1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What is an electro magnetic field?

Discussion in 'Educating Doctors' started by Jack Kruse, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/

Key points:
    The electromagnetic spectrum encompasses both natural and human-made sources of electromagnetic fields.
    Frequency and wavelength characterise an electromagnetic field. In an electromagnetic wave, these two characteristics are directly related to each other: the higher the frequency the shorter the wavelength.
    Ionizing radiation such as X-ray and gamma-rays consists of photons which carry sufficient energy to break molecular bonds. Photons of electromagnetic waves at power and radio frequencies have much lower energy that do not have this ability.
    Electric fields exist whenever charge is present and are measured in volts per metre (V/m). Magnetic fields arise from current flow. Their flux densities are measured in microtesla (µT) or millitesla (mT).
    At radio and microwave frequencies, electric and magnetic fields are considered together as the two components of an electromagnetic wave. Power density, measured in watts per square metre (W/m2), describes the intensity of these fields.
    Low frequency and high frequency electromagnetic waves affect the human body in different ways.
    Electrical power supplies and appliances are the most common sources of low frequency electric and magnetic fields in our living environment. Everyday sources of radiofrequency electromagnetic fields are telecommunications, broadcasting antennas and microwave ovens.

2. Arcole

Arcole New Member

I finally bought a Trifield 1000 EX meter and found out that I have been working every single day for the past 5 years in a magnetic field of easily between 10-25 mG constantly, peaking to off the scale whenever I got too close to my adding machine calculator or the base station radio I use. Oh dear Heaven! I have moved those items as far from my work area as possible so that now my field reads in the "safe" zone. I also went through an elimination process of unplugging and replugging each item as well to be sure it was indeed those two pieces of equipment causing the trouble. I can limit my use of them but unfortunately I cannot do away with them entirely.

My question is two-fold. These items have very high magnetic fields but the electric field and the RF field are very low on them. Is that unusual?

Also, what kind of shielding is advisable to enable me to use the calculator without frying my circuitry? I remembered reading in one of the blogs that magnetic fields are the worst offenders. My laptop also read off the scale at home. Will a draping shield cloth or gloves help with the magnetic portion of using these items since the electric portion (at least on the calculator and radio) isn't bad?

I have been so on the bubble with getting my protocols to come together lately. I am sincerely hoping that the elimination of this magnetic field will be the tipping point that puts me squarely on the positive side!

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Hi Arcole. Can you ground them?

http://www.lessemf.com/fabric.html (search for the word "prong".)

Perhaps the alligator clip can ground them? Hopefully it won't burst into flames or nuttin...
    I use one of those to ground my laptop computer.

4. Arcole

Arcole New Member

Hey, @nonchalant! Just spoke to the guys at LessEMF and they said grounding would not help with the magnetic field issue. Only metal shielding stops magnetic fields. So I have moved the offending equipement far enough away so that my personal field is okay.

I do wonder just how much effect on my body that level of exposure to the higher magnetic field has had and how long it will take to know if moving these things has helped me. The rest of my home and workspace is pretty clear. I can't use my laptop at home without some major reworking in my workstation, but I do most of my typing on a battery powered plain text writer called an AlphaSmart 3000 which gives off NO offending readings. So the laptop hasn't been an issue. The biggest field influences on me have been the calculator and radio at work.

Anybody have any practical results with cleaning up their magnetic fields?