1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Why do circadian cycles matter to humans? Should we pay deep attn to them?

Discussion in 'Factor X' started by Jack Kruse, Jan 11, 2013.

1. maggie

maggie New Member

Thanks,I'll take alook.

2. freesia

freesia Old Member

It's a revelation to me that apartments aren't earthed!
    Here we have electric plugs with 3 prongs. The bottom prong is a connection to "earth". Each power socket is earthed.
    If you modify a plug to disable the wires to the top two prongs you have a plug that connects to earth only. We have modified plugs (I think you can buy them pre-modified but my husband is handy like that so he made ours)...attached to stretchy wires then to a wrist band of the type people wear when they're working on sensitive electronic equipment. A few dollars from an electronics store. We have more power sockets than we use beside the bed so we keep the earthing bands plugged in...and the power switched off. Earth still works. Earth is GOOD like that...doesn't bump up your power bill! [​IMG]

Other ways of earthing include connecting a wrist strap or earthing mat by wire to a copper stake pushed ino the ground outside. There is a website called lessemf dot com, I think they might illustrate a variety of options.

WAPF is interested in zeta potential maybe? A couple of people associated with them have mentioned zeta lately. But from what perspective? The way we use fat might be my best guess??

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

What is coming will really be eye opening..........

4. maggie

maggie New Member

@ Ann We do have the three prong plugs, I just have to figure out how to do this. Thanks.

5. Glen PDQ

Glen PDQ New Member

Electrical receptacles can malfunction or be miswired. There is an inexpensive 120-volt tester that plugs into a receptacle. The 3 lights on the tester tell if it is correctly wired and grounded. It is very simple to use, just plug it in and look at the lights.

It is also possible an old receptacle has been updated from 2-prong to 3-prong without connecting a ground wire. Even though it has 3 prong holes, such an outlet will not supply ground.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Those of you who heard Dec and January webinars are in for a real treat soon............

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Tonight on the free Q & A we unleash the Optimal reset..............you read to to test the metal of the Mitochondrial Rx? You think your version of healthy is "more correct" Well test yourself and your beliefs with the Easy bio hack. I mentioned this last March at the Mastermind sessions that I use three labs for the quick bio-hack.........Tonight on the free Q & A hear why HS CRP, VIT D and DHEA is all you got to track to know why your mitochondria are on or off based upon your beliefs..............

HDL, DHEA, Vit D level Why? HDL tells me three main things.....overall inflammation in the body and at the mitochondrial level, zeta potential (how viscus blood is die to inflammation, EMF, artificial light exposure and how badly their body is lacking in electrons to make ATP at their mitochondria) , HDL levels how permeable the intestinal border is right now, and how efficient sleep really is. DHEA is the middle of the hormone chain, and tells me about androgen power and the immunity switch, so it gives me a decent idea of how metabolically efficient one is.......it tells me about the proximal chain (free T3 and pregnenolone) an it tells me what I should expect from the distal sex steroid hormones if this one is low........the most important thing DHEA tells me is sleep efficiency because of its 98% correlation to IL-6 production in the brain....DHEA is the second most powerful antioxidant in the brain..........from its level and the persons age I can extrapolate what their IGF1 and salivary melatonin are doing to circadian cycles. The vitamin D levels tell me two main things.......how bad immune system is off, and is there a potential slow methylation problem if both the HDL and Vit D level is low.........Then I can test the methylation pathways if I think the clinical story matches the history. Low Vitamin D levels also tell me about mitochondrial efficiency and how tight new synapses are or will be now based upon age and level of the lab.......if the age is above 40 and the level below 20 I know that this patient likely has a severe low brain dopamine level and low sex steroid hormones too. Those are my top three and why. Testing allows us to challenge our beliefs. Understanding the hormone panels and the labs is the Rosetta stone for understanding mitochondrial efficiency. We only are as good as our mitochondrial function. They are the batteries of our cells and much like a new Xmas toy that has bad batteries placed in it it wont work optimally. The same analogy is true for human mitochondria. We need to assess the exhaust from the mitochondria......CO2, H2O, and Tissue O2 levels. This tells us all about how good or bad our Ferrari engines really are running. We should define bioenergetics as the studying the flow of chemical bond energy within organisms. In a living cell, the principal reactions of fuel metabolism take place in the mitochondria, where food energy is released,oxygen is consumed, and water and carbon dioxide are produced. All life on earth utilizes the energy formed from water formation to power pathways and metabolism. Remember the Calvin cycle/photosynthesis, where carbs (glucose) are formed from air (CO2), and energy of the sun? In the mitochondria, the opposite reaction occurs. Energy from the exothermic reaction of water forming from air (O2) and the enzymatic burning of fuel (oxidizable food, glucogen, glucose, fat) result in HEAT and ATP. When one mole of H2O is created from one H2 (hydrogen) and half O2 (oxygen), 286 kJ of power are released (in other words, 68 kcal, which is about one small potato).... FROM FORMATION OF ONLY ONE MOLE OF WATER. So clearly, a high BUN/creatinine ratio on a chem 7 also tells us we are energy starved. This is why dehydration is a major clinical sign of mitochondrial damage and or stress. This is another reason why I ascribe to the mitochondrial theory of aging. We have no direct ability as humans to repair mDNA. It is our weakest link, and as I have said in the Brain Gut 5, we are only as good as our weakest link. Well, this is it for all mammals.

