1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What has been your biggest setback on the road to optimal? How did you overcome it?

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Dan in Utah, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Dan in Utah

Dan in Utah New Member

Injury? Funky labs? Hormones? Ridicule from the peanut gallery? Neolithic thoughts messing with your paleolithic genes? Please share...

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Besides my own Stupidity and refusing to do labs the first 3mths, and then not doing the most impt lab for me (GI FX) ... that would have to parasites... they've been holding me back for about 10yrs!

3. MartiD

MartiD New Member

Mine has been traveling. I started HCG in June 2011 and after second round and starting LeptinRX I was in NYC for a long weekend with family so timing of food and BAB was messed up. I gained 3 lbs but had it off in 3 days after picking up on reset. We just returned from Mexico last week and I indulged in a few desserts and few margaritas and came back with an extra 6 lbs (mostly fluid) but already down 4 of those 6. So for me I think I am glad to be able to have those setbacks and overcome them so quickly. I certainly couldn't have done that a year before!

4. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

Traveling makes me gain, too, but I have learned to pack my george foreman, some frozen meat, coconut oil, etc. in my carry-on bag, and that helps me get BAB in when I'm on the move.

The biggest things for me have been...

1. Mourning the loss of food (carrot cake and bavarian cream donuts for some reason...)

2. Dealing with negative, sometimes hostile and always judgemental, feedback from family and friends.

3. Unveiling thyroid/adrenal/hormone issues that are taking FOREVER to resolve because of CW doctors that waste my time/money (Slowly but surely getting there through labs and my own n=1 experiment).

4. Getting over the scale and listening to my body.

5. Pushing through my own dogma to do things like CT and shutting down the lights at night.

However, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my diet of animal fats and proteins. It doesn't get any better, and this way of life hardly feels like a diet or a sacrifice. Who can miss bread when there is bacon and t-bones on your plate?

5. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

Mandie, that negative feedback is all in the attitude. Don't be defensive. If someone comes at you with negative comments, LAUGH at them. Lift your eyebrow and smile and say "You just don't know as much about it as I do. I've studied all this extensively and I'm taking charge of my health. You should do the same." THAT will shut them up. LOL

I get no negative feedback because I'M the expert and I make sure they know it by my attitude. Really, attitude about this is everything. Try it! :)

6. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

Thanks, Grammy. Yes, I've learned to be more assertive in how I live my life. It was bad last Aug. at the state fair, and I have had friends make comments here and there...but really I've decided I'm in charge of me. End of story. I used to talk about it a lot, but now I kind of keep to myself unless someone asks. I really believe the old adage, "my body is a temple," and nobody is forcing me to eat anything I don't want to and nobody is allowed to stress me out or make me feel inferior without my consent.

I love the paleo lifestyle though, and it always makes me happy when I can have friends/family over and they can feast on all the meat I serve up. It makes going to other people's houses lame because their meat servings are like 3 oz. and then they cram themselves FULL of starches and garbage. My, how things change!

7. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Bingeing. Cravings.

I tried to stick to a low fat, high whole grain, low sugar diet for a LOOOOONG time, and did, in between the daily binges.

I embraced fat, protein, and traditional foods, & tried to stick to WAP for three years, and did, in between the several-times-a-week binges.

I tried to kick grains & stick to primal, and did, in between the weekly binges.

I tried to double my breakfast size & stick to the LR, and did, in between the monthly binges. Then one day, a few months in, it stuck. I haven't binged since. No cravings. Miracle.

Each of those changes increased fat, increased morning protein, and decreased wheat & sugar. Each of them made a big dent in my cravings at first. But over time, the cravings would spin out of control again, and I'd be wallowing again. The last change is the only one that has *decreased* cravings *over time*, and finally stopped the bingeing, with no sign of increasing problems again over time.

Biggest thing I can say for those whose obstacle to sticking to the diet is a disease that prevents you from sticking to the diet is to eat the BAB. Don't hold out. Increase it if the binges are not dead yet. Increase the fat, too. Just keep doing it, just keep dusting off and doing it again and again ... and eventually, you will win. You will be able to stick to the diet, and start reaping all the benefits of it!

8. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Oh, and excuses. RR helped me a lot with that. At first there was a lot of excuse-making.

- I will NEVER cook more than one meal/day.

- I will NEVER cook seven days a week.

- I can't have breakfast ready w/i 30m; I must shower/pray/meditate/get my quiet time/etc.

- I can't get 5hrs between bkfst & lunch; i have XYZ excuse.

- I can't stop eating 4hrs before dinner; I will starve.

- I will be bored to death of eggs & sausage.

- I have too many children / too much to do / too little energy to cook my meals.

blah blah blah blah blah

Question is, do I want optimal, or not? I will re-arrange my schedule, and no, these changes (most of them) won't be forever. I can re-evaluate in a month/year if needed.

9. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

MamaGrok, I struggled with binges all my life, too. I can totally relate to your struggle. Fat and protein makes it easy after years of living on Dt. Coke, special k cereal, low-fat yogurt, chicken breasts and wheat thins! (What a shame I wasted all those years tracking calories, running marathons, starving and ultimately binging...never to lose a single pound).

I LOVE THIS WOL!

10. quelsen

quelsen New Member

Lack of knowledge. At some point you have to accept that your best IS good enough and that it isnt something you are doing but rather something you dont currently know you are not doing.

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Small minded people

12. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

Nah, Doc, they haven't set you back any. You've bowled right over them. :)

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

colleen I told all the people who helped do my surgery today Factor X........they were shocked and all said it made way too much sense.

14. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

you are being downright cruel to us. :(

15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Colleen, he's just getting revved up again. :)

Gotta love it.

16. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Colleen, he's an attention junkie, accept it. ;) It comes with the brilliant/mad scientist gig. Unless you're an absent-minded professor, different type.

Yes, very true. patience, trust, we will get there, but maybe not yet. (MAYBE b/c the attention junkie hasn't told us b/c he has to sell his book, lol.) :D

17. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

We will still buy his book. :) Look at all Mark tells on his MDA. Free ebooks and recipes. That just revs up to want the entire thing. Which is why many publisher post the first chapter of books or give away free ones of books that are older. My publisher often gives away stuff. It works!

18. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Definitely. The more we know, the more we'll want to know! The book will be a big seller regardless of whether Factor X is released before/after it's published. This "story" is too good to not have all the details.

19. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

The last month been the worst for me on the road to optimal. Prior to that it seemed that every week I'd have a major win. So for 5 months I had solid progress that improved my life and health. I've been running a low grade fever, anxious, irritable (with anger boiling up ever day), exhausted, dark thoughts, bad sleep, overall "look" went downhill, craved the worst of the worst carb foods. I'd end up in pits of self pity and I cried often.

I dealt with it best I could in getting help getting all the household stuff done and did as much as I had in my toolbox to support my body with supplements and hormones through the wild detox. At the end of the day though what really kept me going is that there is a lot of life left in front of me to enjoy and going through some struggle and darkness will make the other side that much more sweet.

It is about discovering your own fears and kicking their ass.

It is about taking a hard look at priorities.

It is about renewal.

"The road is always better than the inn" - Cervantes.

Oh, and it is definitely about perspective too. It isn't like I injected MRSA and surgery without anesthesia.

20. PaleoSue

PaleoSue New Member

Being frustrated that I still have digestive issues after 4 weeks on a clean diet. (although it is improved!)

Sometimes my Achilles pain comes back, and I don't have a good explanation. But before the RX and CT, I had Achilles pain every day, so this is also improving.