1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Wearing blue blockers in public?

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by John Smith, Feb 1, 2016.

1. nicld

nicld Gold

2. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

3. nicld

nicld Gold

seanb4 likes this.
  4. djd5

djd5 New Member

Anyone have experience with ordering bluetech, is it possible to order bpi 550 tint on bluetech lenses? Thanks.

5. dantothep

dantothep Follow life's little clues...

Hi DJD5,

No you want them for separate scenarios:

1. Blutechs block / attenuate certain frequencies of Blue/Violet and UV light. You would want these on in the daytime when working with any artificial light source (LCD, CFL etc).
    2. BPI 550nm block any wavelength less than 550nm, therefore blocking, some green, and all blue violet etc. These you want to wear everyday as soon as the sun goes down. I know a good lab to go to in the UK if you live jere for thse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color#/media/File:Rendered_Spectrum.png

6. djd5

djd5 New Member

Thanks Danto,

Here is my current situation:

I am a club dj, and at work there are tons of moving lights disco lights etc, and high lumen torches that security or managers flash at me.

blue light from dj equipment, giant led screens etc. i only work on weekends and my dj sets are usually 12 am - 4:30 am. Its pretty brutal TBH

there is a lot of bright lights i live in Hong Kong super densely populated city bright lights 24/7 Population density of 7 Million people.

for now for protection im using Ray Ban Wayfarers Polarised Shades UV400. Did i mess up by getting the polarised version? or should i have went with the darker Unpolarized lens.

I need the BPI 550 tints to protect my eyes. I called the optometrist i told her i wanted the BPI 550 Tints.

She was teling me the Bluetech Lenses were what i needed she says i need blue light during the day. I wasn’t feeling it would be enough, so i had to go into details of my work and environment.

I told her i work at 12am - 4am djing and sleep at around 5am

So she said she would talk to Tom Doud.

can anyone chime in if i should add a polarized coating on my BPI 550 tint Glasses as well as an anti scratch coating?

any input would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  7. dantothep

dantothep Follow life's little clues...

I know what Jack would say. But if you make enough in the w/end to support you without doing too much work in the week, you can spend HOURS outdoors in the sun (no shades), which will help massively.

Tom Daud is very experienced. You still might find that with BPI 550 there isn't enough luminance transmittance, to see every switch and fader in the booth. They block 70% of all light, I find the UVEX skypers which are closer to BPI 500 easier to do things like driving at night if i have to.

p.s. Most Pioneer DJ equipment uses like the DJM900, uses blue to signal various modes, eq etc. I found that mixing (as a novice) without some of these basic cues can be disastrous :).

http://www.callbpi.com/Therapeutic_Tints.html

8. djd5

djd5 New Member

Yes Danto we use the DJM 900 my issue is with the CDJ 2000's the led screen is super bright. and the security guards flash their high lumen torches at my face (Not Cool)
    I got the UVEX but that would be horrible to wear while djing. They are ugly as hell! Lol

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  9. djd5

djd5 New Member

Hi Danto

I do get alot of sun to help with my risks working on the weekends. and i do alot of other things to that help.

I thought Jack only recomended morning sun only 1-3 mins to shine in your eye, Just to set the eye clock.
    Then after that you can put protection on. My eyes would tend to hurt if theyre exposed to the sun too long.

In my usual routine I do not put on shades when i get sun, but im in Hong Kong which is close to the equator so i get move UV.
    So starting from today i bring a pair of shades out and wear then after I set my eye clock.

Thanks for the insight.

10. prime1

prime1 New Member

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Sunglasses during the day are akin to no blue light protection at nigth because of the wiring diagram of the eye's photoreceptors.
    If one thinks or believes sunglasses are fine they are not part of my tribe? Polarized sunglasses are even worse can may lead to higher cancer rates in those that wear them. This is why so many pilots and cops have high cancer rates. Why? Possible carcinogenic effects from filtering natural light were found in some of my old reading when I accidentally came across a description of a conversation Dr. John Ott had with Dr. Albert Schweitzer’s daughter. The conversation pertained to her experiences with her father at Lambarene, on the west coast of Africa, and the rate of cancer found among those people which was shockingly higher than Schweitzer expected based upon his travels to other native folks. She said that when her father had started the hospital there, there was no cancer at all, but now it was a major problem. She said that their simple surroundings had not changed or modernized at all.

The only thing he noted in his observations that were different was that natives all wore sunglasses as a status symbol of the civilized world. They could always be found wearing them “even when paddling their dugout canoes wearing no more than a loin cloth. Sunglasses were so prized that these new adornments carried a higher barter value than beads or other trinkets. So your eyes are the key to good health even more so than your skin. I never forgot this story once I learned it.

The corrolllary of why blue light during day or night is bad as well:

When light enters the eye it has to transverse many layers before the photons are sensed. The incident photons first pass the optic nerve fibers, ganglion cells which contain melanopsin, amacrine cells, bipolar neurons, horizontal neurons before they finally reach the rods and cones. This arrangement is bizarre to most who don’t understand light. To those of us who do, it makes complete sense. Below the rod and cone layers is the choroid layer of the retina (RPE).