CO2 1/2 O2 = one mole H2O (~18 grams water = 3.5 teaspoons) = 286 kJ of power from water

With cellular respiration, instead of an enormous exothermic explosion (similar to hydrogen bomb), the electrons and protons are added to chain of beads instead a straw pipe made from Q10.......on a step-wise on a gradient known as the electron transport chain (ECT) in plants and animals. A biological mitochondrial 'battery' is created with the 'anode' on the inner mitochondrial membrane side and the 'cathode' on the outer layer. Heat is energy released when oxygen is the final proton acceptor and coupled to the enzyme called F1 F0-ATPase, that forms ATP, the universal currency of cellular energy in the body.

When the protons fall across the proton channel, ATP is formed. We use ATP as fuel every minute every day for all cellular work, then recycled back to ADP. In one day, it is estimated that our mitochondria may produce our own weight in ATP (1). Efficiency of the theoretical transfer of energy from oxidizable fuel to ATP and heat is shockingly good: 39% ATP and 61% heat [1]. This data show us mitochondria are energy giants. To give you an idea of how good they are read this: This is is from my blog on June 14, 2011 called What powers life and death? (www.jackkruse.com/what-powers-life-and-death/)

"Bacteria generate energy across their outer membrane. This limits their energy production due to geometry. Their energy production falls off due to a falling surface area to volume area ratio. Animal cells, by absorbing the power plant, now figured out how to internalize energy production and expand the surface area of the inner membranes with massive folding like we see in the surface of the brain. These evolutionary changes are believed to have occurred only once in the history of our planet. Endosymbiosis is rare in bacteria. Peter Mitchell was initially ridiculed for his theories on bio-energentics of mitochondria. He showed how effective this evolutionary maneuver was. He showed that this change caused a pH gradient as well as an electrical charge of about 150 millivolts across the inner membrane. This may sound like a small amount of charge, but consider this fact. The inner membrane is only 4-5 nanometers thick, so the voltage across this membrane is about 30 million volts per meter! For comparison, that is equivalent to the energy in a bolt of lightening. That one bolt has the power generate energy of 1500 three thousand square foot homes in one mitochondria. Each cell has hundreds to thousands of those power houses in them. That is the power surge that fueled evolution and complex life forms."

Obviously many biological factors determine true efficiency: iron status (cytochromes are composed of heme), ubiquinol (not ubiquinone) (huge and another test I often perform) , oxidative and inflammatory state (mentioned above in the three tests), thyroid, HPA axis function (DHEA as a proxy for other hormones) , hormones, etc.

Plant chloroplasts only get 3-6% efficiency from transfer of solar energy to the energy bonds of plant starches and fatty acids. Particular C-4 plants can get 7-8% (sugarcane) and one super cyanobacteria strain Chlorobaculum tepidum achieves 10%. Various modern fuel efficiencies are approximately -- for coal (~20-30s%) and solar (20%). This puts into perspective how important mitochondrial efficiency really is to optimal health.......without the ability to make ATP what do we call a person? They are called a cadaver. Illnesses are the train stops on the subway line between optimal and being a cadaver.......if your batteries are off it is a measure of your real wellness or illness in my view.

CITES:

1. http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0073525502/930160/mad25502_ch08.pdf

8. kathylu

kathylu Gold

About the three tests...My HDL is great, but I supplement vitamin D (8000 units/day) and DHEA (100 mg per day), so my blood levels are good. Should I (all of us?) stop supplementing in order to get a baseline for the start of the 90 day optimal challenge? I don't see how it's useful to take a baseline if one is supplementing like crazy.

Also, did you mean HDL or HS-Crp? You mentioned both in the paragraph above.

9. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Good questions, I didn't notice the HDL/hsCRP confusion.
    I know for my ASI test, the instructions said to stop supplementing DHEA. I wonder about pregnenolone supplementation for the challenge.
    I think somewhere earlier Dr. Kruse said not to stop supplementing Vitamin D for a test.
    And I'd guess he meant hsCRP. Running labs and leaving out hsCRP sounds like heresy... Besides, HDL is usually easy to increase.

10. freesia

freesia Old Member

Glen, this is an important point.
    We have relatively new wiring but we still used a volt tester as you described - 2 orange lights. All our outlets are fine.
    Dr Mercola mentioned he takes one of these testers to hotels he stays at so he can choose a good outlet to plug his grounding sheet into to. It sounds as if not all outlets are earthed.