting to it? Could you give a day's sampling of your meals?

What about seafood? Can you eat that? Just make sure it is not farmed otherwise you will have the corn issue again. Have you sourced some grass fed and grass finished beef out? That would help with the meat part and it is usually cheaper if you can find a local farmer that sells it by the quarter or half if you have freezer room.

I also agree with Glam, if you have leaky gut that bad - you have Candida. Do you still crave sugar? I have Candida and don't have the symptoms you talk about and have tested positive for it. I can tell you I have treated it but still am not sure I have gotten rid of it. You have to work really hard and long to get rid of it. I am working on leaky gut too. Recently, I have added kombucha to my diet. I beleive that is helping too. I do the l-glutamine powder, aloe juice, bubbies sauerkraut and kombucha for leaky gut. I am not nearly as bad as you though.

You should read Mamagrok's success story. It is in the success stories area. She has battled the stomach stuff for a long time. Not saying it was leaky gut as I don't remember but she only eats fat and protein until whatever ails her is is gone. She is doing so much better now. She was on GAPS for a while before this too. Perhaps she will see this thread and chime in. She really is probably your best go to person.

On a positive note, sounds like you are having a some success with TOM. That is encouraging. Something has to be working for that to happen. Also, give you thyroid meds a little time to work. They should be better than t4 only for sure. I hope you get some great answers to help you.

8. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I'm in a similar situation and feel your pain!! I've been on GAPS for over 18 months and started the leptin rx January 1st of this year. I'm still dealing with leaky gut issues and can't tolerate many veggies. I also have issues with constipation/diarrhea and nearly always have undigested food in my stool.

I've had 2 stool tests done and neither showed any harmful overgrowths at all. I did have a lack of beneficial bacteria, but I do take huge amounts of probiotics and eat tons of fermented foods to try to help with that. I highly doubt I'm dealing with candida because I haven't had sugar cravings for over a year now. It just doesn't tempt me at all. If I get cravings for anything, it's veggies!

I only eat fats, meats and some dark leafy greens like kale with the occasional piece of broccoli or bit of cabbage. I have sauerkraut with every single meal and have started making some other ferments that I'm hopeful will benefit my gut.

I know part of my problem is definitely hormonal though as my TOM will come once every 6-9 months and my hormone levels are totally in the toilet :(

9. Eve

Eve New Member

Yes, I'm not eating corn or gluten or grains...I was just venting that I couldn't eat them even if I tried. And I was referring to corn derivatives there on out. For example, Bubbies Sauerkraut has corn derivatives in it (not listed on ingredients list)...I belong to a Corn Allergy/Sensitivity forum and they have confirmed it as well...Crazy I know! Plus I have no issues with homemade sauerkraut.

Another example is veggies in the grocery store. I am in Canada and have to stay clear of veggies imported from the US because they are sprayed with a pesticide or preservative or whatever that is derived from corn. Local, unsprayed veggies on the other hand I am fine with.

With the poultry I was reacting to, I'm not 100% sure if it was corn deriviatives. I eat pork and beef that is fed corn and I am ok with it so I am thinking the chicken was rinsed in something derived from corn or a chemical that I'm reacting to.

This is what I eat on a daily basis

breakfast: 6-8 eggs fried in coconut oil and ~1/2 cup organic, free-range ground pork or beef

late lunch/dinner: local zucchini/broccoli and garlic stir-fry in coconut oil and salmon or shrimp

And yes, I have cravings usually all the time for desserts and pizza. I'm prone to binging on foods that I react to. For example, I caved and had some nut butter (which I'm sensitive to) this week and ate nearly all the jar in one sitting.

I am going to check that kyolic garlic out and I also have some olive leaf extract I am going to start up again. I also may ask my doctor about Nyastin (sp?), which is a prescription anti-fungal that is recommended by the GAPS doctors. My doctor is also going to refer me to an internal medicine doctor.

Thank you for your replies

10. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

However, now to the not so good stuff...My leaky gut is terrible! And I fear that it is never going to get better. It seems that I react to everything -- gluten, corn derivatives, all grains, dairy, nuts, chocolate, coconut butter etc....And if it's not that either everything has corn in it (corn derivatives) or I react to it because it's not organic. I would kill for some bacon or sausages but can't find a brand even natural ones that I don't react to. Plus I'm sensitive to fragrances -- makes me feel nauseous. I tried bovine colostrum and was repulsed by the taste. I was taking probiotics since Sep 2011 but realized a couple of days ago that they are not gluten-free and that I was having a reaction to them.

I'm going to make some sauerkraut soon though to supplement.

Here is a recipe for "bacon" that you will not react to. I have been on the SCD/GAPS for over six years so I know what your are talking about:

http://eatkamloops.org/salted-pork-belly/

Here are some more recipes. If you are not eating fermented foods, you could try that:

http://eatkamloops.org/specific-carbohydrate-diet-scd-recipes/

Healing takes time. You didn't get where you are overnight. I will take time to fully recover. I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Caroline

11. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I wonder if the eggs are in any way not helping you. I thought I read that somewhere. You could do an "ask Jack" and see what he tells you about food and leaky gut. A lot of us have leaky guts so the question is beneficial for all.

12. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I know I can't touch eggs without feeling kind of ill shortly afterwards, and then the water retention/weight gain issues follows... I had hoped to try raw eggs at some point, but then I remember reading Jack saying eggs are contraindicated with AI issues. I don't know clearly "why," though.

13. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I'd ditch the eggs for a few weeks. They tend to be an issue for leaky gut.

Here are some supplements that will fast-track leaky gut healing: Sea Cure whitefish peptides, N-Acetyl Glucosamine (NAG), L-Reuteri (a specific probiotic strain that rebuilds the villi and gut lining) and possibly cat's claw (also antifungal and immune boosting. Nutricology and Saventaro are good brands). Stay on these for at least 2 months. I was able to reverse a ton of food sensitivities using these.

Candida doesn't always cause skin or vaginal symptoms. It often causes bloating, headaches, brain fog, etc.

If candida is an issue, I also recommend a month of Candex enzymes. They work faster than antifungals do and some strains of yeast are so resistant that they're really hard to kill with antifungals. Candex doesn't work via an antifungal mechanism; it's an enzyme that dissolves the cell wall of the yeast and implodes it. The yeast isn't able to become resistant. It's good to take an immune booster like cat's claw along with it to help the suppressed immune system to recover and be able to keep the yeast from coming back (it's always in us- it's just a matter of keeping it balanced with good bacteria and a healthy immune system).

If someone is having a really hard time killing yeast, consider a heavy metal cleanse. A naturopath I know discovered that all of his difficult yeast patients had a lot of heavy metals and when they were removed, the yeast cleared easily. The best product for heavy metals that I know of is HMD Heavy Metal Detox.

14. Great stuff, Hazy Jane. Thanks! I just saw a Func Med doc and she diagnosed me with leaky gut (it wasn't a huge leap) but I wasn't really thrilled with the medicinal food that she wanted me to take - Metagenics Ultra Clear Sustain. It has like 10g of sugar per serving and like 34 carbs. I do NOT want to take it and was going to have to research alternatives - SO THANK YOU.

I also really like how she explained the connection between leaky gut and AF. Basically, if your gut is leaky, your body is under constant attack and your adrenals will be working over time.

My understanding about eggs is that it's the white part that people react to because that is the part of the egg that has the "defense mechanism" in it. Here is a nice article on eggs -

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/an-egg-yolk-a-day-keeps-the-doctor-away/

This part:

Unlike most animals, eggs can’t defend themselves by bitting or escaping and have to rely on some of the same mechanisms that plants, grains and seeds use to survive. The white is solely responsible for this part while the yolk is busy becoming a full-fledged animal. 13 of the 14 proteins found in the white have anti-microbial properties. This usually deters microbes and viruses, but can also affect us, especially when consumed in high quantity or when our gut health is already compromised.

The protein lysozyme, which is usually harmless, can bind with proteins like ovomucoid or ovoinhibitor and inhibit trypsin, a protease enzyme, from doing its job of digesting proteins. Even more insidious, some of the compounds can pass through the intestinal wall and can agravate autoimmune problems or damaged guts. This is why egg whites are best avoided when dealing with autoimmune problems.

15. Holly

Holly New Member

I think I read somewhere that sensitivity to smells can be a sign of candida overgrowth. Certainly worth trying anyway

16. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

During both pregnancies, my sense of smell was so strong I really really struggled with all day sickness!

17. melrito

melrito Gold

i asked jack about eggs with a leaky gut in the "ask jack" section a couple days ago - he said avoid them.

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

yep.......no good.

19. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Wait, what?!

20. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

ditto: what?!

also - which one doesnt have actual live probiotics? the kraut or the pickles?