1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

When to take meds for thyroid test

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by nuttmegs17, May 11, 2013.

1. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Hey all

I have been taking my meds then waiting 5 to 6 hours before the blood draw. Googling however I'm seeing many suggest taking the blood test fasted or at least before the test ( so no active drug in your system). What's correct? I'm now concerned that all this time my levels may be more off than I think Perhaps my ft3and ft4 are lower than I thought..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

that is how I do it, ---fasting no drugs, unless the doctors asks otherwise.

3. I have always had the blood drawn first thing in the morning, fasted, and no meds before. You want to especially do this if you are on a natural thyroid med. If you are on T3 ONLY the results may differ a bit.

Your levels of FT3 and FT4 are probably lower.

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Interesting Patty - Dzugan wants me to take my meds in the am before getting bloodwork...

I wonder what would happen If I took meds then waited several hrs before getting labs???????

5. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Well you are on armour which has t3 which is incredible short lasting compared to the
    T4. So that's my concern....I think it does matter. If you take t3. Then take the test your t3 is going to look higher than if it has been out of your system for several hours

My new doc whom I saw this morning likes to take the test fasted before meds. It was a great consult and she gave me a script to get an ultrasound on my thyroid to check for nodules. Surprisingly I've never had one but have been curious. Insurance will cover that at least I agreed with almost everything she said Of course she is out of network.

One thing she said that surprised me : she said based on my labs I'm HYPER. I know I'm on too much cytomel and not enough T4 but I don't know that I can categorize myself as hyper based on my TSH bc it's depressed from the cytomel. I want to cut back on the cytomel but not until someone can address my low ft4. She uses over the thyroid meds to treat but I want to stick to scripts she'll work with whatever though. I see my reg doc next sat so am curious what his take will be. I'm so fracken confused though! She is ordering a month long saliva female hormone test which I'm excited about. I'm gonna take a break from the bhrt while I do it and see what's going on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. Grizz

Grizz New Member

FYI,

For those suffering thyroid problems, this is an extremely valuable website & book:
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/site-map/

Also, thyroid problems are the result of iodine deficiency. Many with thyroid problems fully recover when taking the Dr. Brownstein Iodine Protocol. Details here:
    http://tinyurl.com/Iodine-Handout

For women, the thyroid, uterus, ovaries, brain & breasts battle over what little iodine you get in your diet, and one or more of these organs gets shorted resulting in disease... typically painful lumps & bumps in the breasts, PCOS, uterus problems or thyroid problems. This is the reason why women suffer from thyroid problems far more then men do and at earlier ages. Thyroid is usually the first to go from iodine deficiency because it is so highly dependent on iodine. Symptoms are swollen thyroid, nodules, hypothyroid and for those who are also grossly deficient in selenium - hyperthyroid. Doctors should be treating thyroid problems with iodine, but they won't because it will destroy their income. The thyroid can get permanently damaged from iodine deficiency, and in these cases, thyroid meds may be needed for life. Yet the need for iodine is still present for the brain, breasts, uterus & ovaries. Common symptoms of iodine deficiency is Brain Fog, headaches, & feeling stupid. A great new book on this subject is "The Iodine Crises: What you don't know about iodine can ruin your life."

Men also suffer from iodine deficiency, but not nearly so much as women, and much later in life. The brain fog, & thyroid problems are similar for men, followed by prostate & testes problems. In men, libido, hormonal & dysfunction problems fade away with iodine supplements.

List of iodine deficiency symptoms:
    http://tinyurl.com/Iodine-Deficiency

Please join with us at the iodine thread,
    Grizz

Last edited: May 12, 2013