1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What does your diet look like?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Julian, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Julian

Julian New Member

Hey guys i am just wondering what a optimal day of eating would look like for you?
  2. shiran

shiran Curious

Wish I had a constant fresh supply of :..... IMG_0984.JPG
  3. Inger

Inger Silver

If you move to a place where you can pick your oysters, you will have a constant supply of fresh one for free :)
    That is what I did. So I pick me about 100 every other week and eat them raw. I summer I eat more oysters than in winter because it is harder to pick them when days are so short and often also stormy here. But I still get them regularly also in winter.
    I work at the beach I pick them on, which is so cool because then I can just pick them before work if it is low tide! :) Between november and april the restaurant is closed tho..
    But in winter I get lots of cheap mussels and mackerel and herring and other wild caught local fish so it is fine :)

My diet consists of oysters, mussels, other wild caught fish, grassfed beef and lamb organs, fat and meat.. they are my staple foods... In summer I add in salads, avocados, nuts/seeds and some veggies but veggies are very scarce on my menu.

I do have cheated at work with HWC and too much coffee. I need to change that next season as work begins again because I realize it has an impact on how I feel, huh

My optimal day today;

For breakfast I had 8 oysters and 150 grams of wild caught salmon from the market, raw, with some white balsamic vinegar and sea salt. Very simple but delicious :)

Lunch will be wild caught, local shrimp from the market, cooked, eaten with shell (we have these tiny shrimps here, that are nice to eat whole with shell, they are a special brand of shrimp I have only seen here in north Germany, called B├╝sumer Krabben, about 1/3 as big as normal shrimp and darker in color) maybe a raw egg or two.

Dinner will be carpaccio made of grassfed beef and fat, I just cut it into thin slices and might add some rucola and balsamic vinegar and EVOO.

I eat super simple and I love that. Almost no time for preparing food.
    If I want something nice for dessert or so I might just take 2 eggyolks, mix them with about 2 tbsp coconut oil, 1/2 tsp of wild honey and about 3-4 tbsp coconut flakes. Yum :)
    SlamSlask and Brent Patrick like this.
  4. Julian

Julian New Member

i for some reason have never been able to handle oysters! It feels like some one has spat in my mouth lol. Is salmon and prawns good enough? Everyone on here seems to swear by oysters :/
  5. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Julian , I am the poster child for disliking everything that swims. Oysters have all kinds of "magic " There is no reason that you need to enjoy them ,they just need to go straight down the middle, go in and stay in in other words :mmpft::thumbsup: That includes its water .

A lot of helpful people tried to give me recipes for making them nice,cooking grilling them etc and all of the recipes made me gag. I have gone from straight down the middle as fast as possible to actually craving them raw as they come in the shell. One of the magic is that they have an excellent mineral balance,the water must be low in deuterium and I think they also do something to repopulate our microbiome with goodies. So don't think of feeding the "I" only that is really a "we"
    Linz, Brent Patrick and shiran like this.
  6. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Ive been experimenting with seasonal foods in my area for fall. This morning I had raw mackerral that was marinated overnight in salt fresh tyme and rosemary with a can of icelandic cod roe and liver pate with small handfull of hazle nuts. Sounds strange but it was super satisfying. I just fifnished grass fed lamb chops with steamed mushrrooms with grassfed chreme cheese and Dulse seaweed. It was tremendous.
  7. Julian

Julian New Member

I have just been doing salmon, prawns and muscles occasionally. I hear oyster killpatrik is pretty good i should give that a go.
  8. Inger

Inger Silver

Julian, I do not care too much what my food tastes like, but rather how it makes me feel ;)
    if I cared about tastes too much I would still eat cakes and pizza..uh but it was so not worth it how it made me feel!

You can learn to enjoy anything with time! If it is too bad I just hold my nose. I know, crazy, but if I drink a lamb lung smoothie before going to work, the energy I get is awesome, so it is worth it :)
    I did not like oysters too much in the beginning either but I ate them anyways... after a month or two I started to like them... and after a while you will just crave the fresh, wild crispiness.... no animal food is as fresh as an oyster! It is killed just the second befor you eat it....

Put a few drops of fresh lemon or lime on your oyster, and maybe additionally Crystal sauce and horse radish.. you will love it :)
    Brent Patrick and Optimalbound like this.
  9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

10. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Well I prefer to have the best of both worlds I enjoy expereimenting with whats available to me seasonally and combine the new ingrediants to suite both my taste my curiosity and my adventurousness.
  11. Inger

Inger Silver

just had these for lunch, 2 handful of whole small cooked shrimps eaten with shell and head, from the coast where I live..with rucola and balsamic vinegar, delicious :)

[​IMG]
    drezy and Brent Patrick like this.
  12. shiran

shiran Curious

Is there a benefit in eating the Shrimps shells? Do you eat the tail?
    Looks delicious
  13. drezy

drezy Gold

14. shiran

shiran Curious

Thanks drezy i read the thread, I just have a technical question about shrimp it's best to eat the seafood raw right?
    Do you eat the shrimp totally raw or you put lemon on it or give it a second on the pan ?
    How the hell am I supposes to eat the shell of the shrimp? It's like eating an egg shell it's hard
    Is it ok to make a soup out of the shells like a bone broth? Will it lose the effect?
    Or should I ground it to small small and just swallow?

Thanks
  15. drezy

drezy Gold

I've been making lots of ceviche with shrimp, fish, and scallops. If I cook the shrimp the shells seem to soften. It probably depends on what kind shrimp. If I make a stir-fry I leave the tail and the last one or two sections of shell on. I just think of it as crunchy since I don't eat potato chips anymore.

Eating what you can and using the rest in a broth is a great and resourceful idea and will improve your broth nicely.
    shiran likes this.
  16. drezy

drezy Gold

Also many ceviche recipes add tomatoes. My family didn't feel like that too much of a match right now, so in the winter we make a ceviche "blanco" without tomato. Other than the seafood and cities juice we might throw in some cilantro and or some capers.
    shiran likes this.
  17. shiran

shiran Curious

I'll try it , it's not easy to get here the fresh seafood and it's expensive, I Remember hearing JK talking about the importance of the good things inside the shells, I'm wating for the curcuma root to be in season and I'll make a broth out of sea shells curcum and ginger boom for the eyes
  18. shiran

shiran Curious

Sounds good .. I've read you have polish roots , so do I
  19. drezy

drezy Gold

I do. That and Swiss roots. I'm still holding out for the possibility that a long lost billionaire Swiss banker great uncle assigns his wealth to me in his will. I'd build him the most remarkable grave site ever constructed if we can overlook the Taj Mahal (just in case he's evaluating me right now).
    shiran likes this.
  20. Julian

Julian New Member

wtf you ate shell and head? How did you cook them? I decided to just save the shells and air fry them.