1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Were you an obese child?

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by jeanie@truelongmont.com, Apr 6, 2012.

1. LinD

LinD New Member

No CO while on hCG. I wouldn't do it.

2. janagram

janagram New Member

ah, thanks for the clarification..

3. LinD

LinD New Member

Caroline,

First I read Gary Taubes book, Why We Get Fat.

Then Sisson's Primal Blueprint, and lastly Robb Wolf's, The Paleo Solution.

While there are a lot of similarities, each have a little bit different angle/thought. Also, I seem to need to read something three times before I get it. LOL.

If I had to choose just one of the above, I would go with Robb Wolf, just because he seems to detail more about autoimmune issues, which is relative to me with my MS.

But I don't regret at all what I've learned from all three. It's been worth it.

4. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

Johnson up day down day (diet)

one day you are to eat 500 calories (no hcg) and the other day is eat as much as you want

it`s very popular on some diet sites but many use the up day as a binge day and the down day is full of franken food to eat lots but keep it under 500 calories (at least that is what I have seen when I have looked at the posted menus)

5. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Well, actually it's not "eat as much as you want". It's calorie controlled. If you go out to the JUDDD website, there's a calculator there that tells you what your calorie limit is, based on age/weight/activity level. Mine came out to 1600 calories per day on up days, and 395 on down days.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Yes!!!!! I agree with you 100%!! Same here. I don't lose, and someone is always right there in my face telling my why it's MY fault. I'm just not doing something right. And if I would just do it right, I would lose. WRONG!!

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

Have you lost on this plan?

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

I absolutely agree that all these books are full of great info but I still dont know what to do. I don't do well with nuts and probably shouldn't eat much fruit if any. The one thing I think I know for sure - dr K's rule of leaving 5-6 hours between meals and absolutely no snacking

9. Destiny

Destiny New Member

That is a very good question! I wonder about that as well.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I've never tried it before. But I'm willing to give it a go and see what happens.

11. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I agree! Nuts are one of the worst for me. The thing that works the best for me (keeps me from gaining), is not eating at night. I usually have something small when I get home (around 5), and them I'm done for the day.

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

keep us posted with how you are doing. Did you ever do Atkins? So many people did so well with that one - but- once again - not me. I didn't gain but I didn't loose either. Eating all that bacon and Brie etc. etc. was fun but not productive.

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Are you doing the Leptin RX? So - you have a small meal when you get home - you don't get hungry later in the evening? I seem to be waking up in the middle of the nite very hungry - even if feeling full when I go to bed. Don't know what that is about.

14. LinD

LinD New Member

Very interesting about your brother. How is he doing now?

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Are you doing the Leptin RX? So - you have a small meal when you get home - you don't get hungry later in the evening? I seem to be waking up in the middle of the nite very hungry - even if feeling full when I go to bed. Don't know what that is about.

16. differentstory

differentstory New Member

I started putting on weight when I was in the 6th grade. I have pictures where I was a very skinny kid - like stick/bone-skinny and then in 6th grade I remember stepping on the scale and weighing 110 when all of my friends were still well under 100. The weight has just climbed since then (to around 200 - I am 34). When in high school I always remember all of the girls "dieting" (i.e., starving themselves) and I soon was too. But no matter how little I ate, I could never get below 162. My weight was always 162.3 to be exact and I ALWAYS wore a size 12. And I would obsess about being a size 6 or 8 constantly. So I have always weighed at least 162 as a young adult EXCEPT. . . (I have a big except)

When I was 17, I got pregnant (on accident) and the weirdest thing happened to me. . .I quit thinking about weight and food and dieting. I was so sick of starving myself and knew I needed to eat better while I was pregnant, so I just started eating and eating. 3 months go by, it is summer, I had just been mostly laying on the couch or working, not paying attention to my body at all. . .and I finally decide I need to go get prenatal care. I will never forget that day where the woman at the clinic says "Let's get your weight." And I remember having this fleeting thought "Hm, I wonder what I'm going to weigh. I'm thinking I might have lost a bit." And, I step on the scale, she slides the numbers around and boom, it lands on 136!!!! 136?!!? Are you kidding?!?! I just knew she had done something wrong. But then I weigh myself again at home and am shocked that I get the same number!! I think that same weekend, we went out to try on clothes and a size 8 was TOO BIG for me. I couldn't believe it. I hadn't even been paying attention, but yes, I started noticing all of my clothes were big (although I was so focused on my belly).

I now obsess a lot about those 9 months and what I really *felt* like. I remember feeling "good". I remember thinking "man, this pregnancy thing isn't hard at all". I remember that I could not eat fast food. It would gross me out so much. I wanted the same foods all the time - Tyson chicken patties, oatmeal, steak, and baked potatoes. I pretty much ate only those foods for 9 months (I had no idea what healthy eating was then and I doubt my parents did either). I remember that I would get this "sickeningly" full feeling pretty quickly after eating and there was no way I was taking another bite after that. I would stop mid-meal and only finish half of my plate. It was the weirdest stuff.

