1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What is 500 cal like on HCG?

Discussion in 'HCG Protocol' started by AKMan, Apr 12, 2012.

1. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I know almost nothing about HCG except you eat 500 cal a day for a while without feeling hungry or losing muscle.

For you that have done it, have you ever tried 500 cal/day without the HCG? What was the difference?

The reason I'm asking, when I was almost 100lbs heavier, I was doing Primal Blueprint and lost most of the weight over a year. During that time, I toyed with fasting and calorie restriction. If I ate less than 1000 calories a day, I would actually gain weight--probably water weight from stress?--and I'd feel like total crap and couldn't exercsie at all after a day or two. I could IF daily, skipping breakfast, but couldn't go 36-48 hours without feeling really bad.

Anyway, now I'm down to 168lbs from 250lbs (I'm a 5'10/46yo/m) I have been CT'ing since Feb. I find now I can restrict calories to well under 1000 for several days in a row and throw in a 48 hour fast and feel great. It doesn't effect workout or mood. I only have like 10lbs to lose, but calorie restricting on CT is getting me there fast.

I'm wondering if I'm experiencing HCG-like results from CT+calorie restriction.

Thanks

2. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Hi AKMan,

I am not starving on 500 calories a day while using pharmaceutical grade HCG. I did subcutaneous shots the first time I did it and am now doing sublingual drops. The only time I was hungry doing HCG was when I tried homeopathic drops. They just didn't work for me and I was starving and stopped after 2 weeks. I did lose 10 lbs in those 2 weeks, but couldn't face staying on it that hungry.

Hopefully Colleen will chime in here. She is a moderator on an HCG Forum.

Typically I lose about 7-10 lbs the first week and then average about .5 lbs a day. When one is closer to their goal weight I think the losses are less.

Don't know if I answered you question???

3. Croak

Croak New Member

Lots of people do it with homeopathic "HCG", which IMNSHO really is doing it without HCG.

Personally, my CT results are around the low end of my prescription HCG results (I did one 40 day round, dropped 30 pounds, then started the Leptin Reset, where I've lost another 30 and counting). Early days of HCG were about a pound a day, stalls in the middle, then about .5 to .2 a day until the end, and I was dead strict on the Simeons diet/portions.

Long story short, if I had started the LR/CT in November instead of a round of HCG, I suspect I'd be within a few pounds of the same weight I am at now, with a lot less hassle, and be that much healthier to boot.

What hassle, you ask? Injections, the exactitude of the portions and the narrowness of what was allowed, the HCG expense, the gallons of water and associated trips to the head, and the ever-present worry that "this just ain't natural for a male". That, and I was indeed hungry, a lot. Not crippling hunger, but a near-constant gnawing, no matter how I adjusted the dosage (sorry Colleen, but IMHO it just doesn't work as well at reducing hunger in a male, even though we tend to lose more weight, faster).

Willpower got me through it more than hormones. I won't do it again, and I won't recommend it to anyone now that I know about the LRx and CT. That said, it did lead me to Kruse via the HCG community, so I'm thankful for that, as well as the 30 pounds that showed me it could be done (I'm 47, never deliberately
    dieted a day in my life prior to HCG).

4. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I'm curious, because I only vaugely know how the HCG thing works...how do people not just automatically pile all the weight back on after a round of HCG? If you're spending 40 days eating 500 calories a day then go back to normal eating, how does your body not think "OMFG, MUST STORE ALL THE CALORIES FOR THE NEXT FAMINE!!!" Clearly it works for some people, but do you have to keep doing never-ending rounds of HCG to keep the weight off?

5. Croak

Croak New Member

It's supposed to "reset" your h'thalmus to your new set weight. The post-injection phase is fairly regimented as well (Phase 3 is very low carb), and indeed, a lot of people see the wheels start falling off in this period, for various reasons. And after Phase 3, many just go right back to a SAD.

That said, a lot of people "stabilize" within a few pounds of last injection weight and are able to stay there. It works, and like I mentioned above, that first round has a motivating power that is far beyond its actual clinical value...that is not to be scoffed at.

But I honestly believe that the LR/Paleo/CT way is superior in every respect except those early ultra-rapid losses which may or may not be sustainable.

6. rocketmom

rocketmom New Member

It works. It is amazing how quickly you will lose weight. The losses keep you going. It is the hardest thing I have ever done. This diet is not for the "faint of heart" and it seriously impacts you and those around you with the strictness of the plan. Going to social events and out to dinner is near impossible unless you eat prior to going and just sip on water(which is what I do, my husband loves to dine out). It gets boring and the limitations of allowed foods is a killer if you don't like some of the foods. When I finish this round, I am done. I will do the paleo/LRx which helped me stabilize and even lose in P3/4 the maintenance rounds. I am also considering the JUDDD plan that seems to be working for many members of another group I am on.

dennise

7. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

I've seen too many men do this with no hunger to believe it doesn't work as well for a male, Croak. That said, there are a few people--male AND female--who continue to have hunger or weakness on the protocol. When I hear about that, I tell them to stop immediately because without hcg they are on a starvation diet.

Here's where hcg differs from anything I've ever done, AK (and I've done EVERYTHING) and that's the fact that it takes the fat from where you're storing it. For me that meant the hips and thighs. For those who carry it in their belly, it comes from there. HOWEVER, if there is hunger, the fat comes from normal fat stores and does not reshape right. I've had a couple of rounds where I had to tweak the dose because of hunger and the difference in myself was very pronounced. I would start to lose in my face and neck and begin to look gaunt. It's amazing how different it is.

Also on those 500 calories there is no hunger when the dose is right. You feel very "up" and energetic. Very satisfied with your food. I absolutely love the protocol. I still recommend it to everyone. Women don't seem to drop weight fast with CT like you men do. I don't know what that means other than maybe our hormonal issues are preventing the losses. But hcg always works quickly. A woman can pretty much count on at least 20 pounds gone in 40 days, often more like 25-28. It's also the EASIEST diet I've ever done because it really works and the weight just falls off. I actually like the boredom because it helps break food addictions and it allows people to see underlying food intolerances that led to their chronic obesity in the first place.

Hope that answers your questions. :)

8. MaggieC

MaggieC New Member

Well done as usual Colleen!

9. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I did two rounds of HHCG starting last June with 6 weeks in between doing LRX. I dropped a few pounds first time after HHCG and I was down 12 pounds doing reset in Fall. I've continued the reset format this Spring and added CT in February. I'm down a few more pounds but obviously I look different over the last few months because I have friends who see me every 3 weeks tell me I look so much smaller! I try to not get to hung up with scale number. I've considered another short round to get another 15 lbs off but can't decide. I'm really comfortable with doing the reset. The only problem is I've been on reset since late October and really can't tell if I'm LS or not!