1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What do you feed your kids for lunch?

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by Dan in Utah, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Dan in Utah

Dan in Utah New Member

I can deal with a salad and sardines for lunch, but my kids...not so much.

I need lunch ideas for my kids. Please?

2. skywaykate

skywaykate Gold

Would love ideas, especially getting them used to the idea, and replacements for fast foods (snacks, not McDonalds...but now that I say that, grab n go from the grocery store instead of McDonalds ideas would be appreciated too!).

What do you keep in hand that is fast?

sent from my phone while wrangling at least 1 toddler...expect typos, smile when you see them...the toddlers or the typos

3. Sem

Sem New Member

I have tried to cut way back on snacks but what I do have is things like dried fruit, baby carrots, apples (baked or fresh), kale chips. I make banana bread an apple muffins made from coconut flour. There's lots of recipes floating around out there. For lunch, we have veggies cooked in bone broth, hamburger patties, chicken legs. Brown rice pasta sometimes with butter. Things like that. My kids are allergic to nuts but, if yours aren't, then there's a whole other world of nut flours, nut butters, etc.

4. tweety

tweety New Member

we do a lot of leftovers, grassfed burgers made ahead of time, grass fed hot dogs, salami... always a couple of veggies. usually homemade yogurt or coconut smoothies, one type of fruit, nuts...

in the winter its so much easier. lots of soup, leftovers, broth. I bake with coconut flour then too, or occassionally almond flour. Its too hot to do any of that, so I am taking advantage of the heat to further wean them off of baked goods, rice and other starches that arent essential.

I try to limit their fruits to one per meal or less, and try to get their veggies to two per meal or more. Eggs are easy, hard boiled is quick to grab. And a recent fave- prosciutto wrapped around avocado. My daughter calls it meat sushi. They love them! I've been known to make them sushi rolls from tuna/canned salmon with avocado wrapped in nori.

I think the easiest thing to do is to always make extras when cooking.

5. kathylu

kathylu Gold

We have "breakfast for lunch" days often. Scrambled eggs, sausage, broiled tomatoes are favorites. Leftovers, or apple and raw milk cheese chunks. Occasionally our version of a PB&J...almond butter and raw honey on gluten free bread or a coconut wrap (I make my own). Paleo pancakes made from coconut flour, covered with cinnamon no sugar applesauce. Lettuce wraps (think tacos), chef's salad.

Check out paleoparents.com My 5 year old really digs making recipes from their book "Eat Like A Dinosaur".

6. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Lunch is probably our most challenging meal, but I think we do pretty well. I don't allow snacks anymore, so I make sure the kids eat a full meal that will hold them over until next mealtime. It's difficult during the school year because it seems like teachers always push snacks anymore . . . so frustrating! Lunches are more difficult then too, but now that they're home for the summer I'm finding it much easier.

We do things like zucchini pizzas, burgers, meatballs with zucchini noodles or just plain meatballs, turkey patties, salmon patties, salmon/tuna salad, hard boiled eggs, meatloaf, homemade chicken nuggets, stuff like that. I try to make a few meals on the weekends and freeze for them throughout the week.

7. skywaykate

skywaykate Gold

Where did you find good recipes for the coconut flour pancakes and wrap? Would love links, please!

My daughters love stuff from Eat Like a Dinosaur, just don't always find it fast a lot of the time, but part of it is learning the recipes.

sent from my phone while wrangling at least 1 toddler...expect typos, smile when you see them...the toddlers or the typos

8. LisaAPB

LisaAPB New Member

meatballs, shish kebab, greek yogurt berry parfaits, bacon wraps, eggs, stuffed celery/tomatoes/peppers/mushrooms, veggies, lettuce "boats", olives, fruit, soups, some rice & potato on occasion, veggie lasagna

9. tweety

tweety New Member

I struggle with the snacks. For them I doubt its actual hunger, because their meals are huge! They just snack because they like the idea of food any time of day. I am fairly strict about no snacks, but my husband and other people are a target for them! Especially the youngest. She seems to sense the weakness! She knows people will give in if they think she is starving.

And my mother in law seems to live by the idea that you should eat all day long. She eats very small meals, and then is always chomping on something. She came over the other day with a "smoothie" to share with them. I think it had several types of fruits in it, plus some sort of protein mix. It was like liquid sugar! But because its all fruit (even if six or seven all in one sitting) she thinks its a great option. Its hard to explain why I think fruits in that case might not be as great as they seem.