At 9 months pregnant, I weighed 186 (so 23 pounds added to my prepregnancy weight) and my feet were CRAZY swollen so I know I was carrying a ridiculous amount of water. And after I had my son (who was a healthy 7 pound 11 ounce baby), I remember walking out of the hospital at 150!!! And this is coming from a girl who could never get below 162.3!!

From that point on, though, the weight piled on - pretty uncontrollably. My appetite was back, the fullness feeling was gone, and the weight just kept creeping up. My body then seemed to natually plateau at the 186 mark (which was my highest pregancy weight) for a few years. It was so exact it was eerie to me. And then from there, I have now always (always always) weighed in at 203. It's weird too because I can get so depressed and eat and eat and eat (eating out every meal) and I will not put on weight past the 203. Or if I do, without even trying, a few days later, it will come off again.

A few years ago I also did Weight Watchers. I was miserable. I was starving, stalled at 163.2 after losing almost exactly 50 pounds, kept at it for over 2 years, followed all of the conventional wisdom and got very depressed. If I exercised while doing WW, my weight loss will completely stop - almost like it sends my body into starvation mode and locks down my weight. And even after resorting to lipsuction and have 10 pounds removed (for $10k) - the scale STILL wouldn't even show anything less than 162.3. Coincidence!? I think NOT!

Six months later, with the scale still not budging, was the end for me. I got SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO depressed. I threw in the towel, opened the fridge and gained every stinkin' pound back. I was so sick of it - so sick of being so effing optimistic and not wanting to give up for 2 years and then hitting a brick wall. At that moment in my life I knew in my gut that it wasn't really "calories in/calories out". It was so much more than that. And no one had the answer. And I hate when no one has answers!!

So here I am. . .I'm 198 today, about 10 years later, and trying new and different things. HCG might be in my future. I am currently doing the Leptin RX, but haven't lost much weight on it. This is the first time ever I have been able to change my way of eating and not suffer immensely. I do feel like I could do this the rest of my life. And I love that I am watching my labs and trying to be the all-around perfect me, unlike with WW where my BP was high, cholesterol was high and carbs were high (and I was starving) and everyone just shrugged their shoulders when you mentioned it.

I will say, going back to my "exceptional weight loss" when I was 17 that today I believe (and also based on Gary Taubes book - Why We Get Fat) that us losing weight is not really 100% in our control. The reason WE are fat (you, me and everyone in this thread) is soooooo complex and is partly-controlled by on our hormones. I've gone to see several hormone doctors and when I tell them about my pregnancy weight-loss they all seem to get it and understand and don't act surprised in the least.

I just joined Dzugan Clinic and had my labs drawn today to start BHRT (hormone therapy) and 100% I believe it will be the final answer to weight loss for me. And my gut (big as it is) tells me it is the answer for many of you too. But again, that is just my opinion and I have a lot of those to go around!! :)

By the way, I was breast-fed as an infant.

17. differentstory

differentstory New Member

Oh, also, just wanted to see if this is common among any of us. . .

Ever since I was a teenager (after the onset of puberty), I have been TIRED (all in caps)! I find myself *sighing* a lot from what feels like exhaustion. I had a boyfriend once comment "Why do you always breath like that?" And I said "Like what??" And he said "Like you're depressed or pissed or something - it's really dramatic." I said, "I dunno. I am just tired. Why?" And he said "You always say that. You always say you are tired." But I didn't even realize I was sighing so much or complaining of being tired.

Today, I think that this is maybe an adrenal issue (i.e., a hormone issue). As I've gone VLC (very low carb) I've REALLY noticed it now.

Just wondering if any of you feel that way?

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi different story. In my opinion only - I think you would do so well on HCG. It seems to me that is what was going on in your pregnancy. Do you follow Colleen Coble's post? I think you would find her story so interesting both on this forum and the HCG forum. She knows a ton about this stuff and changed her life. Good luck

19. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Because colostrum is the first food -before breastmilk comes in -and each mother makes just enough (it's something like only a few teaspoons) for her baby.

Theoretically they could put bovine colostrum in formula, however it will not be a first food that colonises the gut that way. Though I'm sure it would be better than nothing. (It is also needed so infant cows don't die - I've spoken with many dairy farmers and if the calf doesn't get that first colostrum feed they will die. They leave mother and infant together for 24 hours and then they separate them - it is enough time to get the needed colostrum but not too much that the mother and baby calf don't bond too much (which makes separation all the more difficult.)