1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Why did this site get sticky?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by caroline, Jul 11, 2014.

1. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

I would say that this is precisely why method (epistemology) is more important than content (knowledge).

If you consistently employ the correct method, you will eventually expand your knowledge massively regardless of the content that you started with. You will be fully capable of incorporating new evidence as it becomes available and be able to "self-correct" as you go.

Conversely, if you start with a strong knowledge-base but employ a restrictive methodology, your brilliant content will atrophy over time and harden into rigid dogma because it cannot evolve. If you can't evolve you will eventually perish, as the ever-expanding story of "truth" will tend to threaten rather than enlighten an entrenched mind or movement.

This is happening to paleo now because its methodology and assumptions are quite limited, in my opinion.

The dogmatic tendencies that I spoke of in the current blog apply in principle just as much to subcultures and ideological movements as they do to societies and governments.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    Optimalbound and nonchalant like this.
  2. lavendercat

lavendercat New Member

what i dont understand is the amount of frenetic arguing between the paleo people and the vegans. :confused:

its seems the posts always start with "well i think you should look properly into XYZ before you say that..."

i think everyone is just doing the best with the information that they have. no-one wants to get sick. there is just alot of conflicting information around. i think people discover it in their own ways. when i was doing low fat vegan, i wasnt on the internet and was isolating myself to the point where i wasnt talking to anyone. so, no-one challenged me, and im glad of that, because i like to find things out in my own way. if i had access to people telling me i was risking severe deficiencies because of my fat-free diet, i would not have listened. people dont like to be told they are wrong, and especially not if they are wrong because the other person REALLY CARES about the state of everyone else's diet. its just interfering i think.

i was on the raw sos site again today and stupidly began to read some of the comments after denise minger's "for vegans" post. she makes it very clear that people are free to make their own choices about their diet. but this was not echoed in the comment section. again you got the vicious battles over vegan/ paleo, and everyone saying that everyone else is going to die of some horrible disease because they are not doing it the right way. ive honestly only ever seen this level of disagreement about religion. it seems like everyone is REALLY CONCERNED about what everyone else is eating, to the point that they JUST CANT STAY SILENT ON THE ISSUE for one second longer.

i did a google search on denise minger and came across a post on mark's daily apple where someone posts that they are really super concerned about denise mingers diet. is she perhaps eating too much fruit ? is she getting enough meat ? is she going to get some horrible deficiencies in the future ? i say MIND YOUR OWN BLOODY BUSINESS !!! just because she has written down what she eats and discusses nutrition in detail, it doesnt mean everyone should then start going into "terribly concerned" mode every 5 minutes about it. i would think out of anyone, she would know what to eat !! its not like she's in mcdonalds every day chowing down cheeseburgers and milkshake !! funnily enough, if she was doing that, she wouldnt get a single comment. its only when you try to improve your diet that everyone becomes terribly concerned. eat any old crap and they will leave you alone.

well if anyone ever does the terribly concerned number on me i avoid them by hiding in my bedroom :p i think there should be a whole lot more "live and let live" in this world. if people want information they can seek it out. its not like there is a lack of information. they will do it in their own time, not when people try to ram it down their throat.

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Indeed, lavender.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The arguing comes from wanting to control people for the sake of commercial gain...........it is that simple. Power creates the truths they can harvest for dollars........now and any other time in our history.

Consider this: Do you continue to live inside a dichotomy, what was and what shall be? The pounding in your brain might be you trying to mesh the two. Cognitive dissonance is when we have to reconcile 'our reality' with the preferred world view variety of reality. We all do it to some degree, some more than others. Today, realize just thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real. Whomever has the power controls the truth. Look at the pic contained here. Who had the power in 1633? Now who has it now? The truth is always a moving target in science, religion, and culture. Few people perceive it that way because they can not fathom it because they have insulated their minds by their beliefs. We need people who push boundaries rather than retreat inside them. Control leads to compliance; autonomy leads to engagement. "Truth" is a fluid concept, at best a misnomer.
    [​IMG]

“It's a fact—everyone is ignorant in some way or another in this life.
    Ignorance is our deepest secret. And it is one of the scariest things out there, because those of us who are most ignorant are also the ones who often don't know it or don't want to admit it.

Here is a quick test:

If you have never changed your mind about some fundamental tenet of your belief, if you have never questioned the basics, and if you have no wish to do so, then you are likely ignorant."

You can not cure ignorant in any aspect of life. Not in science culture or religion. ......you can only council it with wisdom. Religion often gets a pass too frequently in my view. Religion is poetry to some but, most people accept it as prose; a list of historical events of things that never happened the way the words say. When you read it as symbolic metaphor, that is different meaning. Parables are not facts, they are examples of principles in living to control people. Why? Money and power.

caroline, SeaHorse and Lahelada like this.
  5. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Richard Bach quite aptly described the danger of organised religion/doctrine when he invented the Pageite wars . I will try and fjnd the citation.

6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

http://www.law.qmul.ac.uk/pirch/dalinza/Fabula/RBach.htm

"You are creatures of light, we read. From light have you come, to light shall you go, and surrounding you through every step is the light of your infinite being.."

It is somewhere on this page. Some really interesting other quotes too , o beings of light.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014