Why is melanopsin located in the ganglion cell layer that is more superficial? I believe it is because blue light bends most under a prism during dusk. At dusk there is no UV light. This is why blue light creates the most visual blur on a retina when man uses it. This sets the tone for cataracts, AMD, and retinal diseases. It is also why blurry vision and headaches are the most sensitive cue to the astute clinician that blue light toxicity is present in a persons environment. This is why blue things in nature are so rare. Blue objects are never sharply seen by life’s creatures. Nature knows that blue light bends the most because of physics and has built the anterior chamber of the eye to take full advantage of it. This why the retina appears to built backward to our expectation. The photoreceptors are deep to the surface so that this limits the blue light hazard to the eye camera. Blue light always reduces the sharpness of sight. The global lighting industry today recommends bright blue spectrum bulbs for the elderly when it is clear from eye physics that we should be recommending bulbs with lower color temperature and incandescent bulbs to the aging eye. The fact is compounded when one considers that the federal government is now outlawing the general manufacturing and sale of incandescent bulbs to save energy! We may save electricity but we are going to increase neolithic disease in all groups by altering the spectral frequencies of indoor light. Fluorescent lights also flicker at 100 Hz. No one seems to realize that mitochondria need to oscillate at 100 Hz to fat burn properly. This causes more damage to the "eye clock mechanism" because it allows for more blue light assimilation to the ganglion layer to destroy the retina’s mitochondria in these cell layers. This is another reason fluorescent bulbs need to be removed from your indoor environments or just kept off. More bad news for the flickering effect is that LED light produce even more of it. Older people need to turn off all LED and fluorescent bulbs and only use incandescent bulbs, candles, or kerosene lamps inside. The older or more diseases eyes need to even consider the paint they chose in a room. If you do use indoor light that has a lot of blue light paint your rooms with complementary colors to blue such as yellow and orange and warmer earth tones. Try to avoid all shades of blue and white and reflective colors if you can. That can affect how the eye camera and eye clock function. It can also speed up all co-morbid diseases that the person may already have. Chronic blue light exposure wears out the integrity of our entire visual system and this causes time to speed up for the person whose environment is loaded with this color.

The eyes evolution is not based on what modern science believes either.

Today's factoid: the eye is only weakly optimized to take full advantage of the available solar spectrum. The erroneous belief often arises from a blind faith in the power of evolution to optimize absolutely, coupled with a misunderstanding of the nature of density distribution functions. That misunderstanding appears in a diverse range of scientific literature (see the enclose link as point of fact). Other constraints upon the eyes’ evolutionary optimization besides the Sun’s radiance were also important, such as the historically significant influence of the transmission of water, the susceptibility of potentially available biological materials such as photopigments to Blue light damage, and the instability of possible infrared sensitive photopigments. Contemplating why we did not evolve to use other mechanisms to produce a broader band visual sensitivity, as for an unlikely example electron–hole pair generation, would seem to be a futile exercise in a counterfactual history of evolution. But the question of how and why our vision evolved to employ its equally unlikely photoisomerization scheme for vision still remains an interesting and open issue that I think quantum evolutionary theory willl solve.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Lisbeth, Marilynn44, seanb4 and 4 others like this.
  12. DLO

DLO StarFish

Got Pics?

13. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Just to follow up the comments "Possible carcinogenic effects from filtering natural light were found in some of my old reading" and "Chronic blue light exposure wears out the integrity of our entire visual system and this causes time to speed up for the person whose environment is loaded with this color"

I play tennis most Saturday's from 1pm-5pm during the Australian summer (lots of bright blue cloudless skies) where UV index often will be at extreme level 12 dropping down to 4 at 5pm. Should I be wearing sunglasses (like everyone else) - No based on the above but what about blocking 415-455nm?

Macular Degeneration (MD) is the leading cause of blindness in Australia. I know DHA is protective and sunlight is 'balanced' but I am wondering if you have a mostly indoor existence, can sudden and chronic exposure to midday sun be damaging? (aka weekend warrior syndrome). Can you have too much of a good thing with regards to natural light - of course??

Also what about your mtDNA haplotype - I am J - loosely coupled Northern European / Near East

How can you tell if your RPE is being damaged?

This links back to Jason's article on the Quantum facebook page, in particular the chart showing RPE cell apoptosis (death) is greatest in the 415-455nm range.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    shiran likes this.
  14. Matty_M

Matty_M Purple Angel Club

Toby could you refer me to the evidence you're reffering to that Swannies don't block all blue light?

15. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Hey Matty!

I just emailed them last week to get some specs. heres there response.
    I ordered myself a pair for intermidiate use in the daytime around junk light. Ive got a pair off 580 nm true dark which are absolutley killer for the evening. sadly my custom 550nm oakleys got stolen from my car so thats why ive been shopping around.
    I couldnt afford to replace those badboys. The optomotrist here in Canada wanted 600$ just for blutech lenses no frame.

Matty_M and seanb4 like this.
  16. Sean L.

Sean L. New Member

I've hacked the swannies and although I wear them during the day, there are much better alternatives for blue blocking at night IMO.

I just don't see how it's possible they block 99% of blue light. The blue LED power button on my cable box is clearly visible with swannies on. So are the blue lights on my Xmas tree. Put on Uvex and these lights completely vanish.

I agree with TrueDark or CarbonShade being the most effective for nighttime use especially given they block the green spectrum in addition to blue.

17. Jake Tassell

Jake Tassell New Member

Stand up for yourself!

18. Matty_M

Matty_M Purple Angel Club

Awesome. Thanks.

Also, you can easily replace your 550 custom pair with one of our frames, or a frame of your choice, with or without a prescription at raoptics.io

19. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Ya sounds like a plan I was thinkin about carbon shades but I will deffinetly support you in my next blue blocker purchase.

20. AdamF

AdamF New Member

I didn't see the article on Facebook -- does anybody know where the picture is from?