1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

When you can't afford a rolex . . .

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by BJK77, Feb 10, 2013.

1. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I want to get DH a new watch for Valentine's Day. Obviously the EMF issue has me thinking it's not a good idea to stick a battery next to his skin 24/7, which is how often he wears his watch. So I'm looking for an automatic type, like a Rolex, but that is completely out of my budget!! Any recommendations?

2. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Old school wind-up?

3. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

That's a good idea, the windup watch. I really love the look of a pocket watch on a chain but don't see it often in today's society.

Have been thinking itbis time to go back to a Big Ben windup alarm clock. Had one in high school (a long time ago).

4. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I used to have several of those clocks but of course got rid of them years ago (like the corded phones - I just hit a bunch of thrift shops to buy a couple). Same thing with cookware - I got rid of anything teflon and am going back to old school Corning ware (the old stuff, made to withstand high temperature variations) and old Pyrex (same thing, new stuff is sensitive to thermal shock).

5. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

I have an Quiksilver surfwatch that is powered by motion, no batteries... Check brands that make surfinggears because they often do not use batteries because of pollution in nature :) Way cheaper than Rolex.

6. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Good point, Amazon has lots of "automatic" watches for sale.

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Seiko kinetic.........cheap and high quality. I have two. I collect watches........

8. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had already been looking at a Seiko kinetic on Amazon, so I think I'll pull the trigger now.

9. The Seiko Kinetic is still an electronic quartz watch, is it not? I can't quite see how replacing the battery with a capacitor plus what is essentially a dynamo is going to make much difference in terms of EMF.

If my budget were limited, I'd rather go with something like Steinhart if I wanted a non-EMF, self-winding mechanical watch of decent quality.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  10. caroline

caroline Moderator

In Sydney we have a shop that sells second hand watches - some very high quality and they do have windups and not many people want them these days so prices are good

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Or a used rolex.........I have several of them.

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

yes - I have my husband's that I bought him many years ago for an anniversary present - but it costs a fortune to have fixed - but I love it.

13. I'm using my dad's Caravelle, circa 1960ish, wind up watch. It keeps time beautifully and has a big black face that I can see and read easily. Sometimes you don't have to spend much money. I don't think this thing would be worth more than $2 at a second hand store but it is wonderful for me now! I knew I had saved it for some reason. :)

14. Hope

Hope Gold