1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Why can't I fix this friggin' leaky gut?!?!

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by BJK77, Jun 7, 2012.

1. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I'm having one of those days and am just beyond frustrated. I've been on a low-carb paleo / GAPS diet for 2 years now. I've been doing CT since March. My HDL is good @ 106, so well over the 60 Dr. K says he likes to see. My vitamin D is decent @ 66 though it could obviously be a bit better. It was 90 in February and dropped to 66 in May after I decreased my supplementation, so I'm upping it again to 10,000 IU/day. Trigs are good at 45 and hsCRP is even good at 0.05.

I just cannot figure out why I can't fix this leaky gut. I do have hypothyroidism, but not Hashi's. My hormones are all in the toilet, but I'm supplementing with DHEA and Preg. I feel like I'm just ending up with more and more AI diseases (Rosacea, Raynaud's) as time goes on and I can't for the life of me understand why. I am super clean with my diet - total AI protocol (no nuts, seeds, dairy, eggs, chocolate, etc). I have about 2 cups of bone broth per day and only eat organic, grass fed beef and high quality seafood. I don't do any processed/cured meats or conventional meats at all. I also have organic sauerkraut with every meal.

My BF every morning is a combo of beef and seafood, so I have at least 1 serving of seafood daily - wild Alaskan salmon, sardines, shrimp, scallops, etc. My veggies are all organic, but I'm even super limited in those that I can tolerate - pretty much kale, zucchini, small amounts of mushrooms and maybe a bit of cabbage and broccoli here and there.

I follow the leaky gut protocol as much as I can, but I don't tolerate the l-glutamine and I can't take high dose vitamin C due to oxalate issues. Other than that, I'm doing the best I can with it.

What the heck gives?!?! After 2 years I would think I'd be able to tolerate more foods and be in a much better state of health. Continuing to struggle with constipation that started after I went low-carb isn't exactly helping things either.

Anyone see anything glaringly obvious that I'm missing because I'm really not sure what else to add/take away to make some progress here.

2. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

Are you opposed to fixing your hormones? That would help a lot. The constipation is often related to not enough thyroid hormone. That's always my first symptom that I need to increase mine.

3. Joann

Joann New Member

may I ask what does leaky gut mean to you? symptoms? I get that foods are troublesome ...what happens?

I supposedly have IBS

do you take probiotics?

4. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Opposed to fixing my hormones? No. I'm desperate to fix them, but I have yet to find a doctor who understands anything at all about BHRT and unfortunately I can't afford the Dzugan program. I checked into it after reading your wonderful endorsement, but I never expected such a huge, upfront cost. If I could find a doctor who really knows how to work with BHRT I'd be thrilled! I just started seeing a Dr. Kharrazian trained doc who seems to be better when it comes to thyroid issues and I'm hopeful after my last round of testing he'll figure something out, but I don't think he does much with sex hormones.

5. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

Where do you live? I'll scout around on the internet. And what larger cities are close if you live in a small town?

6. tweety

tweety New Member

I see PA on your location, there are some in Pittsburgh if you are near there. PM me if you'd like.

7. Sem

Sem New Member

Grammy! Me too. Who would you recommend in LA? I have had some bad luck with doctors so I am a little leery. Would appreciate recommendations.

8. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

Gonna go look around, Sem.

9. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

10. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

11. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Thanks for helping me look! I'm actually in Eastern PA - closer to Philadelphia or even Harrisburg.

12. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

13. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Thanks so much Colleen! I'm calling right now . . . fingers crossed that it's somewhat more affordable : )

14. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I think Sea Cure whitefish peptides are really helpful for healing leaky gut.

15. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

Let me know!

16. Joann

Joann New Member

hazy, where do you buy this?

I'm having a ruff time right now since taking antibiotics a few weeks ago.

feels like once having leaky gut/ibs symptoms all it takes is a round of antibiotics to put me at square one all over again!

17. Joann

Joann New Member

18. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

19. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Will do Colleen! So far I just talked to a rep about costs/appointments, etc, but it does seem to be a bit more affordable and they offered a good bit more info on how I can get reimbursed through my insurance so I feel a little more comfortable with the initial out-of-pocket costs. Someone is going to call me again on Monday with more details.

20. Joann

Joann New Member