1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What do we know about brown adipose tissue

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by chocolate, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Clabbergirl

Clabbergirl New Member

I've seen a few photos, MRIs, and illustrations of BAT locations in adults and infants.

[​IMG]

I'd love to see what Dr. Kruse's BAT looks like through an MRI when exposed to cold (or the Ice Man Wim)...

Attached files [​IMG]

2. chocolate

chocolate Silver

http://www.mendeley.com/research/effects-diet-cold-acclimation-lipid-composition-rat-interscapular-brown-adipose-tissue/

Effects of diet and cold acclimation on lipid composition of rat interscapular brown adipose tissue.

The effects of diet and of cold acclimation on lipid composition of interscapular brown adipose tissue (BAT) were studied in rats. Three groups of animals were acclimated for 20 weeks to 28 degrees C (controls), 5 degrees C (CA) or to a daily fluctuating temperature (Cy). They received either normal fat (5 p. 100 lipids) NF or high fat (26 p. 100) HF diets. Cold acclimation increased the tissue weight and its protein, phospholipid, free fatty acid and cholesterol content. It decreased the total lipid proportion in the tissue. HF diet led to an increase in lipid content and to a decrease in the protein content only in control and Cy groups. The mean chain length of triglyceride or phospholipid fatty acids was increased by HF diet and cold acclimation. The proportion of unsaturated acids was not changed in cold acclimated rats, but the amount of arachidonic acid bound to phospholipid was significantly increased. It is concluded that the total amount of lipid in the diet acts on the synthesis of BAT lipids. The cold dependant changes in lipid composition which are similar but less important in cyclic cold acclimation than in constant cold adaptation seem to be proportional to the increase in the tissue energy metabolism.

I'm still thinking fat's perty good for a cold adapted gal.

BTW There are tons of cold adapted rat studies from the 60's on. Everything changes in the cold. I am a coarse communicator, but there is some good stuff on epididimys fat and growth hormone.

3. chocolate

chocolate Silver

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20557470

Significance and application of melatonin in the regulation of brown adipose tissue metabolism: relation to human obesity.

Tan DX, Manchester LC, Fuentes-Broto L, Paredes SD, Reiter RJ.

Source

Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA.

Abstract

A worldwide increase in the incidence of obesity indicates the unsuccessful battle against this disorder. Obesity and the associated health problems urgently require effective strategies of treatment. The new discovery that a substantial amount of functional brown adipose tissue (BAT) is retained in adult humans provides a potential target for treatment of human obesity. BAT is active metabolically and disposes of extra energy via generation of heat through uncoupling oxidative phosphorylation in mitochondria. The physiology of BAT is readily regulated by melatonin, which not only increases recruitment of brown adipocytes but also elevates their metabolic activity in mammals. It is speculated that the hypertrophic effect and functional activation of BAT induced by melatonin may likely apply to the human. Thus, melatonin, a naturally occurring substance with no reported toxicity, may serve as a novel approach for treatment of obesity. Conversely, because of the availability of artificial light sources, excessive light exposure after darkness onset in modern societies should be considered a potential contributory factor to human obesity as light at night dramatically reduces endogenous melatonin production. In the current article, the potential associations of melatonin, BAT, obesity and the medical implications are discussed.

4. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I saw the full-text of this study recently. It's implications are huge.

It demonstrates quite readily that melatonin regulates BAT activation. Unfortunately, most humans are melatonin-deranged due to light abuse, that is getting doses of artificial light that interfere with normal circadioan rythms for melatonin production.

This study implies that BAT growth is more tied to light cycles and normal melatonin secretion than to cold. It makes sense, when the light cycle is shorter, as in Winter, more melatonin is produced, activating more BAT.

This study also goes into detail about BAT as a mechanism for 'overeating thermogenesis'. When we take in too many calories, BAT activates to burn these calories as heat regardless of temperature (cold thermogenesis).

When I first read this study, I thought--cool, I'll start popping melatonin pills before bed, but I don't think it will be that simple. The melatonin that the body produces is done in a certain sequence, starting off slowly, increasing around midnight, then tapering til morning. Melatonin supplements provide a huge slug of melatonin that is mostly gone by midnight. You'd need a super-formulated time-release type pill to mirror mother nature.

