1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Why do I still feel cold?

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by John Smith, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Inna

Inna Platinum

good point! Yes, hot lamps might be problematic as any aggressive rewarming; though IR from the lamp would penetrate much deeper than skin – hence might actually lessen after-drop

2. Inna

Inna Platinum

lol, Dan, as long as blood flow is not diverted from your vital organs (whichever those might be)…

drezy likes this.
  3. That was my thought - IR penetrates pretty deeply. EMF, however, might be another issue.

4. "
    “My body had stayed warm the entire time and I had no pain in my extremities. I was improving!
    I remained excited until the afterdrop kicked in a few minutes later. I told Wim and he suggested that we all jog home, not just for my afterdrop, but also for extra exercise.”

Excerpt From: Wim Hof and Justin Rosales. “Becoming the Iceman.” Apple Books.

ALEXIS TUDOR likes this.
  5. ALEXIS TUDOR

ALEXIS TUDOR Gold Member

THanks for responding Inna. What do you mean by "this T" I guess there is a graceful medium between re warming but also trying to use the vasoconstriction as much as possible while you warm. Knowing how biology works gradual changes sound the best. Sounds like the exercise is best once the blood starts to remix and you core starts bitching at you (which I guess in essence is the afterdrop) :).

6. ALEXIS TUDOR

ALEXIS TUDOR Gold Member

One more question while we are on this topic. If there is no fat to burn what does the body use to rewarm?

drezy likes this.
  7. drezy

drezy New Member

Keep going with this question and do not be satisfied with a simple answer.

ALEXIS TUDOR likes this.
  8. Inna

Inna Platinum

T - temperature

I believe warming effect like rewarming after cold water swimming happens via blood flow in the warm blooded creatures like humans, and is regulated via vasoconstriction or vasodilation - which is very rapid and responsive to the immediate needs of the organism; cold exposure makes body (mitochondria) generate more heat (like thermostat). You don’t necessarily need to fat burn for heat generation to occur...

ALEXIS TUDOR likes this.
  9. ALEXIS TUDOR

ALEXIS TUDOR Gold Member

OK, in that case one more: Would it be more effective to dunk half the body in 40 degree water(up to navel) or the whole body in 60 degree water(up to chest). I am thinking the goal is to make the body leptin sensitive right so it is a systemic response. Not sure if a larger lukewarm response (whole body at 60) or a smaller but intense response (half body at 40) is better.

10. drezy

drezy New Member

Your first question has an embedded fundamental that is amazing in my opinion.

You're a gold member. Listen again to the last Q&A. It has already changed my cold tub setup.

JanSz and KrusinWitchie like this.
  11. ALEXIS TUDOR

ALEXIS TUDOR Gold Member

Just curious.... how so?

12. Inna

Inna Platinum

yes, especially if the other half (non-immersed) of your body is exposed to sunlight - Fournier effect. CT outside is probably the best if you can find suitable body of water. It would also provide grounding for you.
    Re water temperature, according to Jack optimal water temperature is 50-55 degrees F, reducing below which is not necessarily providing additional benefits, though not harmful either as long as one is cold adapted
    If doing CT indoors (less preferable), might consider reptilian UV lamps / full spectrum lamps for non-immersed skin

13. ALEXIS TUDOR

ALEXIS TUDOR Gold Member

thanks Inna. Good to know. Yeah for now I have a small 30 gallon tupperware set out on my deck with a grounding wire stuck in it and some epsom salts. Also Sun shines on the sunny days which seems to be about half the time in Knoxville these days. I will definately try and keep it at 52ish even though I can tolerate 40 because there ain't much on these bones to fight off extra temp til perhaps one day it will not really matter.

14. recoen

recoen Gold

What about ice vests while in a warm bathtub for an inside Fournier effect? Obviously not comparable to cold water in the sun.

15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I was not able to listen to the last Q&A directly.
    It is now available with this comment:
    Recording starts at 28:53, we are fixing the audio and will upload when complete, after the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Any idea when the first 28:53 minutes will be available?

16. Inna

Inna Platinum

JanSz, first 28:53 min IS available, it is just silent, the beginning of actual Q&A Is at 28:53 min

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Inna
    I am not sure if you are correct.
    Jack is clearly saying that the product is:
    not complete
    and
    it will be fixed

18. Ski coach

Ski coach Gold

My download works as Inna described. @JanSz

19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I understand, thank you.
    On the begining of Q&A Jack is usually providing tons of new material that is nowhere else.
    So all that is gone now.
    Unless the fixing happens.

20. Ski coach

Ski coach Gold

The new material/introduction starts at 28:53. I heard the call live and there is nothing missing at the beginning.