So despite my giant breakfast I prepared for them, they then had a smoothie snack 30 min later, and when I came back two hours later were eating more snacks of dried fruit and nuts. Then they ask for lunch right after that! I am just thankful they are young and their livers are functioning well so they can handle this. It's still much better than processed/soy/HFCS junk... but I want optimal for them too!

10. Sem

Sem New Member

Other people are always trying to undermine me with the kids. This included my own parents. (who live across the street) and my mother in law (who lives with me). My husband is pretty good about it. But everyone else acts like I am torturing my children because I don't let them eat Doritos and Donuts all day. It's truly bizarre. When I took them off of gluten, my mother in law kept saying how she felt so "sorry" for them. Why? A blood test actually came back positive for allergies to gluten. And they had horrible rashes that cleared up within a week of going off gluten. What is there to feel sorry about? I also love how they will complain about the boys behavior but refuse to see the direct cause and effect of the food they just gave them.

11. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

It is bizarre, but that's the world we live in. I've been told several times that people feel sorry for my children and that I'm depriving them. "Every child needs to have donuts for breakfast and bedtime snacks of oreos and ice cream!" I don't think there's a single person around me that understands what I'm doing and that's fine. I've learned to accept it, but I am getting quite the short fuse when it comes to dealing with them! If they want to be responsible for causing their children and themselves ill health, so be it; I refuse to be a part of that.

12. tweety

tweety New Member

Well I am sorry that you both have the same experiences, but its nice that I'm not alone. I used to make my own toothpaste for the family because I wanted to avoid chemical ingredients. My mother also commented she felt so bad watching them "have to brush their teeth and not like the taste of it." I thought, this is silly- it's toothpaste! Its not food, it doesn't have to taste like candy or sweets. I still make it occassionally, and the kids don't love it but they tolerate it.

But yes, people think kids should be eating all the time. I actually am worried sometimes that my kids don't know the difference between eating out of hunger vs. eating because there is something yummy in front of you. Mine eat at any opportunity given to them. The upside is that now my oldest will pretty much eat ANYthing put in front of her. Sardines, oysters, turnips, onions... all the stuff that she used to reject!

13. I make little sandwiches with cucumbers or zuch as the outside and stick a variety of things on the inside. Thin sliced beef with a vinegary mayo goes great on cucumbers. I like this alot too.

I do raw milk, so he's always up for a glass of "chocolate", by which I use 99% chocolate, tumeric, cinnamon, vanilla and a tiny bit of honey or maple syrup.

My husband is the master of almond flour baking, and so we have some "bread" at the ready for now and then when I am short on time. He's got one that he makes with a hard parm like raw cheese that is AWESOME. My son will eat a slice of that with a boatload of butter.

14. Coconut Popcorn is a great one. . . .

Get the biggest flakes of coconut you can find, toast it in a pan with as much butter as you can, and salt liberally! When it cools its crunch and a tad sweet/salty.

I also like it with the Kerrygold garlic herb butter.

15. Ditto on the well meaning sabotage. "Just a taste" or "Just a little bit" of whatever crap gets fed to children seems to happen when he's with others for play dates or with a babysitter friend.

I know I should man up (Jack up?) enough to tow the line - but I already feel like he feels negatively about being the odd man out in group settings.

Why don't you all move to Colorado!

16. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Cavemam, can you say exactly how you do this? A lot of butter in the pan... and I picture soggy coconut flakes. Details please. My kids say 'no fair' that we can't have popcorn for family movie time so I'd love to make this.

Also, you mentioned a great almond flour bread recipe. If you - or others - are willing to post, I'd like to be able to offer that to my children, too.

Thanks for the great ideas!

17. Rolando567

Rolando567 New Member

Ask them what they liked to have at school for lunch and throw a few of those into the mix.

What about cheesy breadsticks and marinara to dip, spaghetti or fettuccine alfredo, grilled cheese, chicken salad pitas,tortilla wrap sandwiches, frozen grapes, mini pizzas, all beef hot dogs with chips and dip?

Sexual Advice Association

18. XeniaMom

XeniaMom New Member

Salad with albacore tuna on top. Olive oil and vinegar dressing with lots of fresh herbs. Greek yogurt, grass fed hamburgers.

19. omlh@todmi.com

omlh@todmi.com New Member

I make soups most days (often served chilled), generally a salad and some cold meats, eggs or smoked fish (luckily my lot love smoked mackerel, smoked trout and smoked salmon, and we live near the coast so I know it's fresh) and, if they feel they need a pudding, some frozen berries, a drizzle of honey and some coconut milk or double/heavy cream makes a quick and easy one.