1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What is redox

Discussion in 'Redox Rx' started by shiran, Sep 14, 2017.

1. shiran

shiran Curious

how can I explain to someone in the simplest way that is redox?
    Simple easy words to understand
    Thanks
    Billybats likes this.
  2. kris90

kris90 New Member

Are you looking for what redox itself means, or redox potential?

Redox (as in redox reaction) = reduction/oxidation -> when something loses an electron = oxidation, when something gains an electron = reduction

Redox potential is the ability to receive/donate an electron. When we refer to a high redox potential on this site, it means you have a lot of electrons in your cells to donate to oxygen. That's why a low redox = dehydration, hypoxia, inflammation, etc.
    SlamSlask, Alex97232, CDawn15 and 4 others like this.
  3. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Hi Shiran,

I was just about to look up redox.

Hello Kris and how are you doing, thank you for the explanation. Now I am going to look up again how to improve my redox, see if I missed anything.
    shiran likes this.
  4. shiran

shiran Curious

Hi kris thanks for your great explanation I understand it .
    So if Im explaining it to a person in Hebrew The redox reaction is clear
    But the redox potential is a little difficult to explain ....
    Can I explain it this way
    A high redox means You have a lot of " electric power " in your cell that came from the exposure to the sun...
    looking for very simple words..
    Thanks

I'm going to read again the redox Blog and https://www.jackkruse.com/guest-physician-blog-1-the-power-of-uv-light/
  5. kris90

kris90 New Member

I would word it as: "a lot of electric potential" rather than "electric power". Sunlight "excites" electrons. Electrons by themselves are in the ground state, until they become excited. Ground state electron = electric potential. Excited state electron = electric power, because it carries the power of the photon.

Sunlight DOES increase redox, because it splits water into negative/positive (i.e. the EZ). This "frees" electrons, and those electrons as discussed above carry electric potential, and are used in redox reactions once they become "excited".
  6. shiran

shiran Curious

Perfect
    Thanks for your explanation Kris I appreciate it a lot
    Alex97232 and kris90 like this.