1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Why are the feet so difficult

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by fireforlunch, Jul 22, 2013.

1. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

When I first started in the water last week I only put my feet in and it was pretty difficult so I bailed after 10 minutes.

I thought my whole body would be as painful as the feet but that isn't the case.

I've seen some people say that they didn't put their feet in for 6 months.

Why do they seem to take the cold the worst?

Is it because they are farthest from the heart or is there some other reason?

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Very good question, FFL. Since our feet were made for strolling around in the cold water, feeling for shellfish, you would think they could tolerate the cold best.

I have been CT'ing for over a year and I still keep my toes out of the water, except for the first couple minutes. It might just be a habit, however. When I first started getting the water really cold, just above freezing, I would end up with whitish splotches on the soles of my feet. The calloused areas of my feet would freeze. The arch area was just fine, however. I don't see that freezing effect anymore.

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

4. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Thank you, I remember reading that now but with all of JK's other stuff it slipped through the cracks of my brain :)

5. CTforlife

CTforlife New Member

Your feet and hands can take extra time to adapt to your new environment.

6. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Right...

I am asking why

7. CTforlife

CTforlife New Member

Because you are a warm adapted mammal...

8. Inger

Inger Silver

Yeah.. it goes very slow! But now I recognize I need way less on my feet to keep them warm than the others in this house. Here is stone floor in my parents kitchen and living room. And it is cold! No floor heating. I still walk barefoot all the time. The others need socks and complain of cold feet, even if it is summer. My feet are always warm, or just fine. And I am not even doing much CT except of a short swim in the river every day years round and some face dunks in the morning! But I have been doing it for 2,5 years now.

9. Nathan

Nathan New Member

My feet adapted pretty quickly to being in the water (I do around 52-55F). My problem is they stay cold for hours afterward. I don't CT my hands but they are bad too. Been driving to work with the windows down in the 40s lately and I'm fine except for my hands which get cold and achy and stay cold for a long time after. Just need to stick with it I guess

10. Hemming

Hemming New Member

I have the same problem. My feet are fine but hands are a pain. For me I simply think its partly due to low blood pressure and heart rate which makes it more difficult for the warm blood to get to my hands. Its quite annoying because I feel bad overall even though its only my hands which are cold.

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I never put my hands in the water. Feet are fine - and as it gets colder I do wear two layers of wool socks.

12. Hemming

Hemming New Member

That makes swimming a problem :)

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Well yes but I can't swim in my CT tank its only 100 gallons - and when it gets down into the 40's -30's I'm in it for 15- 30 mins depending on temp.

that said If I had open water - beach or a cold river I'd be jumping on in w/o any other thoughts...

14. Hemming

Hemming New Member

I know, I was just trying to make a joke.

I only have the ocean so it has to be hands and feet in for me.

15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Now that *would* be a hoot. Seeing someone walk into the winter ocean with just a bathing suit and .... are those argyle socks?!?!?

16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Oh... its been that kind of morning for me today - totally missing the humor this morning. I'm now chuckling at the fact I missed that!

Come on Sally - you mean you don't wear socks in the ocean???? I always do

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  17. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Even more so being a guy wearing a bathing suit :)

18. Inger

Inger Silver

I always use socks and gloves too when I am longer in. It is possible to swim with them on too :)
    I would say if big issues with hands and feet then rather take many short dips than one long? That is what I do myself. And then to take care to have warm feet / hands before going in.

19. nicld

nicld Gold

Or their hands on their head to keep them dry :)

20. nicld

nicld Gold

Two pair??? I can barely get the one pair on that I got and they have helped.

I will be quite a site tonight. Wool socks, hat, gloves and spanx for CT.