1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What to consider going from high north to a bit south of the equator

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Peertje80, May 26, 2015.

1. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

In November I'll be visiting Brasil for 2 weeks. In preparation I'm of course going to read Jet leg rx. I'm sort of used to jet leg, flying to Japan forth and back. But I've never went across the equator. Messing up not only time but season as well. 2 months ago I would not have considered asking but...

I'm wondering what I should prepare for? How much time would it take to get in sink with light and season? For instance should I stick to my high fat low carb winter diet? Or can I eat local? And with respect to light... would it be safe to be out in the sun at midday for me (red head, albino skinned) or should I use sunscreen again? What times are safe? Can I exercises or would this mess me up even worse? Is there maybe something I'm forgetting in my preparation that has to do being on the south side? Does somebody have experience going from far north to south?

Much appreciated

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

more water and beware of the decrease in the time needed in the sun. DHA in tissues will extend sunning abilities

Peertje80 likes this.
  3. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

So drink more then usual (water of course). And decrease time needed... means don't stay out in sun too long. Keep eating stuff from the ocean.

Anything else to consider? Should I go for carbs or stick with winter diet?

4. nicld

nicld Gold

I can second Jacks statement about not staying in the sun too long. We went to Costa Rica in April and did pretty good about minding the time in the sun until last full day. Spent a little too much time and I ended up getting a bit pink (hubby got real red).

Peertje80 likes this.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Ubi 15 has some pearls about things...........in this thread.

6. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

Thank goodness... it is raining = reading :)

7. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

Costa Rica? Nice :) O... yes I know that kind of red. We met before. It's a real pain. Ok I will run to shades at noon. My hubby probably will feel right at home. He is second generation Dutch born Indonesian. He will be pitch black in matter of minutes. Not jealous at all:rolleyes: