1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

When to expose yourself to the sun..

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by thomas, Apr 15, 2015.

1. thomas

thomas Sun Worshipper

The way I understand it, It's best to get the sun early morning and late afternoon. So you can expose yourself as much as you want(or as much as possible) when the solar angle is below about 40-50 degrees.
    But what about closer to solar noon when the sun gets higher than 50 degrees. I think then you can expose yourself for briefs periods of time to get your vitaminD with uvb. Then when you feel you've got enough, stop.
    Do I get that right?
    To be honest skin cancer still scares me a bit..

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Thomas, you can also use sunburn as a guide. I don't think you should be getting sunburn. That said, my resistance to sunburn is amazing now. I used to burn after an hour of sun even in the winter.

Currently, when laying out in the sun, after about 20-30 minutes I no longer feel desperate for sunshine, so I will get up and do something else, whether still outside, or back in the house. In summer, when the sun is high, I often seek the shade of a tree. I haven't had sunburn for years, nor have I used suntan lotion in years.

How long has it been since you have eaten some fried food from a restaurant? Do you eat lots of seafood? The health of your skin is key.

3. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

The best time is between 8-11 am, afternoon is second best. Exposure times go by how you feel. Some parts of me where I carry excess fat burn easily,my lean parts now tolerate the sun well,in my case arms,face and chest.

4. Penny

Penny New Member

As I understand it, the more inflamed you are, the sooner you will burn - IMHO this is why astaxanthin is so effective against sunburns - it provides squashes inflammation - I think it's synthesized from krill oil - I think you have it right though - morning sun for mitochondria and high noon for vitamin d (UVB)

5. kovita

kovita Gold

interesting observation regarding inflammation and sunburn. This gives me hope, I do not burn this year at all in the sharp spring sun despite of spending while days out in the sun.

nicld likes this.