5. chocolate

chocolate Silver

I didn't know what to think about that either. The mitochondria selectively takes in melatonin, so I'm thinking....maybe that's another one that really can't be ODed on. I just don't know. Who knows how fast it clears? I don't know enough. I'm thinking mitochondria is like a baby, let it eat the good stuff to satisfaction. It sure would be nice to believe the iron/copper overload was just waiting for the melatonin. I'm looking for the answer off and on. Maybe everything is waiting for molydenum to break down the sulfites and the melatonin to keep the glutathione cycling and then and then. I'm very overwhelmed. I just know sulfur isn't getting where it needs to or being metabolized properly... is it bad flora or ????

6. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

I use to take melatonin to help me get to sleep years ago. It worked like a charm. However, the next morning I was always groggy for hours. So I'm not sure how long it takes to clear.

7. chocolate

chocolate Silver

My buddy said the same thing. I wonder if you really just need more sleep, with the selective uptake? Sleep is a healer....very frustrating. I'm leaning towards more sleep is in order.

8. Rosekelly

Rosekelly New Member

Wait, I'm sure I saw other pictures somewhere of BAT being located on the upper back. No? Or is that in addition? So should I be icing below my clavicle to activate BAT?

9. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Actually, Jack's advice on wearing blue-blockers and cutting all unnatural light after sundown is probably the only real solution. Hard to do, hard to do...

10. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Yes and I think this is also why JK says we shouldn't eat several hrs before bed... As this hormone cascade can't happen while our system is busy digesting. We need that magic time between 12-3 to get this production going and eating late and light abuse will stop it dead in its tracks.

Thanks for the summary of the entire article!! All the more reason to get "cold, dark, and sleepy!'. Wondering if we can use dark to our advantage outside of winter (to get unbroken?).. Or if sticking with natures light cycles are best. I need a few winters to get fixed with everything I have going on!!

11. I am wondering if creating a false winter is theraputic, or if we should start in and go with nature. The days are getting longer! Less night, should we sleep less? I get the benefits of of CT, but with longer days is it just more mismatching?

12. villjamur_stevenson

years ago I was reading a great book called "Lights Out" - and I did the getting 9-10 hours of sleep in the dark in the winter, and then less so in the summer. My wife hated me for sleeping all of that time in the winter - it really put a damper on my social life. It was basically work, eat, sleep in the winter.

13. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

14. MJ*

MJ* New Member

That's very interesting...we sterilize our environments so much these days with all the antibacterial soaps - could they be making us fat?, and who knows what's not in our foods anymore...maybe we need to cook and eat with dirty hands lol!

15. MJ*

MJ* New Member

That makes sense to me, live by the sun!

16. villjamur_stevenson

Here's what I think. For the last 38 years, I've been living in summer. 5 months of winter isn't going to counter that. I figure I need to keep CTing til next spring, then if my weight and body look as if I'm done hibernating - I'll follow the seasons going forward.

17. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Nearly every time we go in a grocery store I see someone wiping their shopping cart down with those antimicrobial wipes.

I say get dirty and get immune!

I pretty much only tell my kids to wash their hands before eating and using the bathroom while encouraging them to go barefoot and play outside as much as possible. I have seen people get upset when they see how I let my kids to go barefoot, get dirty, and just have fun. They look at my boy shirtless then look at me shirtless and say nothing, LoL.

Amazing how much you realize human conditioned behavior when viewing from another perspective.

18. villjamur_stevenson

The intestinal bacteria studies doesn't shock me. I think the science has been steadily progressing that will eventually implicate antibiotics and microbial disruption as a factor in obesity.

19. N~Doro

N~Doro Silver

Be sure to check out Art Ayers blog http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/ for everything you ever wanted to know about gut flora etc. He has made a point of exposing himself to dirt from his yard/and homegrown veggies. Wealth of information such as this nugget that applies here:

In this sense, hygiene is unhealthy, because an individual is isolated from new sources of bacteria that could replace those lost by limited diets, antibiotics, etc. Otherwise, health is contagious, since gut bacteria from healthy individuals can spread among the population. Washing hands and food is unnatural and unhealthy.

http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/2011/06/contagious-health.html

seanb4 likes this.
  20. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I'll check that out, thanks!