1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Why does morning UV feel different than later in the day?

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by lilreddgirl, Jan 23, 2016.

1. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

It feels so refreshing :) !

Why is MORNING UV in particular recommended?

If there is UVA all day long and certain seasons never get UVB even at noon in some latitudes, why such a great difference between morning and other times?

Brent Patrick likes this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Because it is what turns off the pituitary when UVA hits the skin.........it changes the atomic signaling.

3. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Grrr... "UV turns off the pituitary" but why wouldn't afternoon UV do this?

That is my question. Am I missing something or conversely did my question get missed.

• if UVA turns off the pituitary, why wouldn't UV later in the day also do this?

• a tangent: if we have Blacklights on early morning such as right before and during sunrise, would that prevent the pituitary turning on or turn it off too early ?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    seanb4 likes this.
  4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Our hormones are on a daily cycle. Cortisol surges around sunrise, then starts to decline as UV increases and the steroid hormones are produced. In the afternoon, cortisol is too low, I think, for the body to produce the hormones, though UV abounds. I'm sure the body has gone on to some other task for the early afternoon, like optimizing the muscles and coordination.
    So if you skip AM sunshine, you've missed the window of opportunity.

5. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Thanks nonchalant :) that model makes some sense. I'm getting that the morning is when the steroid hormones would be produced and probably they get produced much much better with UV light. I remember from Dr. Kruse's blog that the body is either producing cortisol or producing hormones...

So by the afternoon maybe the substrate has been too lowered to produce much of either cortisol or other hormones...hmm

6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

This is where your two recent questions converge. Morning sunlight has equal blue UV and ir . It is stimulating. Afternoon is for healing,has a larger red /IR proportion which also explains why I said to use your IR in the pm window but get the am light as nature intended.

Brent Patrick and lilreddgirl like this.
  7. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

It may play into it that the earth magnetic field gets stronger heading for nightfall .

8. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Wouldn't the rotation of the earth cause a slight blue shift in the morning and red shift in the afternoon? Probably too little of a shift to make any significant difference though.

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  9. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I think you are correct Da mo

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

@lilreddgirl I've been reading Time#6, and I understand what Jack wrote better now. Once the UV light starts in the later morning, the dopamine riot begins, which shuts down the pituitary and the hormone party that was going on earlier. If you want more hormones, you'll need to wait until tomorrow morning.

About your tangent question, Jack said somewhere not to use UV lights in the early morning, before UV naturally is found in sunlight -- 10 or 11 am.

11. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Thanks... and Whoa! wait a minute... I thought we were supposed to be out ideally between 7-9 to GET UV! What am I doing out there :) lol...

I def got the idea that we're out getting UV until 10 - 11 AM. Many are talking about 'the dopamine hit' they feel when they first get sun in their eye too. Dr. K says theres that blue and IR sunrise, and UV shows up a little after, but I have surely read him more than once talk about getting UV before 10-11.

That 'little after' when the UV shows up is what I'm unsure about. From all I've read here I have been convinced UVA is present in the morning, though I think UVB probably shows up late 10-11, so maybe that's why he says don't use UV lamps 'till then, because Solar Glo for example has some UVB too. I actually noticed that I don't feel good with it on before 10-11 myself also... but again does this extend to blacklights? another thing I'm not sure of... I heard Dr. K even uses them at night in his car if he's on call... so again still not sure.

But now that this has come up, I will experiment with no blacklights 'till later too. (Because I've actually been experimenting with sleeping with them on for awhile).

What you wrote really helps me 'get' the hormone thing a little stronger. Morning = make hormones or else wait till tomorrow. Got it. That's really important.

