1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What do we know about brown adipose tissue

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by chocolate, Apr 1, 2012.

1. MJ*

MJ* New Member

N~Doro that first post was interesting, could peppermint soap do the trick?:

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Dr. Oz, Pain, Hot/Cold Receptors

The production of endorphins in tissues in response to nerve stimulation relieves inflammation and pain. Dr. Oz and the medical community seem to forget that hot and cold receptors in the skin can be readily triggered by natural products in foods, to stimulate the release of endorphins and treat inflammation in nearby tissues.

Hot and Cold Don't Easily Penetrate the Skin

Athletic trainers commonly apply hot and cold packs to avoid swelling and inflammation from injuries, and they are always discussing the virtues of various hot/cold regimens. They ignore the extraordinary efficiency of the circulatory system in regulating tissue temperatures and avoiding temperature changes. They also ignore the fact that chemical "hot and cold" salves and ointments are effective without actually changing the temperature of the skin. The essential observation is that triggering hot and cold sensing nerves is more important than changing the temperature of the damaged tissues.

Common Food Molecules Activate Hot/Cold Nerve Receptors

Peppers are hot, because they contain capsaicin that binds to protein receptors on nerves in the skin, which results in the brain sensation of heat. Camphor and castor oil bind to the same receptors. Menthol binds to corresponding cold receptors. Vicks Vaporub has both menthol and camphor, and therefore stimulates both hot and cold sensors. Vicks is also an effective treatment for tissue inflammation.

Vicks and Castor Oil are Effective Treatments for Pain and Inflammation

A bee sting or a burn on a finger will produce reddening, swelling and pain, that can be quickly alleviated by applying Vicks to the wrist. The hot and cold sensors of the wrist would be stimulated and the returning nerve signals would be generally detected in the whole hand and produce endorphins that would calm the inflammation and sooth the injured finger. In a similar way, an inflamed joint can be treated by topical menthol and castor oil, and lower abdominal discomfort can be alleviated by castor oil applied to the belly.

Tendonitis can be Treated with Peppermint Soap

I have treated a persistent tendonitis in my shoulder by applying Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap liberally to my shoulder and waiting a few minutes before continuing my shower. This gentle, persistent treatment produced relief within a week. This was a cure for this persistent inflammation and pain. It also works on joints.

What Dr. Oz needs to communicate is that there are simple ways to stimulate hot/cold receptors that have nothing to do with changing the temperature of deeper tissues, but these treatments are very effective in stimulating general endorphin production that reduces troublesome inflammation and pain. As an addendum, vagal stimulation, i.e. through yoga postures such as shavasana or the Valsalva maneuver, can produce a reduction in general inflammation.

2. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Great post! I gobbled it up! That was an excellent argument for home raised or local raised produce too.

3. MJ*

MJ* New Member

4. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

All it takes is a little digital insertion ;).

I know it is hard to get our minds around this but if it is clinically effective, it is also very cheap.

Don't think I will be trying this anytime soon.

I'll wait for the RCTs . . .

5. N~Doro

N~Doro Silver

It's finding the healthy donor that freaks me out. Ah, um would you mind.....:eek:

6. MJ*

MJ* New Member

OMG LOL LOL LOL the dirtier you are the more you can sell your s&^% for!

7. MJ*

MJ* New Member

That's part of it...:eek:

8. MJ*

MJ* New Member

9. N~Doro

N~Doro Silver

You saw this part, right?

Anyway, this is a good post for the menthol thread so I will cross-post over there. I don't think it adds much new info though.

10. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Thank you for reposting.

11. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

Hey, I already suggested it in that thread. No need to dirty it with Dr Oz!

12. N~Doro

N~Doro Silver

Sorry about that. I was thinking it seemed familiar and did a quick lookthru but missed your post.

13. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Sorry that's my fault...it's hard to keep up! It's like epigentics speeding up with all these threads to read!!! ;) Like my enzymes, I can't keep up!

14. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

. . . and some of us benefit from double posts to keep up with our poor DNA signaling.

15. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Haha well alrighty then! Me too actually...

16. I wonder if bathing in hot sauce is cheaper than buying all this ice!

17. MJ*

MJ* New Member

You bathe in your taco sauce and then feed your family, and they'd get their fair serving of germs at the same time....Kids Tacos...YuM...

18. It's the natural extension of pre-chewing!

19. MJ*

MJ* New Member

LoL yes that will aid in digestion!

20. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

Triclosan (the active chemical in antibacterial soap) has been shown to reduce one's number of Natural Killer Cells. These are the guys that can kill cancer cells, viruses, etc. But good news, being leptin sensitive helps your body to make more of the NK cells.

If you have any of this stuff around pitch it!