1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Were you an obese child?

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by jeanie@truelongmont.com, Apr 6, 2012.

1. I would love to trade tips and tricks and follow progress with people who were Obese children. I think there is probably a different outcome to lots of things. . .paleo/leptin rx/cold adaptation. Perhaps we can learn things that work /don't work and get a handle on timeline for repair for those who are tackling derangement from childhood.

Anybody?

2. ginastarke

ginastarke New Member

I grew up obese as a kid, but I pin that on growing up in the low fat 80's and early 90's. I was a raging little sugar junkie, and my mom thought she was doing the best thing for me with fat free cofee cakes, snackwells and such. Of course back then, people might have thought a ketogenic diet for a child would be tantamount to child abuse.

At my highest a few yerars ago I was 297 and have lost 100 more or less slowly, Starting off with LA Weight loss, then atkins, then paleo, now LR . Not because they didn't work ( Well, not LA weight lss as it was written/sold) But because :

On LA Weight Loss I was too lazy to cook a tiny portion of starches and didn't bother. Noticed I was less hungry and lost weight better when I skipped them and their prepackacked snacks (ya think?)

Lost most of my weight on atkins and for the most part loved it, but I wanted to weed out the processed foods, since I wanted to do better.

Did a 30 day challenge on paleo, gave up diet soda and sugarfree candy, and lost my taste for both.

And now i'm on LR. I like the results but I'm really looking forward to bieng LS (or at least a cholesterol retest) because I really miss my berries, avacdos, and especailly my SALSA! (I'm from San Diego- we put that **** on everything as the commercial says ;) )

3. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I was a fat kid, yep. While I was always fat, I was also fairly active with sports (not good at sports, but I at least tried) and such until 8th grade. When I got to high school, the sports were far more competative and I had self-esteem issues anyway, so I didn't even go out for any sports. I started doing nerdy-kid stuff instead (which I enjoyed far more anyway, to be fair). The weight really piled on in high school, and I've been right around the same size ever since minus two stints of losing almost 100lbs (and gaining it all back again both times).

For what it's worth, both my parents are heavy too, and always have been. I can look at pictures of my dad at any age and compare them to pictures of me at the same age, and we're pretty much on par build-wise.

4. Kcaliaz

Kcaliaz New Member

Born obese! I weighed 10 lbs, 15 oz at birth. Remained overweight, but not obese throughout childhood, teens and early adulthood. Now I'm fit, wear a size 6-8 and doing leptin rx to get my hormones where they should be.

5. agatha

agatha New Member

I was fat by the age of 12. I was addicted to the MSG in potato chips - couldn't stop eating them or anything else with MSG - I dread to think what that did to my hypothalamus. Also, we usually had a supper of bread and cheese sandwiches or cereal at bedtime (in addition to the other three meals). Interestingly my younger brother has always been thin. He has supersensitive satiety signalling and seems resistant to the allure of addictive foods. I remember him at the age of about eight, stopping halfway through a piece of his birthday cake, saying 'I'm full now'.

I've been eating paleo for a year and am free from food cravings and easily maintaining a reasonable weight for the first time in my life. It has been completely life changing.

6. I was 201 at our 6th grade weigh-in, and I have not been below that weight since. Would love to see any other lifetime obese women with long term weight losses. I know several people who've had surgery that lost weight, (myself included), but everyone who had been very overweight from childhood seemed to be quick gainers after the 1st year and never was able to lose the last 30%

If any women have had long term success in keeping weight off (that was obese from early childhood) I'd love to hear about them. It seems so rare! I'm loving this program, but still fighting food cravings and hunger. It's not nearly the obsession it used to be, so there is improvement.

I wonder what unique things we may have going on hormone wise etc. There must be some switch flicked on the hunger. . . (I guarandamnteeya it won't be dealt with with low palatability). It just seems it's a little different a type of thing than later in life obesity. Interestingly, I've been relatively HEALTHY except for weight by normal measures. I am hoping the CT and the melancortin-pathway will bypass this hunger/satiety thing.

7. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I wonder about the breastfed-leptin connection. Breastmilk is full of leptin and is what cultivates/sensitizes the leptin receptors in our body. Dr Kruse has been asked about this and says there is definitely a trajectory for non-bf humans that is troublesome (but likely not insurmountable). Additionally, I listened to a biochemist talk about leaky guts and he said that without the colostrum feeds in the first days after birth, the human gut will remain leaky for life (again, I'd question the irreversibility of this, but the point is still well taken). He said the point of colostrum is to seal the intestinal brush border because, in utero, we all have 'leaky' guts by necessity.

So... how many people who struggle with overweight their entire life are also people who were never breastfed? Obviously, this is not a single-factor equation and there will be MANY other components to weight and health. However, this initial set-up of the feeding system toward optimal could be key.

8. ColdBren

ColdBren New Member

Why don't they put colostrum in baby formula?

9. Me. I've been overweight ever since I can remember. And I was not breastfed; my mother didn't have any milk. Nor did I for my children.

I've also been allergic both to environmental ( dust, pollen, etc) and foods most/all of my life. My mother told me I was in the hospital at 9 months because my eczema was so bad.

I was probably 150-160 lb in 6th grade. In 7th grade year I swam a lot on a swim team practice and got down to 137lb. Then during 8th grade we stopped, and I went up to 180 lb, where I mostly stayed through high school, college, and my 20s, sometimes getting down to 160-170, but never for very long.

Since then, I gained weight over the years (mostly following low fat diets) until I weighed over 300lbs..

For me, Leptin RX is working for me, though slowly. I have now taken off 20-25 lbs since last summer.

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

I became overweight at the age of 12 or 13. I remained so until the last year of high school. I lost a lot of weight - didn't really know why. I wasn't able to eat much. I was at a boarding school. It was almost like having a breakdown of some sort. I slept alot and couldn't eat. I seem to keep my weight down by for a number of years trying not to eat much - pretty unhealthy. Then from my late 20's to mid 30's i had easy access to diet pills. I have struggled with 20 -30 pounds as long as I can remember and also bingeing. I had a very abusive mother so I am sure that contributed a lot [self esteem issues] I have always been on one diet or another but my husband was always so supportive [he really didn't care how much I weighed]

When I was about 35 I started a program called - the diet centre. You have 7oz of protein plus a few veg and 2 fruit. It worked very well. You go every day to weigh in - but it was hard to maintain. I did a few more programs like that and they worked - but maintaining was always the problem. The last program I did was called - DR. Bernstein. His clinics are primarily in Canada but there are a few on the East Coast of the U.S. This was very successful. It was the same type of eating - 7oz. protein plus some veg and fruit - but an interesting fact - every 2nd day I would go for a shot in the tummy. this program was administered by doctors and nurses. When asked what was in the shots they always said B vitamins but there was always rumours that it was horse urine!! Now I am wondering if it could have been HCG

All of these programs were sooooo expensive - I wish I had the money that I have spent on them - plus every diet book ever printed.

Thank God my husband was so kind supportive. When I look back at pictures - there were times when I was sure I was quite overweight but actually wasn't. The Leptin RX has been great with taking away the crazy hunger and cravings but I haven't lost any weight at all. I am about 5 pounds above what I would like to be - so - I will get there. I almost forgot - I love HCG. I lost 20 lbs.

11. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

I have been up and down all my life starting at the age of 5. I gained and lost. Then during the university years I would say I steadily gained about 10 lbs/year. Eventually I hit 201 in my late 20's. That turned me to calorie restriction & exercise and I somehow lost about 10 lbs/month and hit 118. That was the last time I ever lost weight easily! Of course I gained a significant amount of that weight back but haven't gone past 175. Like most of us, I probably tried every diet possible over the years. When I was on my way to weighing 200 lbs that was when the binging had started and even when I successfully losing those 10lbs/month I was starving but would usually allow myself to overeat once on the weekend!

