1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum. After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum. Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis. Sorry for the Inconvenience, but we hope you understand that this is needed to prevent the community from being ridden with malicious users!

What to do with a goiter?

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by Butters, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

Hm that definitely doesnt help me..
    I know seafood is save, but will it really reverse my issue? That is the question.
    But a far more important question is:

Will a high iodine supplementation cause any hyperthyroidism etc.?
  2. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

3. JanSz

JanSz Silver

https://www.jackkruse.com/about/

Dr. Jack Kruse understands that in order to live pain free, one must take his or her health seriously at every level. His extensive medical training combined with his passion for wellness and nutrition has led to Dr. Kruse’s position as CEO of Optimized Life, a health and wellness company to help people avoid the common healthcare burdens that come with age.
    This includes
    hormone optimization,
    nutrition expertise,

supplementation both pharmaceutical and OTC,
    uses of new anti aging medications like TA-65,
    as well as exercise physiology and exercise optimization for health and longevity.
    Dr. Kruse is also a member of the Age Management Medicine Group (AMMG).
  4. caroline

caroline Moderator

there is a huge iodine thread here somewhere ..... many people ran into serious difficulties supplementing with iodine.

Dr. Kruse is telling you very specifically ....... eat lots of seafood and get lots of sun.
    Sue-UK likes this.
  5. Butters

Butters New Member

Oh thx. This iodine thread is so long. But I will read through. I just started and found some interesting thing:

"If your thyroid swells, it means your body is soaking up the iodide that's it's been lacking and it will usually resolve by itself. Some will increase their dose to push through that symptom while others back off the dose awhile until it balances out again in the thyroid."

That is what I preciseley found. I upped my dose too quickly and suddenly I had a thick feeling in my throat. A little scared I dropped the lugols which I had taken for 5 days on 40mg. I upped it over 3 days. That was my own dumbness. I think the feeling slowly fades away.

But anyway the iodine thread is a general iodine thread and I wanted this thread precisely for my problem.
    And I can not imagine I am the only one here in this forum with an enlarged thyroid.
    So it would also be nice if we would have some people writing who have an enlarged thyroid, too. Maybe we have some, who have reversed it and can talk about their steps.
    The whole discussion about Dr. Jack doesnt help and the focus on the topic is fading. We should not forget he isnt allowed to give any medical advise here, so his answers will always be not direct.

I will summarize the important things I picked up:

-seafood is the best natural iodine source, but to meet 150-200µg per day you will have to eat 200-300g of iodine rich fish or shellfish per day in general
    For example:

mackerel raw- 100g / 85µg iodine
    mackerel smoked - 100g / 46µg iodine
    herring 100g/35µg
    mussels cooked - 100g/140µg iodine
    cod liver canned - 100g/500µg iodine

Mackerel raw is the highest (despite of cod liver) of all fish. Mussels are better and prawns I found too. Cod liver is excellent. I eat canned cod liver so that is no problem.
    But we have to admit that even to meet 150-200µg per day one have to eat a lot of fish. You have to eat mussels, cod liver or prawns to get the amount for a normal thyroid.

The more hallides we eat, the more iodine we need to meet. (that was on purpose :D )

Question is: Can I reverse that enlarged thyroid that just with the general requirement meeting of a normal thyroid? Is the 200µg only for the thyroid in this state or is the body even deficient?

I dont see lugols as a permanent supplement. In my view I would only use it until I would have reversed the issue.
  6. Inger

Inger Silver

Alex it is not hard at all to get more than enough iodine through food, also very cheap food :) Look;
    Kabeljau (Cod) has 229 ug / 100 grams
    Alaska Seelachs (Pollock) has 100-260 ug / 100grams
    Oysters also have quite a bit, 73 ug / 100 grams

I would not eat too much fish liver as you might get too much vit A if you eat it all the time....

I also eat fresh cooked mussels all the time now, several times / week, as they are in season and really cheap, and I like them very much :) I buy them from Aldi or Lidl, 1 kg cost about 2,20 euro :)
    1 kg frozen Pollock cost around 4,50 euro, you get it from Lidl or Aldi too. It is my regular budget food when I am out of money..lol

So to eat 400 grams of these fishes a day would give you around 800 ug / day!
    I can even eat that amount easily in one meal..lol it is not that much :)

If I were you I would start with that, maybe add some seaweed in here and there (be careful to not add too much tho, or you might get heart palps like I did ;)...)

If you still want to additionally supplement idone I would just use a few drops on my skin once in a while....

But it is really easy to get enough iodine through diet :)
    caroline likes this.
  7. Inger

Inger Silver

when you take care to eat lots of seafood you will get so many other benefits too! Think about all the Zink, Selenium, Magnesium... and other great things that are in them!
    A win-win situation :)
    caroline likes this.
  8. JanSz

JanSz Silver

9. Butters

Butters New Member

Thx, Inger. So that white fish has more iodine instead of DHA. I didnt know that.
    There are still things to learn. And you are right with the co-factors from fish.
    When taking lugols it is recommended that one take these cofactors in equal quantity, so I dont forget that.

JanSz I will read that. Thx too.
    Nicolaj Sølvsten likes this.
  10. Nicolaj Sølvsten

Nicolaj Sølvsten New Member

I like you butters, good luck!