1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

what can you tell me about cytochrome P450?

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Hope2Learn, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Hope2Learn

Hope2Learn We are all connected.

I'm only asking because I've noticed a couple of times now that my recently-obtained 23andme results show that most SNPs that mention P450 come back as completely nonfunctional and unable to process related chemicals where applicable, and/or have polymorphisms in some other way.

I don't know enough about this to know how to post more relevant explanations for my question though, so if this is terribly ambiguous I apologize. I just wonder how issues with P450 might interact with the things I might have going on regarding health/hormones, and even more so wondering how it might relate to the overall Rxs etc. that Dr. K. has here on his site, bottom line. Since mine more or less seems to be pretty FUBAR.(edit: except for caffeine break-down -- I do that extra fast thanks to CYP1A2)

Thanks for any information, explanation, or discussion anyone cares to contribute to my understanding! I find this stuff fascinating! :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Hope2Learn likes this.
  3. Hope2Learn

Yeah I do like that part of it. I was just checking that out among other transcripts and pages. Basically he just says its' the liver detox pathway and leaves it at that. My brother died of liver failure last year. Interesting, no doubt.

4. nicld

nicld Gold

Dr. Tim is a really good resource on the 23andme results. He will be on the Optimal Reset talk next Tuesday and will be offering a discount on am initial consult. If you can swing it, it might be worth working with him.

Hope2Learn likes this.
  5. Hope2Learn

Is that talk something that non members can access? Is there a site newsletter or something that would notify people of these sorts of events for nonmembers? Thanks!

6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

@Hope2Learn where is T4 metabolised to T3 . What happens when you are slow clearing environmental toxins because your pathways are inefficient ?
    If you decide to have a cup of coffee to ponder the question you might just be building in a delay of said equation as detox trumps other housekeeping.

It also means that you may not be able to easily access the PPP. That is why you were a self confessed junk food addict . You may not be able to make sufficient ATP so your body is going for the lowhanging fruit ',carbs that is. Finding out how YOU can enter the PPP will be one of the things you need to do.

That is why I posted the second link. It explains the PPP side of things .

Hope2Learn likes this.
  7. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Every member,even non paying gets a mail notification to join the event.It is chargeable.

Hope2Learn likes this.
  8. Hope2Learn

I dont know about T4 to T3... I"m new to all this..... I don't know what happens when you are slow clearing environmental toxins..... I do know that I process caffeine faster based on these results (your coffee mention) but that's about it.... second link? I only saw one.. let me refresh... :) thanks...

edit - oops only saw the ben greenfield one at first, i'll check the other one now. :)

edit again - oh wait i did see that first one, i remember it looking like a pot leaf image in the tab. I'll read it again I must've missed something.

9. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Hope2Learn likes this.
  10. Hope2Learn

I really like this quote from the start of that article -

"The body is not a machine, like our earth it is a group of interacting ecosystems that all talk to one another and influence each other in both good and bad ways."

11. Hope2Learn

Raised bilirubin levels can damage liver mitochondria? Well I was jaundiced and in an incubator for a long while when first born and so was my son. I had to leave him behind in the hospital because of it when I was released.. he stayed 6 days because his bili count was so high they had us sign forms allowing them to do a full body blood transfusion if necessary. Thankfully it wasn't. Interesting.

so when AST is topped out on the charts is that a sign of liver damage specifically or just generalized muscle damage in the body? Perhaps my newly-fouled up thyroid from outta nowhere is causing a systemic cascade of issues and perhaps that can at least partly explain why that was the case a few months ago (but not when rechecked in December). Who knows. Anyway, dont want to get off-subject. oops!

Lahelada likes this.
  12. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Interesting too. My half brother ,same mother different father,was born with jaundice . I have no 23 and me or even much family info so that was a good reminder for me to put on the family history list . I also suspect I was not breastfed so my leptin receptors got off to a shaky start.

Hope2Learn likes this.
  13. Hope2Learn

I've been reading some things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytochrome_P450#CYP_families_in_humans
    and referring back to my test results, now sorted for entries containing "CYP", I can narrow down the most important issues, at least in part, to:

CYP1 A2 - GS159 faster caffeine metabolism (flagged as "good)
    & also:
    rs762551 (A;A) faster caffeine metabolism in liver

(Don't know if this is actually good though.. wikipedia says CYP1's function is related to drug and steroid (especially estrogen) metabolizing.. if I metabolize caffeine faster do I also metabolize estrogen quicker? Is that a silly question of apples and oranges?)

CYP2 C19 - multiple SNPs and notations - this is placed at the top of my list no matter how it's sorted, due to having the highest magnitude on the "bad" scale:
    GS151 - reduced breakdown of certain drugs
    rs4244285 (A;G) - "This variant is the most common reason for poor metabolism of compounds like mephenytoin (an anti-convulsant), some antidepressants, the anti-platelet drug Plavix, and some drugs used for ulcer conditions of various types. The risk allele is rs4244285(A). As a nonfunctioning CYP2C19, this variant would be expected to be a poor metabolizer of several commonly prescribed drugs, including anti-ulcer drugs like omeprazole (trade names Losec and Prilosec), esomeprazole (trade name Nexium), and lansoprazole (trade name Prevacid). In Caucasians, SNPs in CYP2C19 are relatively rare (in contrast to SNPs in CYP2D6), but SNPs in this gene are common in Asians."
    rs12777823 (A;G) - "Avoid Plavix, higher risk for adverse cardiovascular events." (related neighbors, these last 2)
    rs 1045642 (C;T) - concentrations of certain drugs are significantly increased

to name a few - these all pertain to poor breakdown of certain drugs -( just about every class of anti-depressants is 7x less effective in me (I could've told them that years ago, and in fact tried to ;) ), Plavix has a high risk of cardiovascular adverse events in me, bupoprion or whatever will have no effect on me, etc etc.. too many kinds of drugs to mention. More rs's than just the CYP ones cause part of those issues though)

CYP2 D6*4 - rs 3892097 (A;G) - "The (A) form disrupts proper mRNA formation, resulting in a nonfunctional CYP2D6 protein. The associated allele is also known as CYP2D6*4. The CYP2D6*4 allele is the most common nonfunctioning variant of CYP2D6. If two copies of this (or similar) changes are inherited, poor metabolism ('PM') of debrisoquine is observed. Many other drugs are typically first metabolized by CYP2D6 including dextromorphan, sparteine, metoprolol, nortriptyline and many other antidepressants and codeine"

CYP2 A6*5 - rs50310170 (G;T) - non-functioning variant, affects nicotine metabolism

CYP2 D6*10 - GS173 "reduced metabolism" (which is flagged as "Good")
    & also:
    rs1065852(C;T) - decreased or non-functioning variant (affects drug breakdown/metabolism)
    Wikipedia says CYP2's function is drug and steroid metabolism also but doesn't say which kinds of steroids, but my CYP2 drug metabolism functions seem to be hurting so maybe it's steroid metabolism functions are also in trouble?

I don't know if this helps anyone else besides myself, but I'm a huge fan of learning and this way I can at least reference the ones I want to focus on. Thanks everyone! :)

14. CYP1B1 is also decreased estrogen metabolism