1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What time do you wake up and go to sleep?

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by ScottishEmma, Jul 8, 2017.

1. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

I was in bed at 7pm yesterday but the sun doesn't set here until 9.50pm
    seanb4 likes this.
  2. Ted

Ted New Member

Sorry, I got the military time wrong. Sunset is 8:20 pm.
  3. Tarun

Tarun New Member

Assuming wake up at sun rise or earlier (to be as the sphinx), how many hours before or after sunset is the ideal bedtime? I always thought listening to T.S. Wiley that going to bed right after watching the sun set would be optimal.
  4. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

That sounds like good advice. I go to bed so early because I'm still making up for massive sleep deprivation from my children :)
  5. AndrewLanghorn

AndrewLanghorn New Member

My gut feeling and intuition is telling me I should be in bed between 9 and 10pm and awake for 4 - 5am, however in reality I'm struggling to engineer my life to get in bed before 12/1.20am and then the artificial alarm goes off at 6.30 and I hit snooze until around 8pm and kick myself every single day, reach for caffeine, nicotine and kratom until I start to be awake and functioning by 10am o_O
  6. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

Ouch! Yep, sounds less than ideal.

I guess you could slowly migrate towards an earlier bedtime? I trained myself to get up at 5am without an alarm. It's second nature now but was tough as fuck to begin with...
    AndrewLanghorn likes this.
  7. AndrewLanghorn

Yeah, I can imagine. And I have done this in the past, but with the help of a dawn alarm which kind of wakes you up with a soft, more natural looking light and no sound. I did it when learning QiGong and practicing that before bed, being strict with myself getting to bed before 10pm, and wearing blue light blocking glasses, and it seemed easy at that stage in my life. But due to life circumstances, it all got knocked on it's head, and I've never been able to get myself back to that place since.

How did you personally train yourself to migrate to an earlier bed time?
  8. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

I had two children! Hahaha. Seriously, neither of my kids slept for the first two years and it just about fucking killed me. Since then I've gone to bed as early as I could to make up for the deprivation. I know you have kids so you know what I mean. Unless you had sleepers...

I think it was easier for me to work on the early starts then the night time naturally fell into place because I was knackered. So I'd maybe suggest that way of approaching it.
  9. AndrewLanghorn

Ahhhhh haha, yeah, I sure know this feeling. And you're right actually, thinking back, it was when my kids were younger that I think I was probably wiped out, and my ex-wife and I at that time were not getting along, so we didn't really spend much time together, so just getting to bed early was easier. Good point!

Thank you for sharing, I think I will make my effort to wake up earlier as the focus, so then hopefully it'll naturally encourage me to sleep earlier...makes a lot of sense.
    ScottishEmma likes this.
  10. BigSkinny

BigSkinny New Member

Being up at "dawn" is kind of useless for me as the sun isn't always visible at dawn. Overcast with mountains in the way til around 7 or so. Is any time between dawn and UV, around 0830, just as beneficial for me? I use my UVEX glasses all day indoors and for the drive home after taking in the sunset. I'm ready to crash around 930. Is there value at watching the sunset as well?
  11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Me and my son are in Mexico now.......went to bed last night at 8PM and woke up at 7:15 AM. No lunch or inner. We spent 9 hours in the sun. Shocked him..............Teach your kids. They wont believe you until you drag their asses too a cenote and UV light at the 20N.
  12. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

Same for me. Most days are 100% cloud cover. Perfectly worth it. Do it anyway. You're still getting light. And really, what's the alternative? Stay inside because it's not worth it? Nah. :)
    BigSkinny and caroline like this.
  13. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Dopamine lift for me on an early morning with cloud cover. I use a prism to look at the skyline just above the trees. Without one it might look dismal, but my camera vision is deceiving me ... The light split through the prism indicates the colour of photons my SCN and mitochondria sense, and I know they are getting unseen IR (and later UV). The light split at the top of, and through the gaps of the foliage on the trees, is amazing. :)
    caroline and Inger like this.
  14. Ted