Brent Patrick and seanb4 like this.
  12. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

I just googled and found a possible indication that approx 30 min after sunrise there might be some UVA starting to show up ... something re the sun's angle by that time...

hmmm... so re: the hormones, if sun reportedly rises at say 7 10 here but I only see it come up over neighboring houses at 730, is 10 minutes of that enough to prime my hormones I wonder?

seanb4 likes this.
  13. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Lilredd,do it and see. About the half hour delay try and see. Maybe it will be or maybe you need to take a walk to a more open spot.Not being funny but there are variables to the equation.
    You are a bit confused about the "sun window" The idea is that the sun starts your day and that sunlight hits your retina as close to sunrise as possible. That part of the Leptin Rx does not change. Expose ALL your surfaces in the 9-11 window .UV is a huge story but not all the story.
    Re black light aka UVA lamps at night in the car they are adding additional frequency to predominantly blue light as a protection measure,a lesser evil so to speak when caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. Morning UVB messes with the ideal interplay of sunlight frequencies,an interplay which you cannot imitate, UVA shows up relatively early.

I think that's how it is....;)

lilreddgirl likes this.
  14. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

You're right! Thanks for clarifying the UVA vs UVB. I keep saying just UV--I need to get it straight.

lilreddgirl and seanb4 like this.
  15. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Thanks Lahleda,

Thank you for the reminder of exposing all the surfaces to the UV, that helped me refocus on including that.

Is the ideal window for skin exposure then 9-11 or sunrise-9 ? I've now heard both mentioned, it might seem not important but implementation wise it is...

I have been trying looking at the sun everyday when it comes up - ungrounded - from the upstairs balcony. I'm not sure how to 'check' if it primes my hormones. What should I look for? I seem to feel in a more alert and better mood for the day if I take a 40 min to 1 hour walk sunrise-9 regardless if I saw sunrise or not.

There are no other suitable open spots for looking at the sunrise that I've been able to find, so far only 1, possibly 2 spots... both a 30 min drive away. There is a seemingly excellent spot for sunrise above the gulf about a 5 min drive away... but for me it's too EMFd due to very frequent airplanes flying low directly overhead (I felt awful last time I tried it, but my EMF sensitivity has since reduced... perhaps at some point the airplanes will feel inconsequential, or perhaps it will still be an EMF problem even without my extra sensitivity...).

Likely if I can get that 30 min morning drive going as a habit - pre-sunrise drive doesn't sound that healthy :( or appealing - I can get to the ocean beach... where I may or may not see sunrise (mountains may block) but I will be much more able and inclined to expose surfaces to UV, and likely to spend more time doing that.

If the ideal window for skin exposure is 9-11, I can wait and see the last 10 minutes of reddish sunrise from my house, maybe even have a walk and breakfast, then drive to the beach after for UV exposure. If it's more of the sunrise-9 window, then getting up before dawn and driving may be better, minus the damage of waking and driving pre-sunrise :( .

I seem to feel better having my morning walk earlier sunrise - 9, rather than later, 9-11, so am not sure what that means...

seanb4 likes this.
  16. JoeT

JoeT Gold

This was a very helpful thread to refer back to.... but I do have one question that I have not seen addressed elsewhere. (it probably has been and I just can't find it).
    So basically, we've all heard JK say that 5-15 minutes at sunrise, while not long enough to be optimal, is technically enough for SCN timing etc. However, does that also hold true for shutting the pituitary off in the prime 9-11 window ?? For instance, I have no trouble getting far more than 5-15 at sunrise; but I would think it's far more difficult for most folks on here to get more than 5-15 minutes in the key 9-11 window due to work schedules etc.

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

It varies by season, latitude, altitude and the biggie: population density.

18. JoeT

JoeT Gold

Hopefully this is an accurate following of your bread crumb.....this chart shows the average UV index on the 1st of each month, by hour of day, in my zip... So perhaps on clear days from April - October there would be enough UV out by 10:30 ish to get the job done in 15 minutes. The others months, probably not!

Attached Files:

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

answer is right there....................[​IMG]

20. JoeT

JoeT Gold

OK: so if this simple Wunsch chart holds the answer....I have to draw the following conclusion: Yes, the pituitary will be shut "off" fairly quickly once UVA shows up; however, we should all just get simple UVA meters so we can actually know for sure when it is out, as it will be highly variable based on the day, season, cloud cover, zip code etc etc.[/quote]

Attached Files: