1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What Causes Acid Reflux/GERD?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by tes3@mac.com, May 25, 2012.

1. tes3@mac.com

tes3@mac.com New Member

Hello Everyone,

I've suffered from acid reflux for 25+ years. Low carb paleo definitely helps, no starch and very little sugar is a blessing. But I still get reflux, especially when I drink coffee or wine. I've even done something similar to NAET to get rid of food sensitivities, and that has helped, but reflux is still an issue.

I've experimented a lot, and I know from reading and experimenting that the reflux is immediately caused by the failure of the lower esophageal sphincter to close properly. I also have a small hiatal hernia, so that is a contributing factor.

One interesting theory I've read is that LOW stomach acid will cause the esophageal sphincter to fail to close properly. Hence the use of Betaine HCl. I can temporarily eliminate the reflux by taking HCl, but sometimes I need to take incredibly large quantities to achieve relief (on the order or 5-10 capsules). Given that HCl relieves the reflux, and antacid makes it worse, I'm inclined toward the low stomach acid theory.

So, my real question, then, is WHY would I have such low stomach acid? How does one "goose" the stomach into cranking out HCl? Is there a leptin/hormone issue at work here? I can't help but think that since my thyroid has been working at half speed for most of the past 30 years that THAT has contributed to the issue.

Any thoughts? Thanks!... Tom

2. janagram

janagram New Member

I don't have an answer, but I m interested; I have this at night. If I bend over to pick up my shoes or something I can feel it coming on...that must be hiatal hernia or some such thing...and if I take an antacid , it helps, so I may not need the betaine hcl, but I have some in an enzyme combo I take at least once a day. And just what do you do about a hiatal hernia?

3. chocolate

chocolate Silver

B6 is needed to make stomach acid.

rlee314 likes this.
  4. tes3@mac.com

tes3@mac.com New Member

B6, interesting. I keep getting hints that digestive issues are a chicken/egg problem. Poor absorption of nutrients (ie, B6), causes digestive issues, which then cause more digestive issues, etc. I'll do some B6 research. Thanks.

5. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I used to suffer terribly from this for many years...I never really knew what caused it but I did begin to notice that the later I ate and then also the time between eating and going to bed was a factor. I would only be symptomatic when I was sleeping. On rare occasions, I would wake up feeling like I was choking...like gasping for air that I could not get, and like you were choking on your own vomit. It would scare the begeesus out of me and my husband, because it would wake him up too, and last for a bit, and there was little I could do to stop it, until it passed - it was always very scary... I did some reading and found out that one way to cope with it was to use an incline pillow, this helped, and I also stopped eating late at night - ever because the trade off of the near death breathing episodes was not worth it...changing my diet has eliminated these symptoms completely!