Ted New Member

Nice! Just because we can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.
  15. BigSkinny

BigSkinny New Member

My kids were tripping out on me for going to the zoo and walking the hills at mid day. They know my natural aversion to mid day sun! They are slowly seeing the things I'm doing and I see small changes on the rise in them. Just gotta get my wife on board.
    drezy likes this.
  16. Penny

Penny New Member

Brilliant! I was just wondering if Dr. K ever said when the UV actually starts up in the morning? Ballpark, of course:)
  17. drezy

drezy Gold

He will never really say because it depends on your latitude and varies during the year.
    Penny likes this.
  18. Penny

Penny New Member

Maybe I'll switch to amber light at night:)

https://vector.childrenshospital.org/2015/03/melanopsin-lighting-and-you/

IpRGCs can respond to light independently of the rods and cones that handle image vision and, unlike those cells, message the brain directly. Each ipRGC has some 10,000 melanopsin molecules that capture light. (Interestingly, melanopsin more closely resembles photosensitive molecules found in flies and squid than those in humans and other mammals.)

IpRGCs can signal the brain for sustained periods—hours long—in contrast to the rapid-shutter responses typical of other cells in the retina. The researchers’ first question was: why? They stimulated ipRGCs from the mouse retina in a dish with pulses of light and measured their electrical output. They found a system exquisitely tuned to the “big picture” of light.

First, once they’re activated, melanopsin molecules tend to stay active. If you glance out the window on a sunny day, melanopsin molecules activated during that glance continue to signal for minutes afterward, even in darkness. Another glance activates additional molecules. The more melanopsin molecules that get activated, the stronger the signals that ipRGCs send to your brain. “Since melanopsin adds up the amount of light you see, brief exposures can give very long-lasting effects,” says Do.

IpRGCs tally photons over many minutes in order to generate signals that reflect the overall light level. “The brain uses these signals to synchronize its internal clock with local time,” says Do. “If ipRGCs responded to momentary changes in light level—from a flash of lightning or a passing cloud—their signals would fluctuate and push the clock to be constantly set and reset, potentially making its reading unclear.”

A flash of amber
    And here’s where color comes in. Each melanopsin molecule is a three-way switch that is flipped by light. The switch has two “off” positions that keep the cell silent and one “on,” activated position. Each “off” position is pushed to the “on” position by a different hue of light (specifically, cyan and violet). But since these hues are found in practically all common light sources, melanopsin and ipRGCs can respond to a broad range of illumination conditions, provided the light is bright enough.

Indeed, when Emanuel tried spectra from multiple common light sources—fluorescent lights, LED lights, mercury lamps, xenon (in car headlights), sunlight, sunset—he saw that they produced very similar melanopsin activity. The cyan and violet within all of these spectra dominated the ipRGCs’ responses.

With most spectra of light, the cell will keep signaling the brain long after the light source is gone. But there’s one hue with a different effect: amber. Amber light activates the cells while it’s on, but when it’s off, the cell’s activity goes off too. What’s more, an ipRGC that is activated by sunlight—and would ordinarily remain activated for many minutes of subsequent darkness—can be silenced by giving a pulse of amber light.

Ever since melanopsin’s discovery, people had speculated it was a simple off/on switch. But this couldn’t account for all its capabilities. “Melanopsin functions with much greater flexibility than we had anticipated,” says Do. “This degree of flexibility from a single molecule is impressive.”

So maybe I was on to something, typing my graduate school papers on an amber screen. Using amber lights at night could control ipRGCs’ tendency to keep signaling the brain afterward, throwing off people’s circadian clock and causing insomnia. “In a way, amber is an innocuous source of lighting,” says Do.
    Brent Patrick and BigSkinny like this.
  19. Penny

Penny New Member

Yes, this indicates that it is time for prolactin to surge and for you to make melatonin - the more time you spend out there, the better, because it's a
    Do the leptin reset:) And don't eat after 5:00P.M. - and watch the sunset and then go to bed with no artificial light...