I wasn't breastfed. I know I can't allow myself any cheats, that's when things fall apart for me.

12. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

if you call Dr B clinics they will tell you no there is no hcg however I`ve had 2 doctors independant of Dr B clinics confirm that there is hcg in the shots and that`s why the shots are prefilled and then shipped out.

Yeah you for being just 5lbs above where you want to be ;)

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thanks for telling me that. I have been wondering about it for ages. The really interesting thing is that I lost so well with dr. B and had the best lean body mass I have ever had. I carry my weight in my midsection but with dr b I leaned right out and it was pretty fast although very expensive! I can't seem to lose anything at all now. My weight is pretty stable. How are you doing? Are you able to lose? I don't think I am seeing much results from the spot icing like some are. Any thoughts?

14. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

like you I lost super well on Dr B only gained it back when I went through a combo of uber stress and shoulder injury for 5 months. lost again last year on HCG and was losing slightly on LR (no CT didn`t know about it then) but this fall a gluten challenge messed things up and since then I have struggled with 15lbs up and down. right now I`m fairly sure I am estrogen dominant as the weight I`ve put on has been on the thighs and upper arms so hoping that once my tests are back this can be dealt with!

15. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I've been overweight all my life. I was not breastfed. I had 7 brothers and sisters who did not have weight problems. I was the only one.

I've pretty much starved myself down to my current weight. From about 250 to 160. When I was a kid my mom started me on Weight Watchers. I gained weight following their program. They told me I had to be cheating. I wasn't. I gained with most other diets too.

Until Paleo, I would eat 1000 calories or less per day to maintain. To lose I'd have to drop to 500 calories. Now with Paleo, I'm eating between 1800-2200 and not gaining. I don't pay that much attention any more to calories. It used to be an obsession.

I'm thinking that I might try to do JUDDD for a few months to see what happens while eating Paleo. Now that I know that calories in/calories out is meaningless while eating Paleo, who knows ... ?? Anyone care to join me?

16. Llanabanana

Llanabanana New Member

What is JUDDD????

Yes I was the last of 4 kids in the family, I doubt I was breast fed. I have always been heavy...I started HCG in November and have managed to drop almost 50 lbs. I don't have cravings and I did the LR for six weeks in between HCG. I had some LS symptoms. I would love to drop at least another 20 after this round. Primal and LR has been wonderful. I would love to lose more that way, than with HCG, but its seems difficult.

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

I totally agree - I can't seem to lose anything on the leptinRX - in fact I gained about 4 ibs. HCG was great but seems pretty hard now after enjoying BABs [with lots of bacon!] men seem to drop weight like crazy - what else is new??? I am hoping that CT is the missing piece of the puzzle and we just have to hang in there and wait for results to show up someday!

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

Does anyone have any thoughts on all the books Dr. K recommends? Rob Wolfe, Loren Cordain etc. They al seem to have different ideas for shedding the weight. I am kinda sick of always buying all the books and then I still don't know what to do! I know it is very individual - but ----

I am pretty much the same as Phoenix - I have never lost on weight watchers [followed it exactly] or other programs. I always have to drop the calories right down to 500. Then we are usually told we are not losing because we haven't eaten enough! Ugh

19. janagram

janagram New Member

Ok, on hcg you can't have any fat except CO, as I understand it...or carbs...soooo you'd lose anyway, without the hcg, wouldn't you? The CO would stsrt the fat burning....so why do we eat a lot ofat on LR? I guess to kill the appetite....what do you guys think?

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

on HCG you aren't supposed to have any fat at all - in fact - you are supposed to be careful with makeup and creams and soaps etc. use only an oil free moisturiser. I think some people are now trying hcg and including CO and seeing what happens. If you go down to 500 cal with out hcg you start losing muscle mass. That's why it isn't a good idea to drop calories that low. I think we are kinda broken.