1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

When Do You learn This Stuff?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Huck, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Huck

Huck Silver

I just watched a khan academy video on the difference between a gene and an allele. In the comments, someone asked when you learned this. One person responded 7th grade and another 10th grade.

Things sure have changed in the last 50 years.

And I still don't know what an allele is. For example, if I am A T at a specific point on a gene, is the allele the position I am looking at, the value, or both values?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

1. An allele is one of two or more alternative forms of a gene that arise by a quantum mechanism/mutation and are found at the same place on a chromosome. Huck its OK not to know. The alleles can be A or T so that what the environment your in will determine which one is expressed and the junk part of the DNA controls the program of expression. That is why calling it junk is crazy. It is the key piece of how DNA works.

3. Huck

Huck Silver

I still don't quite get it. Let's say I get A from mother and T from father. What is the allele?

Is an allele on 1 strand? So if I am AT, is that an allele pair?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

They are both genes with slightly different codes in them.

5. Penny

Penny New Member

Time 23?