1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

When staying inside is so addictive...

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Tarun, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Tarun

Tarun New Member

Hi all,

As you're probably well aware, Dr. Jack recommends getting outside as much as possible when the sun is out.

I'm having difficulties implementing this and I was wondering what your experiences have been and if you have any advice to ease the transition.

To keep it simple, let's keep the discussion to leisure time. I find this time is getting completely filled up with
    catching up on my mail and RSS reader
    browsing
    catching up on my twitter timeline
    catching up on my podcasts
    reading e-books
    watching educational YouTube videos.

I work in IT and I feel I constantly have to read and watch videos to keep my skills and knowledge up to date and stay competitive. I fear if I spend this time outside I pay the opportunity cost of losing out on growth in knowledge and skills.

I rarely go outside during work days, on the weekend I do force myself to go outside by taking about 7x 45-minute walks spread out over the weekend. I find being outside very boring without at least a podcast on, and am glad to return back indoors to my cozy workstation.

Have any of you made the transition from indoor junkie to outdoor junkie, without sacrificing your hirability?

2. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm not sure anyone can help you.

Still, do you know that there is now a portable compute platform called a laptop?

Are you actually a penguin?

Sajid Mahmood, Michalis and Jenelle like this.
  3. Michalis

Michalis New Member

Your hire-ability will drop when you will start getting sick. And you will will at some point if you keep doing that, the question is when. I suggest taking it easy with the indoor living and go out and enjoy the sunshine...If you are young and healthy you can afford to be broke...

4. Michalis

Michalis New Member

Dude if you are feeling bored outside without a podcast on you are getting it wrong big time... I don't want to be a dick but i will be.. Go and meet some people, go and chase girls/boys/penguins, climb a mountain, do some workouts, go camping, go to a festival. All the blue light is killing your dopamine.. You need to do radical changes.

You are a human being, not a commodity to market yourself.. Unfortunately this is how people are getting programmed these days..

Go and buy this book and read it under strong sun. It is amazing. And i think it will help you see the matrix your thought is stemming from

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-about-Me-struggle-market-based/dp/1922247375

Enjoy:)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    karenr and drezy like this.
  5. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Buy one of those laptop covers so you can use it outside. Everything you can do inside, you can do outside.

Helio Silva, Tanya and drezy like this.
  6. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I need one of those as well for MacBook Air. If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular one that you recommend?

7. drezy

drezy Gold

Still... You've been a member here since 2017. Either get outside or don't.

caroline likes this.
  8. Tarun

Tarun New Member

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not actually a penguin, but I know a real picture is required. Before submitting this post I spent over 30 minutes browsing my external hd for a picture of me but couldn't find one. Still I could've made one and uploaded it.

Will try the book.

Do have almost no social life.

I didn't know laptop covers stopped the EMF from laptops and thought having an uncovered laptop on your lap outside would be worse for your body and sitting in front of a desktop inside.

9. drezy

drezy Gold

Use a table not your lap
    Use ethernet

If you have no ethernet port on your rig, these are everywhere:
    https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portab...8&qid=1532434046&sr=8-9&keywords=usb+ethernet

Use this if you need a longer cable:
    https://www.amazon.com/UbiGear-4445...34206&sr=1-3&keywords=300+feet+ethernet+cable

You can even find an external usb keyboard if you want to go a bit further. It's what my wife uses.

Based on one of your previous posts you mention your sunset time in July it looks like you may be near 57ÂșN. If that's the case you really better soak in summer sun while you can.

caroline and Michalis like this.
  10. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

I use a cover from these guys: https://philbert.design

It's a good design but anything comparable will do. You can even make a cover out of a cardboard box.

Tanya and drezy like this.
  11. Michalis

Michalis New Member

http://jameslech.co.za/2018/07/23/e...rgeon-understanding-how-nnemf-is-child-abuse/

listen to this outside :) enjoy!

drezy likes this.
  12. caroline

caroline Moderator

I can't believe I just wasted my time reading this thread...........

drezy likes this.
  13. Jenelle

Jenelle Gold

I'm still trying to decide if it's for real or not.

And since when we are allowing penguin members. I have a dog who'd really like to join in the conversation...

If this thread is for real ... here you go ~ I fixed this sentence for you.

drezy and caroline like this.