1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What percentage of adults have BAT?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by donkjellberg, Apr 18, 2012.

1. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

This has been bothering me for a while. I do not know if I have any BAT nor do I know what the percentage of the adult population BAT is.

I am wondering this because when I do CT, there is no way to tell if I am activating BAT or not.

I believe BAT can be recruited but do you have to have some already in order to recruit? I usually begin to shiver some time in the course of cold exposure and wonder if this is due to inability of BAT or just my body compensating for heat loss.

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Donkjellberg, how about taking your temperature? For the first time, I checked my oral temps several times around my CT bath yesterday. After getting in the water, my temp started to raise, and raise even higher after 20 minutes. I did shiver a little bit near the end of my 45 min bath. After getting out, my temp dropped down quite a bit, and I started to shiver. So I think my BAT was keeping me warm during the bath, but was insufficient for afterwards. Or the increase in my skin temp told the BAT to shut down.

3. chocolate

chocolate Silver

I read an article and the larger you are the less you have. But you can absolutely make it. I got stiff as a robot and turned a corner, once overnight. My head was getting so hot, not like a fever, like a radiator for a few days before and I dreaded eating. Now I can give or take eating at night and sleep fine.

4. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

@ Nonchalant: I have a tympanic membrane thermometer and will use that and to see how it works. It will be hard to get a reading when I am shivering post CT, LoL.

@ chocolate: My BMI is 23 but I was larger two years ago before I lost 130 pounds. I don't know how that affects BAT loss or accumulation. More research needs to be done in this area. If cold for weight loss takes off publicly, more will be.

5. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

Based on everything i've read, I think most if not all adults have *some*. But maybe if you have a very small amt, you need to take this extra slow.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

better question is this......as you are warm adapt how much BAT do you lose? And does that make it harder to convert WAT to BAT? tune in Saturday to find out.

7. Clabbergirl

Clabbergirl New Member

Thank you for asking this. I've wondered also because I've been overweight most of my life, and obese during the last 10. I can't imagine I have much BAT at all, yet I don't shiver. Body temp increases indicate BAT functioning to keep the body warm?

8. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Stop teasing!

This question is also stirring my mind. Two years ago my BMI topped out at a whopping 40.3! I always found myself sweating and know my body was adapting to its environment. If my body decreased BAT as a result, that I do not know. If it did, then perhaps it can again with new environmental influences.

I have not seen any research on the fluctuations associated with BAT during a lifetime. Since I returned to graduate school, I find myself routinely thinking of interesting questions like this. Observations can be quite easy with the right tools . . .

9. AKMan

AKMan New Member

From all I've read, the way to recruit new BAT is to spend as much time as possible, minimally clothed, below the thermoneutral zone, which is about 72 degrees, and the point where shivering kicks in, 50 degrees or so.

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Well, I think mosts scientists assumed adults had zero BAT, until it started showing up in CAT scans. So probably no research on BAT fluctuations, at least none that is completed. I just love this cutting edge stuff! :)

11. AKMan

AKMan New Member

From http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/96/8/2450.short :

"Conclusions: BAT is present in supraclavicular fat, regardless of PET status. BAT is highly prevalent in adult humans, and its abundance determines PET status."

Go to Google Scholar, type in Brown Adipose Tissue in Humans, then click the date button and only pick studies from 2011 and newer--you will be amazed!

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=Brown+adipose+in+humans&btnG=Search&as_sdt=1%2C2&as_ylo=2011&as_vis=0

12. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Thank you AKMan. I just started reading some of chocolate's posted articles on BAT and my attitude is changing! I will have to look for the full article from your first listing above. I opened up a tab with the second. That will probably keep me busy going back and forth between my schoolwork assignments and personal interests.

Another thing I have noticed, some of the PhDs I have talked to are not too familiar with epigenetics. That I need to study more in general too.

13. I'm eager to figure this out too. I lost a significant amount of weight too (more than you!) and had been overweight from birth. I also seem to be struggling with the pilot light coming on. I don't think I'm heating up. Recently I've seen doc say that spot icing bat areas will help, so I'm going to do more of that.

I am trying to figure out how to get a monthly MRI so I can try and see my bat and measure if it increases. Perhaps I'll look for a government grant!

14. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Yeah, it takes a while to get the pilot light going. At least we have candles and can enjoy the best part . . . the journey.

15. Pardus

Pardus New Member

I agree. I think we should all just give it some more time.

It's been said before, but pretty much all of us have spent most of our lives being warm-adapted and mismatched...

Fixing years of neolithic lifestyle and mismatches is definitely going to take some time. (maybe even years?)

Unfortunately, I have to admit that I'm guilty of being impatient myself... I keep reading about the ridiculous benefits of being cold adapted, and I can't help but get excited and impatient! I want it now lol

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

100% but that is not the important factor. We discussed the important factors in the Webinar.

17. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

A brain MRI for me in CO a couple of years ago was 1K if I hadnt had insurance.

18. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

The webinar was great. A take away was how BAT is increased by using CT in those who don't possess good body comp, like me. If you are fat, as I am, you have too much WAT and need CT to kill WAT and increase BAT. I don't know if they are going to release the webinar but it is a must have for serious CTers. 90 minutes of gold and q&a.