1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by ashryn, Jan 6, 2013.

1. ashryn

ashryn New Member

I've seen a few book recommendations on various threads, and i thought it would be cool to collect them in the same place.. Until the last couple of weeks when i had to give my ipad back to work and lost all my books (not really lost, just stuck on my computer for now until i get around to updating the new ipad with them)

I use a booklovers site called goodreads (i'm ashryn there too if you want to find me) and love getting recommendations for new authors to read.
    I'm going through a sci fi near future dystopian phase at the moment, and am re-reading a book called The Windup Girl by Paulo Bacigalupi. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6597651-the-windup-girl i'm really enjoing it, and i have 3 xmas presents to return (already own all of them) plus a gift voucher for my favourite bookshop, so i'm looking for recommendations..

What are you reading at the moment?
    What is your all-time favourite book?

2. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

I'm reading "iodine, why you need it, why you can't live w/o it" by David Brownstein, MD
    Heat Wave by "richard castle"
    Game of thrones by George RR Martin

And yes, simultaneously. It drives DH nuts. (shrug)

Up next, Robert Crais's "The Two Minute Rule"
    "The Shell Seekers" by Rosamond Pilcher (forced on me by a friend, not something I would normally read)
    David Baldacci's "The Innocent"
    and about 300 other books on my Kindle and about the same number in my bookcase. I don't dare go to the library!

My favorite book of all time? gee that covers way too much ground.

I would recommend Dan Simmons 4 book series:
    Hyperion
    Fall of Hyperion
    Endymion
    Rise of Endymion

And Olympus and Illium

Stephen King's The Dark Tower series ... his absolute BEST ever.

ANYthing by Pauline Gedge.

3. ashryn

ashryn New Member

I love those Dan Simmons ones!
    Never heard of Pauline Gedge.. Shall look her up now.
    But Stephen king? Nope. Gonna disagree with you on that choice ;P

My favourite series is the Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton... After the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, of course...

4. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

But have you READ the Dark Tower series? It is based on the Song of Roland and is a real mind twister. It is completely different from anything he's ever written.

I loved his early stuff. IT being my all time favorite. I actually cried at the end because I didn't WANT it to end. He does the most amazing character development I have EVER EVER seen. Yeah the plots are pretty basic and sometimes downright simplistic. But his CHARACTERS! It's why his books have never translated well to film. Too much internal dialog and description in the books.

The Dark Tower started about 30 years ago as a short story in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. then he wrote another bit and another and he finally had a book. then he continued. Took him about 25 years to finish the entire cycle but it was well worth the wait.

Pauline Gedge writes THE most amazing historical fiction (which I usually don't bother with). But she brings ancient Egypt to life. EVERY single one of her books puts me there in a way no other writer has ever been able to do. Her work is incredible. And I wish she'd get something new out there.

Peter Hamilton .... whoa there's another author who blows me away.

For some non-fiction, if you really want to warp your mind, try any of Zecharia Sitchin's books.

5. ashryn

ashryn New Member

Hrm.. Well i have all of stephen kings books in epub somewhere, so i shall trust you and give dark towers a bash. I really like cx driven stories, but i have found SKs to be largely full of characters i hate!

Umm.. About Zecharia Sitchin... You meant fiction, or speculative fiction, right? [​IMG]

Have you read the brain that changes itself? Its neuroscience, and it blew my mind.. (Brain plasticity) even if it was hard to read about the experiments on chimps... I am looking for something more recent in this vein, but seems they wrote a bunch of plasticity books when mainstream realised it was real, then not much that is accessible to non neuroscientists.

6. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

No I meant non-fiction.

Haven't read the other book ... the brain that changes itself. Saw you'd mentioned it elsewhere and it's now on my radar.

7. endless

endless New Member

I agree about the Dark Tower series...loved it.

Right now I'm reading 'Flight Behavior' by Barbara Kingsolver, who is one of my all time favorite authors.

Also reading 'The Inconvenient Indian' by Thomas King, 'Inside of a Dog' by Alexandra Horowitz, and blogs by Jack Kruse (repeatedly.....)

8. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Oh yeah, how could I forget THAT?!

Ratz. I thought of some other recommendations earlier but now they're gone. Man I just HATE when that happens!

9. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

I REMEMBERED!!!

Craig Johnson's "Longmire" series. Couldn't read them fast enough. Note they need to be read in order. He has a list on his site ... I think it's craigjohnson.com

10. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

OOH OOOH! Bet you never heard of this one.

The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters and the sequel, The Chemickal Marriage by Gordon W. Dahlquist. There's only the two so don't get fooled by the volume I and volume II bs. They took the first book and divided it into two. I had to special order the 2nd because the publishing house kind of abandoned him. They are real mind benders. Kind of steampunk science fiction.

also just finished "The Map of Time." I spent the entire book trying to decide if it was science fiction or not. More kinda steampunk.

11. ashryn

ashryn New Member

Thanks D, All added to my to read list.. I'm digging steampunk lately.. And revisionist history.. Have you read any Neal Stephenson? Cryptonomicon is awesome of course, but heavy on the brain dumpage, his baroque cycle is an interesting read that has less math [​IMG]
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/823.Quicksilver

Gah! I have 446 books on that to read list.. I'd best get to reading them!

12. ashryn

ashryn New Member

Oh! And everything by chuck pahlniuk (especially survivor, invisible monsters and fight club)
    And Rule 34 by Charles Stross.. Hilarious when you've been internetting for a while... Actually he has a bunch of really interesting near future stuff -Accellerando is brilliant,
    And everything by William Gibson, Pattern Recognition especially.